PDA

View Full Version : FYI: Breast pumps covered as of 8-1-12 under new healthcare laws ("Obamacare")

AngB
10-11-2012, 11:17 AM
Just looked into this for myself, and it seems it's true.

Under the Affordable Health Care Act / "Obamacare", insurance is required to cover the cost of a breast pump (hospital grade rental or purchase at their discretion) with no copay, deductible, etc.

Any new insurance plan after August 1st, 2012 should cover it, or existing plans are required to cover it when they renew. (My plan renews Nov.1st, my scheduled c-section is Oct.26th, so I'll have to wait a couple days but hopefully they won't give me too much trouble. I know a lot of people have their plans renew Jan.1st.)

Here's what my health insurance, United Healthcare says about it (though obviously plans my vary...since it will be required under law, I doubt it will vary that much..):

Benefit Category: Personal Care, Comfort or Convenience
Health Care Reform – Well Women’s Health
For new and renewing plans effective 8-1-12 or after.
For existing plans on their renewal date on or after 8-1-12.
Breast Pumps
Benefits for the cost of renting one breast pump per Pregnancy in conjunction with childbirth is covered under Preventive Care Services at 100% of Eligible Expenses (without application of any
Copayment, Coinsurance or Deductible). Any exclusion under the Personal Care, Comfort or Convenience section is revised to not apply to breast pumps provided under the conditions stated above.

If more than one breast pump can meet your needs, Benefits are available only for the most cost effective pump. We will determine the following:

• Which pump is the most cost effective.
• Whether the pump should be purchased or rented.
• Duration of the rental.
• Timing of an acquisition.

National Breast Pump Providers
Non Hospital Grade Pump can be obtained from:
Edgepark
Genadyne
Hospital Grade Rental can be obtained from:
Apria
Genadyne
Note: These National Providers will overnight pumps to members and a physicians prescription is not needed.

Unfortunately, the guy who answered my call had no clue about any of this and was less than helpful about how to go about this other than reading me what this said.

lizzywednesday
10-11-2012, 12:30 PM

Unfortunately, the guy who answered my call had no clue about any of this and was less than helpful about how to go about this other than reading me what this said.

I would like to know how they determine "cost effective" quite frankly.

If I'm pumping say, 3x/day for 5 days/week, I would like to have a double-electric that's lightweight and reliable.

If my plan is only going to cover the cost of a manual pump, however, I'd be livid about that and would certainly make a stink!

Also, how soon after your C-section will you need a pump?

Snow mom
10-11-2012, 03:08 PM
According to my current plan booklet they'll only cover a manual pump :nodno: I pumped for 15 months with DD. I'd really like to get a freestyle because the bigger pumps are such a pain to lug around daily.

mommylamb
10-11-2012, 03:11 PM
The pump coverage didn't help me, as I purchased the pump I'm currently using back when I had DS1 5 years ago. But, just wanted to note that you can also claim any breastfeeding supplies back from your FSA now. I'm an over producer and I leak, so I use a lot of nursing pads, and you can claim them back. I also bought new tubing and phlanges and bottles for my pump this year that I could claim back.