PDA

View Full Version : school bus drivers issues - weigh in!

rachelh
10-17-2012, 09:31 AM
This seems like a no-brainer to me but other parents don't seem so fazed by it at all so I am looking for some opinions from BBB mamas.

DD recently switched school buses due to our move. So far on two occasions I have seen him using his phone after the kids get onto the bus and he is waiting at a red light. The first time, he must have received a call so I saw him put in an earphone things and start talking - he actually drove away while talking on the phone - it was hands free but...he is driving a bus full of kids!
Today I saw him texting - kinda like hiding it under the steering wheel while at the red light. He put it away when the light turned green. However, this is still unacceptable to me. Even if he is really not doing this while he is driving (which who knows if he really is not) even at a stop light, not being completely aware of your surroundings and with 30 (??) kids on the bus I think it is unacceptable. I am going to call the school today but I am just wondering why no other parents are upset by this. I really don't think I am overreacting.

brittone2
10-17-2012, 09:32 AM
Yeah, that would bother me.

SnuggleBuggles
10-17-2012, 09:36 AM
Call the bus company. They should be made aware.

wellyes
10-17-2012, 09:42 AM
Yeah, I'd call and report it. Not hoping he'll lose his job, just someone needs to tell him to stop being a dumbass.

zukeypur
10-17-2012, 09:46 AM
I would be upset. Call and report.

elliput
10-17-2012, 09:48 AM
Yeahhhh.... he should not be using his phone at all while the bus is running. In my district, the first line of reporting is to the school so I would start there.

mik8
10-17-2012, 09:49 AM
In our school district, all the buses are equipped with 2-way radios so that there shouldn't be a need for bus drivers to be checking their phones. That's a safety concern. Check with your school's transportation department.

waitingforgrace
10-17-2012, 10:17 AM
Absolutely call and report to the bus company. I can't imagine they'd be ok with it and they need to make him stop, definite safety concern.

rachelh
10-17-2012, 10:35 AM
In our school district, all the buses are equipped with 2-way radios so that there shouldn't be a need for bus drivers to be checking their phones. That's a safety concern. Check with your school's transportation department.

I called the school as they deal directly with the transportation company.

I was told that unfortunately there is no two way radio system, so the drivers are required to leave a blue-tooth in or some type of ear piece just in case the school needs to contact them which seems like it happens often on the way home. The time I saw him talking on the phone was in there morning though – I will give him the benefit of the doubt on this incident for the time being and assume he was talking to the school.

As far as the texting, the principal will start off by speaking to the driver and will take it from there.