PDA

View Full Version : Sleepover logistics

PunkyBoo
10-08-2012, 06:01 PM
I'd like to set up a sleepover for Punkin and his good friend J. J's mom told me he's never slept over at anyones house, and Punkin has never had anyone sleep over (and he's only slept at my ILs without us.) Our house has an open floor plan with the boys'rooms and guest bath at the front of the house and all hardwood floors, and the master suite is at the back of the house connected by the living room. Punkin has a full-size bed. If we invite J to sleep over, should I assume he'll sleep with Punkin in the bed? Punkin is a wild sleeper and often takes up the whole bed. He does have a 8' rug on the floor but I don't think there is room for both of them on the rug. The living room is carpeted but our master is literally right off the l.r. separated by glass French doors. We can close the doors and let the boys sleep in the living room but we do not currently have any curtains or anything to block the view into our room. Where do you host sleepovrrs? Where should I offer to put them? Is it rude to let Punkin sleep in his bed and put J on his floor? Should we offer J the bed and put Punkin on the floor?

Obvouisly this is new territory for us!

cuca_
10-08-2012, 06:05 PM
I would not put your guest on the floor. Do you have an air mattress, or even a spare mattress that you can move? Any chance that they can sleep on the bed together and not wake each other up? We recently hosted two friends for a sleepover and just brought two extra mattresses into DDs' room.

Also, be prepared to be woken up by a homesick kid. It might not happen, but we have had to drive guests home in the middle of the night before.

SnuggleBuggles
10-08-2012, 06:23 PM
We have put sleepover guests on the floor- no one seemed upset! An air mattress or for would be nicer. They may chose to share a bed but I wouldn't set that as the primary option.

Last slumber party was sleeping in the family room. We let them stay up all night. :)

queenmama
10-08-2012, 06:25 PM
I would offer him the bed or let them camp out in the living room. J might even feel more comfortable there, knowing you're close by. The proximity/glass doors wouldn't be a problem as long as you guys wear pajamas. ;)

niccig
10-08-2012, 06:32 PM
DS has a full over twin bunk. We've had our 2 god-DDs over for sleepovers. The 10 year old sleeps with DS in the full bed (their choice). The 7 year old sleeps on a sleeping pad and sleeping bag (she has from girl scouts). We've told her she can sleep in the top bunk, she wants the sleeping pad. Her mum said she's a wild sleeper, so can't share with anyone and even on the top bunk, she'd wake the other 2 up below.

When DS goes there, he shares the 10 yo's full bed and the 7 yo is in her own bed. (They share a room).

I think the floor is fine with a blow up mattress/sleeping pad.

mytwosons
10-08-2012, 06:36 PM
Let them build some type of "tent" and have them sleep in the living room.

We always leave a soft light on in our kitchen (visible from living room) and give the visitor a little flashlight to keep close at hand.

baileygirl
10-08-2012, 06:39 PM
I would just have different options when he gets there, and play it by ear. DS1 (5) slept over with his cousins where they all 3 slept on an air mattress in aunt/uncle's room. He has also slept over at a friend's house. She gave him the option of sleeping in the full sized bed (with friend), but he opted to sleep on the floor.

wellyes
10-08-2012, 07:34 PM
We do "everyone brings a sleeping bag".
If the boys want to end up in the bed, that's fine. In our case we had to separate the kids to get them to sleep so having another option was good.