PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Playmobil sets?

acmom
10-08-2012, 08:24 PM
I got a Columbus Day 20% off code for Playmobil in my email and am trying to decide what to order for DD for Christmas. She is 4 and really got into Playmobil a few months ago when she got several of the vacation sets for her birthday.

What sets have your kids loved or gotten the most play at your house? ( Gender neutral would be a bonus since DS is starting to show interest too!)

Thanks!

mom2khj
10-08-2012, 09:46 PM
I think ours all get pretty equal play. As far as the larger sets go, they have two houses (I think the suburban house and the grand mansion), the school, the zoo, the vet center and the castle.

KrystalS
10-09-2012, 09:00 AM
I think our small sets get way more play than the big sets I've bought. We do have the big house, the grand mansion I think its called, the hospital is rarely played with but she does play with the accessories. We had some of the zoo sets and those were barely touched so I sold them. People, animals, cars get the most play, if you have never done playmobil I would start with several smaller sets and see what she likes. Definitely get a car of some type, our school bus and mini van get a lot of play. I know a lot of people recommend the motorhome, ours doesn't get much play but I know lots of people rave about it.

My DD started her collection when she was 4 and we have tons now, she still plays with it frequently. My son is 2 and he has just started playing with it. It is a great investment.

hellokitty
10-09-2012, 09:02 AM
Unfortunately, most of the playmobile I bought for my kids was a waste. They liked a few of the sea creatures (ie: manta ray, etc.) series, just b/c they are really into ocean stuff. However, the other stuff has been a miss. My friend whose son is really into playmobile, highly recommend the vet hospital. She said her son loved it.

missym
10-09-2012, 09:14 AM
My girls love the pirate sets.

Seitvonzu
10-09-2012, 09:22 AM
we have all the wedding playmobil. i like the buildings more than my child does...but the church does often have an assortment of calico critters/disney princesses (pollly pocket size) and playmobil figures in it :) i think "elvis" gave a concert there a month or so ago :)

our playmobil is super random-- but the figures and the smaller sets definitely get play. we have tons of the christmas stuff which my daughter really loves (i try to only have it out post halloween through januaryish). we also have the wedding stuff, the takealong house from a couple generations ago, the take along school (which i thought would get lots more action...but it just really doesn't yet), a bunny set (which is retired but AMAZING).....

when i was growing up i LOVED the grand mansion. if we didn't already have a calico critters manor...i'd push for that. i love the furniture- it's all so adorable :) i also really like the castle, but i've liked previous generations better (this one is so PINK that it looks a little "mattel" to me which i equate with "cheap".... the furniture used to seem more elegant to me too). we have a M&D fold up castle...so another castle seems pretty redundant,so i've resisted.

does your daughter have the pool set from vacation? my daughters best friend has that and my daughter LOVES it. she always asks for it at barnes and noble (she never really requests anything...).

have you seen the new western line? i thought it was adorable when i was at ToysRUS the other day. the stage coach was AWESOME and i thought the takealong was pretty cute too (i think it was 25% off-- so it was something like 30? good deal!) the cowboys/indian sets were super neat too. what kid isn't fascinated by tipis? :)

i agree that cars/boats/things that GO have big play value.

i think you should just let your kids browse around at toys r us or somewhere and see what they gravitate too :) there are so many themes that it's going to be hit or miss with each kiddo! have fun! (love playmobil!)

Seitvonzu
10-09-2012, 09:23 AM
oh- i do have to say that the pirate sets have been "hits" around here. especially if you get one with a cannon. CANNONS ARE AWESOME :) we have the skull playset...it's slightly creepy but super fun :)

missym
10-09-2012, 09:25 AM
oh- i do have to say that the pirate sets have been "hits" around here. especially if you get one with a cannon. CANNONS ARE AWESOME :) we have the skull playset...it's slightly creepy but super fun :)

That's the favorite set around here, too. The cannon is used for many non-piratey scenarios, as well. ;)

brittone2
10-09-2012, 09:27 AM
I agree the big sets can be overwhelming.

We get the most play out of vehicles...a car (DS1's first foray into PM when he was about 4 was the car tune up shop set, which was small but fun). They also really like the mini van, a jeep we have that can pull a horse trailer, and the camper. The vehicles and the people figures get the most play at our house, by far.

DS1 got the camper around age 4-4.5 and DD was about 18 months. It was an instant hit with both of them. DD was too young for PM in theory, but she really just jumped right in and so began her PM love.

DS2 is now getting into it as well.

My kids use the knights with a wooden play castle we have.

acmom
10-09-2012, 02:08 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions! We have the pool, motorboat, little beach and small playground which are all getting played with quite regularly. I was thinking of getting another vehicle or 2 which sounds like a good plan. And i was debating between going with one other big set or a few little ones and sounds like the little ones may be the way to go.

Are the take along sets a good way to go? (I was looking at school, vet clinic or hospital) or are some of the smaller sets with just accessories and people better?

ETA: I think the pirates and western stuff look fun, but DD flips right by those pages in the catalog, so don't think they would be my best bet at this point.

KrystalS
10-09-2012, 02:35 PM
Are the take along sets a good way to go? (I was looking at school, vet clinic or hospital) or are some of the smaller sets with just accessories and people better?

We don't have any of the take along sets, but we have other toys that DD uses with her playmobil. I think it really depends on your DC and what else you have. DD uses her doll house as a hospital, school, hotel, etc etc. DS likes to use the animals/people with his LP sets. I would also suggest looking through the add on pages. We got a set of fences that DD uses ALL the time, animal pen, jail, zoo, etc.

Since you already have playmobil you might consider one of the sets that could have various uses, like the farmhouse or summer home.

swissair81
10-09-2012, 11:15 PM
DD1 wanted hospital sets for her birthday last February. Instead of the big hospital- I got her a take along set, the ambulance, hospital room, OR, and a few smaller figures. She plays with it all the time.