PDA

View Full Version : Pumping and business travel

BDKmom
10-15-2012, 10:01 AM
I will be traveling to a conference in a couple of weeks and am not sure what I should do about pumping, specifically whether I should try to store the milk somehow and get it back home or just dump it. I will be leaving home on Sunday, around 11 AM. I get to my destination city around 2:30, and will be staying with a friend Sunday night and visiting her family during the day Monday, so I can easily pump and store those two days. Then I check into my hotel Monday afternoon, and only have a welcome dinner that night. Not too hard to work around, but not sure about storage options. Then the whole day Tues will be in training, but in same hotel, so I assume I could make it back to my room to pump a couple of times during the day. Check out of hotel around 9 AM Wed morning. Arrive home around 3 PM Wed. Won't have transportation other than a car to airport after Mon afternoon.

So, should I bother with keeping the pumped milk and try to somehow get it back home, or not mess with it and just dump? I don't have a large stash at home, and DD will wipe that out while I'm gone and likely have to have some formula, too, to make it that long without me. I'm OK with that part, just hate to waste the milk from 3+ days.

Any suggestions or tips? I've never traveled away from DC while BF before.

wendibird22
10-15-2012, 10:28 AM
I've traveled and pumped before and always managed to keep/store/transport. First, call the hotel you are staying at and request a mini fridge. Tell them it's for medical purposes and they usually won't charge you for it.

In addition to your milk storage bags bring several zip lock bags. Use some to double bag the milk storage bags (to prevent leackage) and some to store hotel ice. You can use blue gel packs but I didn't want to mess with TSA with them so I just used regular ice.

Do not freeze the milk. You just need to keep it cold. If you freeze it, it'll likely thaw on the way home and then you'd have to use it right away.

Save the newspaper that gets delivered to your hotel room and use it to wrap/insulate the milk and ice in a cooler bag.

During the day you can keep your pumped milk at room temp for 4-6hrs so if you can't get it to a fridge right away or you pump in the airport, you should be fine. Just store it in your pump bag.

At the airport let TSA know you have a bag 'o breastmilk. Many will jump back from you like you just said you had a live grenade. 2yrs ago the Phoenix airport took me aside for a full body pat and opened the cooler bag for inspection. Most other don't so long as I put the bag through xray (which I don't mind doing). If you are at all worried about TSA you can print off their guidelines about handling breast milk and be ready to "train" the agent.

If you have a lay over or get delayed at departure you can always restock your supply of ice in the ziplocks by visiting any eatery and asking for a refill of ice.

IMO it is a bit extra work and hassle but wasn't so much work that it swayed me from doing it. I just couldn't bring myself to waste it all and like you, I needed to restock my supply at home.

Good luck!

mommylamb
10-15-2012, 11:09 AM
I bet the hotel will do everything possible to accommodate you. I hope so, at least.

I did some business travel this summer, but I opted to pump and dump because I was gone for a week, so it would have been a lot of milk and I didn't want to deal with it. I also produce a lot, so dumping it wasn't as upsetting for me as it is for a lot of people. But, I seriously dumped probably a gallon and half of milk! It was nuts.

BDKmom
10-15-2012, 11:10 AM
Thanks so much! I knew someone here would have BTDT and have it all figured out. I'll have to check on getting a mini fridge. I guess worst case scenerio, I could just keep refreshing the ice in my cooler every few hours, right? Although, this is a pretty upscale hotel, so I wouldn't think it would be a problem to get a fridge. Their website says they have a minibar in room, but I know sometimes those are just stuffed with their products and automatically charge for anything you remove, so may not be able to use that.

Thanks again for the help!

hillview
10-15-2012, 11:11 AM
I've traveled and pumped before and always managed to keep/store/transport. First, call the hotel you are staying at and request a mini fridge. Tell them it's for medical purposes and they usually won't charge you for it.

In addition to your milk storage bags bring several zip lock bags. Use some to double bag the milk storage bags (to prevent leackage) and some to store hotel ice. You can use blue gel packs but I didn't want to mess with TSA with them so I just used regular ice.

Do not freeze the milk. You just need to keep it cold. If you freeze it, it'll likely thaw on the way home and then you'd have to use it right away.

Save the newspaper that gets delivered to your hotel room and use it to wrap/insulate the milk and ice in a cooler bag.

During the day you can keep your pumped milk at room temp for 4-6hrs so if you can't get it to a fridge right away or you pump in the airport, you should be fine. Just store it in your pump bag.

At the airport let TSA know you have a bag 'o breastmilk. Many will jump back from you like you just said you had a live grenade. 2yrs ago the Phoenix airport took me aside for a full body pat and opened the cooler bag for inspection. Most other don't so long as I put the bag through xray (which I don't mind doing). If you are at all worried about TSA you can print off their guidelines about handling breast milk and be ready to "train" the agent.

If you have a lay over or get delayed at departure you can always restock your supply of ice in the ziplocks by visiting any eatery and asking for a refill of ice.

IMO it is a bit extra work and hassle but wasn't so much work that it swayed me from doing it. I just couldn't bring myself to waste it all and like you, I needed to restock my supply at home.

Good luck!
AWESOME post! :yeahthat:

BDKmom
10-15-2012, 11:15 AM
I bet the hotel will do everything possible to accommodate you. I hope so, at least.

I did some business travel this summer, but I opted to pump and dump because I was gone for a week, so it would have been a lot of milk and I didn't want to deal with it. I also produce a lot, so dumping it wasn't as upsetting for me as it is for a lot of people. But, I seriously dumped probably a gallon and half of milk! It was nuts.

Yes, I'm sure the hotel has had this come up before. If they give me any hassle, the company hosting the event should be able to help me make arrangements.

I really want to stay on top of everything to make sure my supply stays up. We are going to be just past the 5 month mark, and that is the point with DS where I stopped BF because my supply just wasn't there anymore. This time I have done everything I can to try and maintain it after going back to work. Here's hoping this trip won't disrupt anything. And it will sure be nice to not lose all that milk, since I have worked so hard for it!