PDA

View Full Version : Disney 'bests' overview from my friend

magnoliaparadise
10-15-2012, 10:16 AM
Hi Everyone,

I know nothing about Disney, but my friend just went with her son and she has two friends who are serious knowledgeable about Disney so they put together a 4 day (my friend didn't want to go longer) trip, one park per day. She wrote to me about it and I wanted to post it here in case it would help someone planning a trip, now or in the future. And, of course, if you have any thoughts based upon what she wrote, please feel free to add anything!

This is her summary of her Disney trip:

xxxxxxxxx

So...Disney! We have to find time to discuss. Honestly, without my friends, who have been to Disney over 100 times and know the parks like their own backyard, I don't know that we could have survived it intact. It was exhausting for everyone! They had us out the door by 7:30 every morning for early entry (that you get for being in a resort) and we didn't wait in a single line. We rode the rides/saw the attractions we wanted to more than once. We were back at the resort by 1 p.m. most days for a lunch then siesta or an afternoon in the pool. Two nights we went back to the parks for rides and fireworks. Getting to the parks after 9 a.m. is kind of a disaster -- the lines quickly grow to 2 hour waits and it's very hard on everyone because the heat is so oppressive. It's not a relaxing vacation either way, thats for sure. But if you are going to do it, you have to be really organized. Figure out what you want to see before hand. Here's what we did:

EPCOT:
Rides -- Soarin' (hang gliding) -- have someone take your tickets and run to this to get "fast pass tickets". When the doors open, everyone will run to Soarin'. An hour after opening, no fast passes will be available. While that person is doing that, go to the Aquarium, and rideThe Seas with Nemo and Friends. It's really cute and drops you off at a lovely aquarium. While there be sure to see Turtle Talk with Crush (from Nemo). It's really clever. Lunch: World Showcase -- have lunch at Via Napoli in Italy -- the pizza is great. You will need reservations! Game: Phinneas and Ferb. It's a scavenger hunt. Our kid loved it. On your way out: Spaceship Earth -- Tommorrow land, it's a slow ride, but a classic.

HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS:
Rides (for Grown ups): Rockin' Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror. You should get fast passes for one and then ride the other in the mean time. I didn't ride it, but my husband said they were intense and fun.
Toy Story Mania and Muppet Vision 3D. There is also a "Honey I shrunk the kids" playground. It's OK, but it's really for younger kids and you won't be able to see your kids once they get in there. This was a short day for us, so we didn't see many other attractions. Our Character dinner was that night so we spent the afternoon in the pool (there was a giant waterslide)...that was the best day, for sure.

ANIMAL KINGDOM:
We got there for early entry and were one of the groups on the Safari. That's where everyone heads. Have someone get fast passes for "Everest" roller coaster for the adults. They can cut across the park and meet you at the Safari. Festival of the Lion King -- get there about 20 mins. before show time. It doesn't really matter where you sit. I would avoid "it's tough to be a bug" -- it is way too scary for kids. Trust me. Try the Jungle Trek -- it's a walking trail and it's great. Make sure you see the bats!!! Pangani Forest trail is lovely also. Your daughter might like Triceritop spin -- it's like the Dumbo ride in Magic Kingdom.
We left the park and went to Sanna for Lunch at the Animal Kingdom. It was DELICIOUS and very cool. You will need reservations!! The giraffes, zebras are just outside the window. It has a very relaxed feel.

MAGIC KINGDOM:
Rides: Splash Mountain (you will get wet), Big Thunder Railroad (we loved it), Space Mountain -- it is VERY intense -- and you sit in a single line. I think it's too intense for little kids, but people take their kids on it. While we rode Space Mountain, kids rode Buzz lightyear. DUMBO -- big hit. The one on the right is the original. Winnie the Pooh - fun. Peter Pan's flight (we rode it 3 times -- 2 times too many). It's A Small World -- its 10 mins in a boat with a hundred dolls singing "it's a small world" over and over. And over. I will text you the video of me losing my mind when we got "stuck" at the end. TomorrowLand People mover -- good for a rest in the air conditioning. Mickey's PhilHarmagic (4D) -- my kid squealed with glee, it was fun. We didn't see it, but the Hall of Presidents is supposed to be good. We went back at night for the Halloween party, I think I mentioned that. The fireworks were crazy! A wee bit scary but FABULOUS.

If you are staying at a resort, I would consider stopping at Whole Foods and getting breakfast stuff. You will NOT want to waste time in the morning at a restaurant or spend time eating in the parks. That will cost you valuable time -- you won't believe how your day will go from no lines and sparse crowds to masses of people and 2 hour waits for a 2 min ride. It does mean that there is no lingering - it's a bit of dashing to rides and attractions -- but if you are melting by late morning (it gets hot), you could take your daughter to the misters or wet playgrounds and let her chill for an hour.

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

OP here again. That was my friend's email to me. Hope that was helpful! And again, if you have anything to add or say, please feel free!

Mama of 4.5 yo and 1 yo and hoping to go to Disneyworld some day when my wee one is a bit older.

newnana
10-16-2012, 09:44 AM
thank you for this!!!! I am still overwhelmed by the disboards and this is a fabulous synopsis. :yay:

magnoliaparadise
10-17-2012, 04:51 AM
So glad that you liked it! When I saw how many people had read the post, but no one had commented, I wondered if it was the right place to post. Glad that it helped someone. I will tell my friend. Good luck on your trip!

hellbennt
10-22-2012, 07:39 PM
If I read it correctly, she didn't like Peter pan. We love it!:heartbeat:

Seitvonzu
10-23-2012, 09:37 AM
i think so many "bests" are personal at disney... you can't even go on age of your child in my experience. if i'd followed the recommendations in the book we had about preschoolers at disney, my daughter would have missed her favorite ride--

THE TOWER OF TERROR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yes, she's sorta an outlier. but she really loved just about EVERYTHING. she was mad she couldn't go on everest or the rockin' roller coaster. if DH wasn't adamant about going to hollywood studios, we might have skipped that park all together based on age recs....

i can't imagine disney now without the memory of her after the tower of terror. she was so in love with it and wanted to go right back on (that was the only time she said that!!)

we also really like peter pan! :) (and my kiddo was NOT scared of snow white, which is gone now, but always is on the "don't take preschoolers" list)