PDA

View Full Version : Any respiratory technicians out there?

joonbug
10-17-2012, 05:45 PM
Soooo.... I went back to school thinking I'll go for the physical therapy assistant program. Just started doing the pre-requisites and having second thoughts now. Basically, it's a hands-on, physical career, but I'm already in my mid 30's and even though in shape, it's hard to imagine performing therapies in my late 40's... Seems like a great career for young people, but I'll be probably 37-38 by the time I graduate :(. The college also has the Radiography Program and Respiratory Care, both Associate's Degrees. The admission to all three is competitive, they all require pre-reqs, but I see the Resp. as a more long-lasting career. Any technicians out there willing to share their experience? TIA :waving4:

carolinamama
10-17-2012, 07:56 PM
I work with many RTs. (I am an ICU RN). There is definitely a demand for RTs and we see a good handful of new grads getting jobs each year in our large university teaching hospital. As for the work, in the unit they are responsible for managing the vents (suggesting and making changes, monitoring, suctioning patients, assessing airways/helping with trach care, and help us transport, etc), give breathing treatments, assisting with intubations (they don't intubate at our hospital but do at many), and other respiratory tasks. On the floors, the RTs give breathing treatments, do trach care, change stable trachs, and help with respiratory issues. It is a job where you could be on your feet a good deal, but definitely not as physical as a PT assistant or RN. I do occasionally ask one to stuff a pillow when I'm turning a patient, but I always do the physical part of turning the person. :)

Good luck with your decision. Is there any way that you could shadow one for atleast a few hours? That really gives you a good insight into the job.

joonbug
10-18-2012, 06:39 PM
Thank you! I really would love to have a career in the health field where I could help people... 3.5 years ago when DD stayed in the nicu, I talked a lot to the other nurses and doctors, they all said it is a common occurrence for nicu babies' parents to enter a health field lol. Thought of nursing, but it is a long and demanding path, not sure if I could sacrifice so much time and effort to study.. 2 years of Pat or RT don't seem that daunting... I will figure out a way to shadow a resp. therapist, that is a good idea. Thanks!

ellies mom
10-18-2012, 07:59 PM
The nice thing about most of the "two year" health care programs is that they require most of the same prereqs (allow 1-2 years for those) so you can decide which direction you want to go further into the process.

joonbug
10-19-2012, 10:02 AM
Exactly! Geez. I'm 34, I should know what I want to do when I grow up already ;)

ellies mom
10-19-2012, 10:15 AM
Exactly! Geez. I'm 34, I should know what I want to do when I grow up already ;)

I started my pre-reqs for nursing school when I was 37. Started nursing school when I was 39 and graduated when I was 41. I was talking to another mom last night who is seriously thinking about Nursing school (ie hasn't taken the pre-reqs yet and she is 39. So you have got plenty of time. Trust me. You won't be the oldest.