PDA

View Full Version : Salivary gland problems?

pinkmomagain
10-17-2012, 12:49 PM
Weird question #2 for me today, I'm on a roll...

So for the past couple of months I've had on and off pain under my tongue on the floor of my mouth way, way I back. I can't even see it. I asked my dentist to take a look at my check up and he felt that maybe it looked like there was some mild irritation of a salivary gland. He wants me to go to an oral surgeon to take a look. I have yet to make an appointment.

In the last week or so, I've had issues in my neck on the sides of my esophogus (not the pipe itself)...just mild pains that come and go...NOT related to swallowing.

I'm thinking it is related to the salivary issue and I'm wondering if I should be going to an ENT guy instead of an oral surgeon.

Trying not to get ahead of myself with crazy worry (and the C word). I do have a lot of soft signs for Sjogren's and believe this might be one too.

If anyone has had any similar issue in the past, I would love to hear from you!!! TIA

melwe
10-17-2012, 02:44 PM
My mom has had lots of salivary gland issues. She has had salivary gland inflammation, and one time she had a stone (sialolith). So definitely lots of things possible. For the stone, they thought it would have to removed surgically, but she was able to dislodge it by sucking on hard candy nearly constantly. I'm pretty sure it was really uncomfortable.

She also has been suspicious that she has Sjogren's. She is currently seeing an ENT that agrees, but she has seen other MD's that have dismissed her and said it was a "trendy" diagnosis. I think an ENT would be a good place to start.

pinkmomagain
10-17-2012, 08:04 PM
Thanks for sharing that, Melanie. Very helpful.

dogmom
10-17-2012, 08:28 PM
Get a flashlight, get a tongue depressor and some lemon juice. Another adult to help is useful. Google some pictures of salivary gland ducts. Drink some of the lemon juices then check out the different sights. If you see saliva pouring out of one side and not the other you probably got the answer to your question. It usually is just inflammation, can be some other things, very, very rarely cancer.

I just took some NSAIDS round the clock for a few days going on the inflammation theory, it went away on day 4, didn't come back.

pinkmomagain
10-17-2012, 09:07 PM
Get a flashlight, get a tongue depressor and some lemon juice. Another adult to help is useful. Google some pictures of salivary gland ducts. Drink some of the lemon juices then check out the different sights. If you see saliva pouring out of one side and not the other you probably got the answer to your question. It usually is just inflammation, can be some other things, very, very rarely cancer.

I just took some NSAIDS round the clock for a few days going on the inflammation theory, it went away on day 4, didn't come back.

Thank you for this! Did I mention my severe gag reflex? And allergy to NSAIDS? Ugh. I have read around abit on the internet and sucking on lemons is recommended. When I remember, I try to do it and I notice, not immediate relief, but the next day I feel better! And then it comes back. They do recommend lemon sucking candies too...much more practical and something I can do more frequently than fresh lemons. I think I'll buy some tomorrow and just keep at it....

roobee
10-17-2012, 09:15 PM
I'm going to watch this thread.

I have similar pain in my tounge occasionally. I haven't been to the Dr. because my insurance isn't the best and most often the advice for stuff like this is to come back if it continues for a week (thankfully mine usually resolves in that amount of time.) Most of the time my major complaint during any illness is that my lymph nodes hurt so I get all tweeked out about the c thing too.

mmommy
10-17-2012, 10:29 PM
Go get it checked! Better safe than sorry.
I know someone who had salivary gland cancer. He is cancer-free now, but did have to get radiation and lost the use of his ear. His cancer was discovered when he went to the doctor because of a lump he found in his ear though, so it sounds symptomaticly very different from what you describe.

lilycat88
10-17-2012, 11:06 PM
I've had 2 surgeries on salivary glands because of stones. Glands were removed entirely. I was treated by an ENT. I'd go get it checked out. I had pain under my tongue and under my jaw on and off before ending up with pain, fever and infection. The first thing the doctor will probably do is tell you to try sucking on lemon drops or other sour candy to see if heavy salivating will dislodge any blockage. Definitley not the most comfortable thing but telling. You can also lift your tongue and take your finger and try to "milk" the gland. Start at the back of your mouth and rub forward. You should see saliva come out of the duct under your tongue.