PDA

View Full Version : The first lice exposure note

infomama
10-16-2012, 09:03 AM
I knew it would come home but I wasn't ready for it yet. We're in full lice prevention mode now....I hate feeling so hyper-vigilant about it but its such a nightmare.

elephantmeg
10-16-2012, 11:18 AM
hugs. I freaked at our first one too! But now we're on 5 or 6... and none yet. I do have the comb JIC!

MamaMolly
10-16-2012, 12:34 PM
We've gotten it twice. The first one said it was in the school, the second in Lula's classroom. So icky. We had a scare last week, she was scratching madly and they sent her to the office for a check...turns out all the prevention spray, shampoo and conditioner I've been dumping on her head had made her scalp extremely dry and flaky. She couldn't stop scratching, they eventually had to give her Benedryl! :bag

So now I comb once a week with prevention conditioner, then the girls take a bath and shampoo it out. Lots of rinsing. We use the prevention shampoo and conditioner in their other baths as well, but I'm not combing as much.

lizzywednesday
10-16-2012, 01:29 PM
Threads like these make me itchy, especially because the handbook for DD's daycare says the kid has to stay home for 24 hours of treatment before going back.

I'm dreading hearing that it's hit there. Ugh.

PZMommy
10-16-2012, 11:03 PM
I'm a teacher and have had 5 outbreaks in my class already this year. I wear my hair up in a bun. I don't care how I look, I just don't want to get it. My sons daycare had an outbreak, but thankfully we were on vacation that week!

lovebebes
10-17-2012, 02:19 AM
i swear by Lice Logic, found on amazon.

citymama
10-17-2012, 03:33 AM
We've gotten the letter about lice in the classroom twice, no lice yet. I don't want to jinx it. But as a precaution, I *always* tie up DD's hair (into pigtails or braids). Hairstyles where you pile the braided hair on top, Austrian style (like the littlest kid in Sound of Music), are even better at preventing transmission, I'm told.

infomama
10-17-2012, 08:21 AM
Yep...hair up, jacket in backpack, backpack stays in the garage, no hugging friends, no sharing hair stuff/hats.

belovedgandp
10-17-2012, 10:09 AM
Our school's policy is a letter home if there is a confirmed case in your grade (there are four classes per grade). Last year I lost count, but at least 8 letters by Thanksgiving. School did lots of stuff in each classroom. We managed to stay clear. No letters yet this year so I'm hoping it stays that way.

hellokitty
10-17-2012, 10:16 AM
I have school aged kids and over the yrs, we have had probably about 4-5 of these notices. I think only one was confirmed for a child in the classroom. Maybe I am lax, but I would casually look through my child's head, but was never too freaked out by it. I always tell my kids that they shouldn't be sharing any coats/hats/clothing with any other kids as a preventative measure. Lice do not jump, so even if they are close to the other child, I'm not too worried.