PDA

View Full Version : S/O sex, how old before DC hear/ know what you're doing?

ourbabygirl
10-16-2012, 09:06 PM
Our kids are 2 & 4, and while I don't think we need to worry about this *quite* yet, they (DD, especially) are fairly light sleepers. DD (the 4 yo) is very smart and mature, with a great memory, and I worry about her hearing something and/or trying to get into our room (we lock the door, just in case).
We live in a modified 2 story with 3 bedrooms upstairs, so our room is pretty much right next to the kids' rooms. We try to be stealth, but I still worry. ;)
Plus I had a couple of bad experiences when I was younger (about 3rd, and about 5th, grades) with hearing my friends' parents in the bedroom upstairs, and being right there next to my parents while they DTD (long story). :shake:

Anyhow, when should we be worried about the kids hearing or knowing what we're doing?

Thanks!

SnuggleBuggles
10-16-2012, 10:00 PM
It really wasn't until recently (like when ds1 was 9) that I really started paying attention. Luckily our layout makes it not a big deal.

ArizonaGirl
10-16-2012, 11:41 PM
I sometimes worry about this because DS (almost 4) is totally inquisitive and needs to know why about everything. I can see him trying to get into our room (we lock the door as well) and when he can't get in calling for us and perpetually questioning us until we open the door.

lalasmama
10-17-2012, 12:19 AM
DD used to have the amazing talent of waking up anytime XH and I were anywhere near each other without clothes on. Seriously, 11pm, and she'd start hollering from the other side of the house about shadows, or being uncovered, or whatever else her little 3-year-old mind conjured up. No idea how she managed such feats. He'd get up, and, on the other side of the house, DD would have a night terror, or lose her blankey, or the dog would be next to bed and snort too loud.... it's amazing we ever managed any time to be doing anything with her "mama's-naked-and-gonna-have-fun" radar alarm!

Now, well.... SO and I make sure she's snoring, make sure a fan is going in her bathroom (next to her bedroom), make sure the night light is on, and then lock our door before we get anywhere near each other for fun time. She has yet to wake up/call out/come out of her room and interrupt anything now that she's older. (Fingers crossed and knocking on wood!)

citymama
10-17-2012, 01:08 AM
Can you lock your room door and then unlock before going to bed? Better that than having a kid walk in on you.

queenmama
10-17-2012, 03:11 AM
DS was about 4. Until that point, we'd sit him in front of the tv and tell him we were going into our room to "talk" (horrible, awful, I know!).

It came out that he knew during an episode of Family Feud. The survey was "100 women wish their husbands were better at this," and one answer given, of course, was sex. We laughed and said, "Eww!" making light of it. DS said, "Whatever. You guys do that all the time when you say you're going to talk." Busted!!!

A little while after that, we asked him if he even knew what that (sex) meant, and he answered, "It's when you wrestle with no clothes on, and the bed goes (squeak squeak squeak)." We were a lot more discreet after that, trying to limit to times he was at school or otherwise out of the house.

He thought he caught us once, about 1-1/2 to 2 years ago (he would've been around 10). We really weren't DTD, we were fully clothed and DH was up against me rubbing my back, but DS was soooo upset. I tried having a few conversations with him about it but he was so pissed he would sit and cry, because he was mad that we'd do that when we weren't trying to have a baby. Like, furious mad, in a very unhealthy way. He outgrew this crazy rage (which I think stemmed from him being TOO MUCH of a mama's boy), but it flared up when we told him we were pregnant (he was 11, he knew HOW it happened). He locked himself in his room for about 15 minutes and then came out wanting to discuss names. :rolleyes:

AnnieW625
10-17-2012, 12:44 PM
You know I never caught my parents DTD, but I remember finding my mom's contraceptive foam when I was probably 9 or 10 and wondering what it was it for. My mom was pregnant the year I was 9 and for two weeks after I turned 10. I remember in high school my parents getting kind of frisky and thinking it was okay, but thankfully if I ever walked in on them DTD as a child or planning to while in bed I don't remember it.

Our girls have no clue. DD2 however though wakes up and since her room is next door (she has a gate) she loudly tells us it is time to get up and on more than one occaision it has happened in the middle of DTD. Most of the time if DD1 is up she is watching TV and doesn't notice anything.

Melaine
10-17-2012, 12:49 PM
I never caught my parents, and I think I would have heard about any awkward walk ins with my siblings. We lock the door, and We have a loud fan for noise. DDs also have a fan. I don't see why they should "catch us" unless we get careless. Or ridiculously loud.