PDA

View Full Version : How many cars does one family need?!?

ha98ed14
10-16-2012, 10:14 AM
People next door are a married couple (50+) and their grown daughter (20s). So that's 3 adults. I see nothing wrong with a 20s yo young woman living with her parents. But for 2 drivers, they have 4 cars. (Wife doesnt drive as far as I can tell.) Dad has a pick up truck (his for fun car; he doesnt drive it on a daily basis) and a Nissan he commutes in. Then they have a BMW which I've seen dad drive on occasion. The daughter has a Honda civic.

Did I mention that all the houses on my street have garages off the alley in back? These people don't use theirs. Even though they have a beautiful front yard, no one ever sees it. It just looks trashy IMO. The family next to them have 4 cars too, but they park two in the garage and one on the "pad" in their back yard. You only ever see one car in front of their house. They are a 50s couple too. Just two people! And they have a boat. Too many vehicles people! Get a bike and reduce your carbon footprint! They take up less space in your garage, too!

crl
10-16-2012, 10:26 AM
My inlaws used to have four for the two of them. I always thought it was a little excessive, though I didn't complain when dh took our only car with him on a three month training assignment and the inlaws loaned me one of theirs. Guess I'm a hypocrite. ;)

Catherine

g-mama
10-16-2012, 10:39 AM
Ha! My dad has four cars in his driveway and two boats on the side of his yard. I can imagine how his neighbors feel about him. He has a garage but none of his cars are in it because that's like his "workshop" where he does projects. He owns an auto body shop, so he sees all these cars that are totaled by the insurance company but he likes to fix them up just for fun on weekends and sometimes sells them, sometimes gives them away, and (too many) he just keeps in case he finds someone who needs one.

It has benefited me, for sure, when we've needed to put a car in the shop for any period of time, because I can use one of his. And he's loaned them to quite a few of dh's family members in similar situations. Which is great for all of us, but I'm glad I'm not his next door neighbor.

He has been this way all his life and when my mother was alive, it drove her crazy.

eagle
10-16-2012, 12:52 PM
i dunno, but this wouldnt bother me. i have other issues that bother me, like "cool" moms who suddenly cant make time for me. :gloomy:

i just wouldnt care that an older 50s couple has 4 cars. i wouldnt care if they had 5 or 6.

rin
10-16-2012, 01:09 PM
Heh heh. Our across-the-street neighbors have 6! They were an older couple (in their 60s), then the husband passed away over the summer, so now it's just the wife. Five in the driveway (well, it's the driveway + part of their front yard that's been turned into extra parking), one (that I don't think runs) parked on the street right across from our driveway. PLUS they have several adult children who visit all the time and there are frequently two or three additional cars on the street. I don't worry about it unless they're blocking our driveway, since they're lovely neighbors in every other way.

citymama
10-16-2012, 01:24 PM
I think the OP's gripe is primarily that they're an eyesore - which I sympathize with. We have one car for a family of 4. My ILs have 4 vehicles for the 2 of them - really crazy. No one needs that many cars.

khalloc
10-16-2012, 01:31 PM
Personally I think one car per adult is plenty. BUt we are a family of 4 (2 adults) and we have 3 vehicles. One is my DH's "play" vehicle - a '47 Chevy Pickup. It sits in the driveway most of the time. We have a 2 car garage and usually we park our main cars in their (his and mine). DH drives the truck for fun or when he needs a pickup truck for something. I cant drive it. Its obviously not automatic and it has many quirks.

boolady
10-16-2012, 01:57 PM
My dad has 2 cars. He drives long distances for work 3x per week and has to use his own car, but gets reimbursed for mileage, tolls, etc., and decided to keep the mid-size sedan he's been using for that for the past few years for work driving when he just got a new station wagon for himself-- he and my mom had been planning on trading in an SUV they had for something a bit smaller, and even though my mom isn't here anymore, he wanted to keep one car for work and one for other things.

I only give him grief because now he's got 2 navy Volvos, one an S60 and one an XC70, sitting next to each other in the driveway all weekend and on his days off.

glbb35
10-16-2012, 02:15 PM
I understand. The people down the street from us have several kids and they all have cars (I am guessing the older kids are in college) and the parents search have 1 plus they have an extra "fun" car. So when everyone is home (which is frequently) they have cars on both sides of the street (which I hate it makes it hard for anyone to pass) sometimes they have 7-8 cars outside then add their friends. They have a decent driveway but use it for b-ball games and rarely does it see a vehicle. I sympathise with you on the look of it. We can't pass through them and that is a pain but with several kids ourselves I don't know what we will do when they start driving. We have a really small driveway too! IT must be nice to be able to extra cash lying around to be able to afford vehicles for each person living in these homes as well as "extra" cars!

