PDA

View Full Version : AG Doll sized loft bed - rave!

MMMommy
10-13-2012, 01:32 PM
I caved and couldn't resist when I saw this at Toys R' Us yesterday. I bought two at 20% off (spend $100, get 20% off your total purchase) in-store. There is a printable coupon online for that, so just do a search. The set comes with bedding, bean bag, tv, laptop computer, a chair (for the attached desk), ladder for the bunk bed, a fuzzy area rug, and vinyl, reusable stickers to decorate the set. The attached picture shows it without the stickers. Comes with a lot for the price.

They came out to $43.99 each, plus tax, which I think is a great deal. Same as this one here- http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4082098.

Just a warning - the first set I put together was fine. The second set, a couple of the screw holes were stripped and wouldn't tighten. Had to exchange the second set for another one. So like any product you have to put together, there may be some defective parts that may have to be exchanged.

Just thought I would post this, as I know many have DDs that are into AG or AG-like dolls. The AG loft bed is about 4 to 5 times the price of this one, albeit very cute.

WitMom
10-16-2012, 07:40 AM
Oh my, that is cute. But Dd1 already has a bed for her AG doll, and all heck would break loose if DD2 got this and DD1 didn't. What to do, what to do?

KrisM
10-16-2012, 08:04 AM
Are all the designs online stickers? DD is getting this from my parents for Christmas. I wonder if it's just stickers, could we paint it so it's not just plain white underneath? That would be great!

Thanks for the heads up on the screws. I'll have them put it together.

Edit: Where do I get the TRU coupon? I looked in Bargains and don't see it in the printable thread or by searching. Thanks.

MMMommy
10-16-2012, 09:59 AM
The designs are reusable, vinyl stickers. The set is just plain white if you don't put the stickers on (like in my picture, not the TRU link).

Somehow I came up with the TRU in-store printable coupon online after typing "20%" and "$100" in Google. Or you can order online if you spend $125 or more right now and get 20% off there too. Sorry I couldn't find the printable link for 20% off $100 or more.

KrisM
10-16-2012, 02:30 PM
I found the coupon...right on TRU's site! http://www.toysrus.com/graphics/media/trus/101012_RUs_viralcoupon.pdf

Thanks for the decal info. I might paint it.

AnnieW625
10-16-2012, 06:16 PM
That is awesome! I think we are finally going to bite the bullet and get DD1 an AG doll for Christmas. We were thinking a doll house, but the last week she has been wanting Marie-Grace (plus one of the dogs, which I think I have seen at Costco) so I think we are going to cave. I was curious about McKenna's bunk bed as well, but this might fit the bill. I might tell DH's parents (who usually just send a check) that we will use part of the check to buy her the bed as well.

Babies R Us coupons usually work at TRU as well. I'll be on the look out for one of those.

MMMommy
10-16-2012, 07:15 PM
For those of you on the fence, I have to say that the loft bed set is a great playset for the price. DD2 said "it is like a dollhouse for my American Girl doll." Not sure how it compares to the make and build of the AG Mckenna loft set, but it is certainly cheaper at almost 1/5 of the price!

If you notice, one end of the Journey Girls loft set is bulkier and more solid (where the desk attaches), and the other end is narrower/thinner (the "ladder") side. I refer to the narrower/thinner end as the "ladder" end, even though you can put the ladder anywhere on the set. I could see the "ladder" end cracking or breaking if DCs aren't careful when transporting it. I recommend that an adult move the set from room to room, versus DCs doing it. I can see how it could break if mishandled or played with roughly. But overall, it is very cute and includes a lot for the price. I think the modern look of it is appealing to DDs over a standard doll bed.

As noted before, not all pieces may be perfect. You may encounter stripped screw holes and things like that when building it. You might even want to buy two sets in case one has defective parts, so that you don't have to make two trips to TRU (although you would have to make a trip back to return the defective set).

Twoboos
10-16-2012, 07:24 PM
This bed is definitely tempting! DDs have both been obsessed with McKenna's trillion dollar loft bed. This one is easier on the wallet!

MMMommy
10-16-2012, 09:08 PM
We were thinking a doll house, but the last week she has been wanting Marie-Grace (plus one of the dogs, which I think I have seen at Costco) so I think we are going to cave.

Costco also has the American Girl book set with mini doll. The AG book set comes with five books and the mini-doll for something like $36.99. I remember seeing the book/mini-doll sets for Marie-Grace, Cecile, Kit, Samantha, Caroline, and Rebecca.

craftysierra
10-18-2012, 09:08 AM
Does the doll fit on the chair and under the desk? DD1 's request is a bunk bed and also a table this could be a compromise.

MMMommy
10-18-2012, 04:16 PM
Does the doll fit on the chair and under the desk? DD1 's request is a bunk bed and also a table this could be a compromise.

The doll can sit on the chair, but doesn't fit so much sitting at the desk. The chair is really too small for the doll. So if you want a good fitting table and chair for the doll, this wouldn't be the greatest fit for that.