PDA

View Full Version : Heart Palpitations While Sleeping

arivecchi
10-11-2012, 09:37 AM
I used to experience tachycardia a lot as a teen and in my 20s but had not had an episode for a while. Now for the past two nights, I have woken up with heart palpitations. Should I be concerned? I don't remember experiencing them at night before.

missym
10-11-2012, 09:40 AM
Have you been taking decongestants? Could you be dehydrated? Both will cause mine to act up. Probably worth mentioning to your doctor since it's a change.

arivecchi
10-11-2012, 10:01 AM
Thanks missy. I placed a call to my doctor. It could be dehydration. I'm really bad about drinking water.

scriptkitten
10-11-2012, 10:10 AM
Hope you are ok!!

mommylamb
10-11-2012, 10:51 AM
:hug: Hopefully it's nothing. Always scary though when these things happen.

elektra
10-11-2012, 02:13 PM
A few months ago I started getting heart palpitations at night too, bu it was when I would first lay down, and not in the middle of the night like what you are experiencing. I googled it and I guess that is not uncommon (when you first lay down).
It was so weird too because it did not seem like a panic attack- I was calm, except my heart would just start racing and sort of skipping beats.
I never did see a dr. though. :/
Waking up in the middle of the night does seem more concerning though. I might call the dr. and also start drinking more water, less caffeine in the pm, etc.

theriviera
10-11-2012, 11:21 PM
I would call your doctor, just to be on the safe side.

I also have heart palpitations and it's due to low magnesium. I take MagOx (400mg a day) and it really helps.

Your doc can check your magnesium levels with a blood draw.

DrSally
10-11-2012, 11:26 PM
Hope it's nothing, but glad you called the doc.

Melbel
10-12-2012, 12:21 AM
I had palpitations during pregnancies which was scary. I hope you feel better!

arivecchi
10-12-2012, 10:39 AM
Well, I called the doc yesterday and they had me come in. They did an ekg and will be running some blood tests. They also want me to wear a monitor probably because there is history of heart disease in my family. :( I did not have any last night though, but that could be because I barely slept. :irked:

Globetrotter
10-12-2012, 11:26 AM
I'm glad they are on top of it :hug:

Beth24
10-12-2012, 01:01 PM
I'm sorry you didn't get much rest, but glad you're on top of it!

cuca_
10-12-2012, 03:31 PM
Are you under a lot of stress? I experienced some heart palpitations when I was in my 20s. I had tests and wore a monitor and they did not find anything wrong. My cardiologist thought that it was probably stress related. I think he was right, because once I switched jobs I stopped having them.

I hope it is nothing serious and that you get some answers.

arivecchi
10-12-2012, 03:32 PM
Thank you. It could very well be related to stress and sleep deprivation. I will be wearing a monitor for 30 days so hopefully they will catch any irregularities during that time period.

elektra
10-12-2012, 03:34 PM
Thank you. It could very well be related to stress and sleep deprivation. I will be wearing a monitor for 30 days so hopefully they will catch any irregularities during that time period.

Hopefully they can figure things out with the monitor. PT for you!

DrSally
10-12-2012, 03:36 PM

The monitor should give a good picture. Stress and sleep deprivation brought on my first migraine ever last weekend. It was bad.

echoesofspring
10-16-2012, 12:36 PM
Hope everything is ok, Arivecchi, and that you get some rest....

Could sleep apnea trigger heart palpitations?