B

DS 03, 06, twins 09, 7/11

rin
10-16-2012, 03:30 PM
Would it help to find the silver lining? Traffic safety research shows that the more visual obstructions there are near a street (medians, big trees, cars parked along the side of the road) the slower people go. While it may be hideous to look at, it's probably making people slow down as they drive down your street, which makes things safer for kids/pets/etc, probably less squealing brakes at stop signs . . .

queenmama
10-16-2012, 04:11 PM
Ha! My dad has four cars in his driveway and two boats on the side of his yard. I can imagine how his neighbors feel about him. He has a garage but none of his cars are in it because that's like his "workshop" where he does projects. He owns an auto body shop, so he sees all these cars that are totaled by the insurance company but he likes to fix them up just for fun on weekends and sometimes sells them, sometimes gives them away, and (too many) he just keeps in case he finds someone who needs one.

It has benefited me, for sure, when we've needed to put a car in the shop for any period of time, because I can use one of his. And he's loaned them to quite a few of dh's family members in similar situations. Which is great for all of us, but I'm glad I'm not his next door neighbor.

He has been this way all his life and when my mother was alive, it drove her crazy.

This is my dad, exactly! haha! He even goes to insurance auctions to source cars for his projects.

I don't see anything wrong with one "extra" car. Where I come from, every family should own a truck for hauling, moving, camping, etc.

I agree with the OP that the cars should be in the garage. Why wouldn't you park inside if you have the option, says the woman whose DH has filled her garage to the point that her car won't fit. :rolleyes:

bellablue
10-16-2012, 04:38 PM
Ugh that is so annoying!!

We are in a similar situation over here actually. Our neighbors across the street have 4 cars for 4 people (Mom, Dad and 2 kids in their 20's). They don't use their garage and are constantly parked in front of other houses on the block because there are so many people in and out all day, every day. Some days I think about calling the cops because it's so irritating to see their cars all over my street. Stay strong sista!!!

glbb35
10-16-2012, 04:48 PM
from rin: "Would it help to find the silver lining? Traffic safety research shows that the more visual obstructions there are near a street (medians, big trees, cars parked along the side of the road) the slower people go. While it may be hideous to look at, it's probably making people slow down as they drive down your street, which makes things safer for kids/pets/etc, probably less squealing brakes at stop signs . . ."

Silver lining? Have these traffic safety researchers been doing research on our street? I don't think so! In an age where technology is king I would have to completely disagree with the above. People don't drive slower. Unfortunately, half the time they are too busy looking at their cell phones. Walking down to the bus stop today a teen came flying around the corner. We are having to go around each car that is parked on the street which makes it more dangerous for us. This teen texting/talking on the phone couldn't have cared less as she whipped around the vehicles on the street. There is also a blind curve right where all the cars are parked so you can't even see around the curve if someone is coming until it is almost too late. There is no silver lining as far as I am concerned!

PS. I understand not having a big driveway to park your vehicles. Our driveway is this way. But when you do have a nice sized driveway, you should park there and if you have a garage that isn't full of stuff, you should park in there. That is just being neighborly. Technically I am being quite neighborly I could easily approach our HOA which restricts the amount of vehicles a household can park on the street. But I don't do that to people and we just deal with it. B/c that is what neighbors do. You might not like everything they do but unless it is completely against the law, you do the best you can do. And honestly I have other things to worry about :)

B

KLD313
10-16-2012, 06:10 PM
The neighbors at my old house would park their old car every time they got a new one. There were at least six cars in the grass and in the driveway, some up in blocks. As if that wasn't enough they out up one of those garages that look like a tarp in a beige color, so ugly! I was so happy when a storm came through and destroyed it.

My mom lives in a super expensive neighborhood and the people across the street had many cars in the driveway, a boat and a school bus of all things.

elektra
10-16-2012, 06:17 PM
It's California- we drive everywhere and need the right vehicles for the drive! ;)
My dad has two cars- he basically can't bear to part with my mom's car. And then it's available for guests.
We used to have 3 cars, as DH has always been a truck guy, but was required to drive the company cars. He did eventually sell the truck though.
I hear you on the cars parked out front though. That is a huge pet peeve of DH's he feels like cars should be either in garages or driveways.
My nanny and her DH each have a commuter car and then a larger SUV for the family.

Snow mom
10-16-2012, 06:41 PM
Admittedly my family had four cars parked at our house (two drivers) when I was growing up. They were: my mom's car, my dad's car, my dad's work car (which he used to commute), and a truck my family used for camping.

In my view unless there is no parking signs on the street people can park their car there. In fact, if they want to park in front of your house they can park there too. The street is public, not part of your property. Maybe that's my "city girl"/ "people park in front of my house" view of the world. I park my car on the driveway because it's less likely to be broken into there (and also less likely to be side-swiped) but seriously, the number of cars parked on your street sounds like a pretty petty thing to worry about. If there is a safety issue or another reason cars shouldn't park in a particular area this is a matter for traffic control/ city council.

