PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake in Maine!

marie
10-16-2012, 07:26 PM
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/at00mc0dsp#dyfi

Did anyone else feel it?

We felt it here in VT.

codex57
10-16-2012, 07:29 PM
Distraction from the Zumba lady case?

marie
10-16-2012, 07:31 PM

:rotflmao:

seriously though, I hope all are okay.

Twoboos
10-16-2012, 07:31 PM
I am in MA, and I really think I did! Everything was rattling for a few seconds and no one looked around except me!

billysmommy
10-16-2012, 07:36 PM
We felt it here, just west of Boston.
Thought it was a big truck going by at first but it lasted too long.

ncat
10-16-2012, 07:37 PM
We felt it - also outside Boston.
I also thought it was a big truck going by!

SkyrMommy
10-16-2012, 07:38 PM
Yup, house and loose things rattled. I only noticed because I was quietly nursing DS to sleep. Hope there's not too much damage around the center.

Twoboos
10-16-2012, 07:39 PM
Thought it was a big truck going by at first but it lasted too long.

Yep, or I thought DH was chasing the girls around the house. Except they were all sitting on the couch!

trales
10-16-2012, 07:43 PM
Felt it here in NH, thought it was the propane tank going off at first, but there was no boom, just a lot of shaking.

R2sweetboys
10-16-2012, 08:01 PM
I'm in Maine about 20 miles from the epicenter. Holy crap, that was freaky! I know it's nothing compared to what others have experienced but that was big for us. I've lived here my entire life and have only felt one other very small rumble. I had no idea of the SOUND an earthquake creates. We live in an area where jets fly over when taking off from the jetport and thought a plane crashed near our home.

alien_host
10-16-2012, 08:06 PM
I think I felt it too, I thought DD was jumping upstairs as my pot rack was shaking, then I thought it was a truck. I never thought earthquake, until I saw this!

codex57
10-16-2012, 08:09 PM
Hmmm, a 4.5? That's pretty big. Hopefully, no one was hurt. You NEsters don't do a lot of earthquake preparedness do you? In CA, that would be fun cuz it's big enough to be really noticeable but not big enough to do bad damage. However, our buildings tend to be more earthquake proofed and people tend to place fragile items in a way that they won't fall and shatter during an earthquake.

AJP
10-16-2012, 08:17 PM
We felt it 15 minutes south of NH seacoast. Freaky! The walls were shaking!

ilfaith
10-16-2012, 08:29 PM
Just learned about it when some friends in Connecticut posted on FB...so I guess it was felt as far away as that.

chlobo
10-16-2012, 08:40 PM
I'm northwest of Boston and I thought it was our overzealous washer off-balance.

maestramommy
10-16-2012, 09:00 PM
Yup felt it here too. I thought it was a low flying plane. Dh thought it was the kids, who were supposed to be in bed:p We ran upstairs to chew them out, and instead they popped out of their beds looking scared out of their wits.

If this happened in CA I would've never felt it. Too much traffic or something.

oneplustwo
10-16-2012, 09:08 PM

:rotflmao::rotflmao:

We felt it, and we're in the Boston Metrowest area. By "we" I mean everyone else in the family ~ including the dog ~ except me. I was walking in our inner hallway when it hit and didn't feel a thing. I went up the stairs to check on one of my kids (upstairs b/c he was sick), who I found with eyes as wide as saucers saying that the whole house had just shaken. Downstairs at the dinner table, DH first thought one of our other kids was messing with the table when it shook back and forth. The other two kids felt it too and the dog barked. DH then exclaimed, "earthquake!" and whipped out the laptop to find out more. The kids were so excited to experience their first quake, especially since we were all on vacation out of town two summers ago when our area experienced one. I hope everyone near the epicenter is okay with no damage and no downed lines.

elektra
10-16-2012, 09:20 PM
Glad everyone is ok! I will have to tell DD- she had an earthquake drill today at school :)

marie
10-16-2012, 09:37 PM
We felt it 15 minutes south of NH seacoast. Freaky! The walls were shaking!

You know, I hadn't even thought of proximity to Seabrook until I read an article mentioning it. Must give you pause when stuff like this happens.

AJP
10-18-2012, 03:01 PM
You know, I hadn't even thought of proximity to Seabrook until I read an article mentioning it. Must give you pause when stuff like this happens.

Yes, I always think of Seabrook. We're a good 5 exits away on 95, but still close enough IMO!