PDA

View Full Version : What is your cleaning/sanitizing plan after LO poops in the bath?

okinawama
10-08-2012, 08:30 PM
My 18 month old son has been pooping in the bath lately. I obviously drain the bath, spray a little bathroom cleaner and give it a quick wipe down. If the kids desperately need a bath I pop them back in, if not, we end after the clean up. My DH would like me to use a significant amount of bleach and some scalding hot water each time it happens. He pointed out to me though that our children often put the bath toys in their mouth (and occasionally drink the water....I stop it of course, but still...), and we should really be thoroughly sanitizing the tub each time it happens, but sheesh, that's so much work.

What's your plan of attack?

hillview
10-08-2012, 08:32 PM
honestly your cleaning method would be fine with me. I think I used a couple of bleach wipes when I had them (we don't have bleach on hand anymore).

blisstwins
10-08-2012, 08:33 PM
This has not happened in a long time in my apartment (my children are much older), but I used to use some bleach and hot water from the tap.

Momit
10-08-2012, 08:38 PM
Funny, I think my DS was about that age the first time he pooped in the tub. I had just been thinking how glad I was that he had never done that and - bam! There it was.

First I got an old yogurt container and removed the solid pieces. I drained the tub, cleaned with regular bathroom cleaner, and then poured some boiling water over the bottom and sides. I did also take out all the toys and clean them with soap and hot water.

I'm not a crazy germophobe but it did freak me out a little. It happened several more times over a few month period, then stopped completely well before potty training.

sste
10-08-2012, 08:38 PM
Dh. :)

rin
10-08-2012, 08:39 PM
The first time, I think I followed your DH's plan. By the twelfth time, I was on your plan. Nobody seemed to suffer ill effects. I'd tell your DH he's welcome to do the cleanup however he likes. ;)

Honestly? Kids eat dirt. Dirt is full of animal poop. Kids lick toys that have been on the floor, people walk on the floor, their shoes have been outside touching pavement/dirt/all manner of filth. Not saying I'd encourage them to drink poopy bathwater or anything, but I think a rinse and a quick spritz of bathroom cleaner is plenty.

BDKmom
10-08-2012, 08:45 PM
We use the spray cleaner that has bleach in it. So when it happens, I take DS out of the tub, let water drain out, remove poo, run the water as hot as I can get it, pour cupfulls over the top of the toys, spray down with cleaner, rinse, remove toys, give tub a spray down, rinse, then put DS back in and scrub him off (don't run a new bath, just use water from faucet. The hardest part is keeping DS occupied while I do this, but I usually just close the door and move quickly. If I'm really wanting to be quick, I just take the toys out and put them in the sink to be cleaned later. Don't think I would want DS playing with them again until there was bleach involved.

Snow mom
10-08-2012, 09:00 PM
Dh. :)

:rotflmao: This is my approach too! Although we were lucky and DD only pooped in the bath once. From a disinfecting perspective: 10% bleach wipe down of all surfaces and air dry (don't rinse the bleach solution).

123LuckyMom
10-08-2012, 10:01 PM
It only happened twice in our house, so I did bleach and hot water from the tap. I took the toys out and washed them with soap in the sink. I think your method is fine. If DH wants to do a more thorough job, he should go for it!

wellyes
10-08-2012, 10:10 PM
I don't use bleach, it is caustic and gives me hives. I think what you do is fine.

mikala
10-08-2012, 10:20 PM
I pull out solids, drain water, spray tub and toys down with 50/50 vinegar/water, let it sit for a bit, wash with soap if needed, and rinse with a shower of the hottest water we have.

bostonsmama
10-08-2012, 10:29 PM
We used a Method bathroom cleaner so that there wasn't a nasty residue and if LO got back in the water, your LO wouldn't be drinking cleaner mixed w/ water. We had more poop around 1yr than 18 mos. Talk to LO about it: poo poo is for diapers or the potty.

Pee-pee, unless it's a lot, I don't even worry about now b/c I figure I can't see most of it. She's constantly drinking bath water and even trying to suck water out of the drain as it goes down, much as we try to stop her. LOL Sweet DD has only been sick twice in 2 years. I'm serious.