AnnieW625
10-16-2012, 06:45 PM
As long as they aren't parking on their lawn I don't care how many cars people have.

We had three cars once, a large truck, an mid size SUV, and a small sedan. The truck was inherited from DH's grandpa. We sold it once we realized we were using the SUV more, and because of it's size I simply would not drive it, which is why we got the mid size SUV in the first place.

We actually passed on the perfect size house (1500 sq. feet, 3 bed., 2 bath) with a great price and nice street in the city right southeast of you because the people parked their cars on their lawn. Now it turns out the house we did choose the next door neighbors do it on a regular basis (although it isn't as bad as it used to be). Pisses me off more than anything when people park cars on their lawn (even for washing them).

tmahanes
10-16-2012, 08:52 PM
We are a family of three that has four cars. We have my SUV and DHs work car and then DH has a Blazer that my Bil wrecked and he its fixing so he has something beside his work car. He also had a small hot rod pickup that we are trying to sell.

Where we live there is zero public transportation so it is nearly impossible to have two working parents and one car.

When we lived with my inlaws I am sure the neighbors hated it. There were 6 drivers and 6 daily use vehicles and 3 vehicles being worked on! It was ridiculous! And I am sure very trashy looking.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Multimama
10-16-2012, 10:29 PM
Well, we have zero cars for two adults, so I do think that four is excessive! But then again I have five (eh-hem six) strollers for two kids, so who am I to judge what others choose to collect? :)

I would be annoyed if I owned a house and my neighbors were doing things to make it look less attractive though. Big thumbs down to cars parked on the lawn.

LD92599
10-16-2012, 11:04 PM
Oh yikes growing up we always had 10-12 cars for 2adults but my dad collected classic cars amd always had several "modern" cars too!

rin
10-16-2012, 11:28 PM
Silver lining? Have these traffic safety researchers been doing research on our street? I don't think so! In an age where technology is king I would have to completely disagree with the above. People don't drive slower. Unfortunately, half the time they are too busy looking at their cell phones. Walking down to the bus stop today a teen came flying around the corner. We are having to go around each car that is parked on the street which makes it more dangerous for us. This teen texting/talking on the phone couldn't have cared less as she whipped around the vehicles on the street. There is also a blind curve right where all the cars are parked so you can't even see around the curve if someone is coming until it is almost too late. There is no silver lining as far as I am concerned!

Not saying that your street is ideal; I obviously have no idea what it's like! However, the US DOT does in fact list on-street parking as a means of reducing rates of speeding and making communities more walkable. If you go to either the Project for Public Spaces website (http://www.pps.org/reference/livememtraffic/) or the US DOT website (http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/ and search for "traffic calming") you can find lists of things they recommend for improving pedestrian/cyclist safety, including introducing/expanding on-street parking. If there's a blind curve and you have a HOA, it might be worthwhile to see if they'll get a fish eye mirror installed there to improve visibility.

daniele_ut
10-17-2012, 01:10 AM
Do all the cars run? Any of them on blocks? No? Then count yourself lucky as our neighbor up the street has most of the parts to create several Jeeps scattered along his driveway and filling his garage. He can't park in his driveway so his work truck complete with large obstructive enclosed trailer is always parked on the street. I am on the verge of calling city code enforcement to see if he's violating any city ordinances.

MontrealMum
10-17-2012, 02:26 AM
As long as they aren't parking on their lawn I don't care how many cars people have.

:hysterical:

But being serious, I think that one car per licensed driver is enough. Even though I come from a "car" family in MI. Here in the big city it's rare that you find 2 cars per family, in fact, many families have only one, or none. We have excellent public transit. Mind you, it's difficult to justify a "summer" car when you can only drive it 4 mos out of the year, never mind trying to store it in a place where garages are rare!

HannaAddict
10-17-2012, 03:53 AM
I don't think government should get a say in how many cars I have. We had one car for two of us for about 13 years. We now have three, mine - primary kid hauler and parked in garage, husbands - parked outside garage but in our private driveway in the back of our home with sliding electric pretty gate, and my Volvo that is now used by our sitter to drive our kids with car seats installed, safe, maintained and insured. We park that car on the street. Of course it would be annoying to have neighbors use the street versus driveway and we had most neighbors before parking on a lovely tree lined boulevard because their garages were packed with crap. But I don't need govt weighing in on it and I'm a liberal democrat. :)

daniele_ut
10-17-2012, 10:14 AM

But being serious, I think that one car per licensed driver is enough.
See, I don't think that is necessarily my business. My sister and her dh have 3 licensed drivers and 5 cars. She drives her every day SUV and also has an awesome Mercedes SLK convertible that she just got and has been wanting for years. Her dh has a truck and a little Honda sports car. Their DS has a car as well.

They use the truck and SUV when they drive up to their cabin as the roads in some places are unimproved and they used to drive carpool for baseball when their oldest was younger and before my other nephew passed away. They also have big dogs that they take to the vet and other places. When it's just one of them running errands they take their smaller cars. Cars are their thing and they enjoy them. Who am I to say they shouldn't have more than one? FWIW they park them all in the driveway because the garage is full of 4 wheelers, but they have a huge long driveway and they live in a really big cul de sac.

MontrealMum
10-17-2012, 11:56 AM
See, I don't think that is necessarily my business.

I agree. I never said people should be restricted from owning more than one car. I was merely answering the OP's question. IMO, my personal opinion on the subject is that *I* think that one is enough per driver. As in, adequate and necessary. For my city, that's actually probably too high; many others here would say one or none are adequate.

As I said before, we have excellent public transportation: Metro, buses, and now, the Bixi bike. For trips outside of the city limits in addition to a large commuter train network, we also have a very popular program called CommunAuto which rents cars on the short term (like, several hours) and at low rates. I know many households that have never owned a car, and many adults that have never gotten their licenses.

I do, however, think that broken down cars on the front lawn are the business of neighbors.

ha98ed14
10-17-2012, 12:34 PM
Just to clarify, my gripe is about how it looks. They don't have a driveway and they do not use their garage (on the back off an alley). I think it looks bad. I do NOT think that I or any branch of the gov't should have a say in how many cars they can own. Nothing is up on blocks next door, and our city does have an ordinance against parking cars on the lawn. We also have an ordinance against parking a broken down car on the street. I think it has to be moved once every 2 days or something if it is parked on the public street.

My issue is how it looks, just like I might not like the color my neighbor paints her house. I can complain as much as I like. Then I have to get over it because, like most things in life, I have no control over it. I guess the title was a rhetorical question. Just wanted to clarify that.

TwinFoxes
10-17-2012, 12:45 PM
I'm unclear about the op, are they parking them on the street, and that looks bad? Or are they parked someplace else?

LBW
10-17-2012, 12:48 PM
I bet they don't use the garage for parking because it's filled with wheels, tires, spare engines, and lots of other car parts. I wonder how I know this????

I think we had 6 cars at one point. At least two of them were "parts cars" for several other cars. My husband in a mechanical engineer, but in his alternate universe, he's a race car driver. He does 99.9% of all of our car repairs, and time with friends for him usually means working on someone's car. His daily driver is often a $2000-$3000 BMW that he buys, plays around with for a couple of years, and then sells for the purchase price. We "need" at least three cars b/c at any point one of them is being "worked on."

Thank goodness we live on a decent-sized lot, are set back from the street, and have a two car garage. Still, I'm sure the neighbors think we're crazy!

By the time my boys are teenagers I will need to move so that we'll have space for even more cars, parts cars, and bits and pieces!

glbb35
10-17-2012, 02:12 PM
ha98ed14, this is the bitching post. Feel free to gripe away, this is what this post is supposed to be for! IF we don't do it here, then where else?

B

AnnieW625
10-17-2012, 03:01 PM

But being serious, I think that one car per licensed driver is enough. Even though I come from a "car" family in MI. Here in the big city it's rare that you find 2 cars per family, in fact, many families have only one, or none. We have excellent public transit. Mind you, it's difficult to justify a "summer" car when you can only drive it 4 mos out of the year, never mind trying to store it in a place where garages are rare!

Public transportation is next to useless in my general area unless you want to be stuck on a bus 2 hrs. to get to work. I mapped that out one day during ride share week, I would have had to change busses 3 or 4 times. In our old city if an emergency had happened and we were only with one car I could have taken the bus from two blocks away to a block away from my building, it would have taken a little less than an hour so it would have worked well in a pinch.

If either I or DH worked in Downton Los Angeles or some of the coastal areas near the LAX airport we could easily take the light rail (metro line) to work and could really possibly only need one car, although with kids two cars are nice due to being able to do things with each kid at a different time.

The SF Bay Area is about the only area in California where you can easily live with only one car, but most people I know in those areas have two cars, but still rely heavily on public transportation for their commutes.

MamaSnoo
10-17-2012, 04:20 PM
Well, we have 1.5 cars/adult in our home. We do get all of the off the street and in the garage (2) or driveway. We needed the 3rd vehicle so that our nanny would have reliable transportation for our kids. I wish I could take transit to my job, but it is not an option in my situation.

I get that the OP has a right to not like the looks of her neighobr's vehicles....I also think it is really hard to make a blanket rule about something like how many cars people should have. I never thought we would own more than 2.