PDA

View Full Version : Meds, Day 1

JTsMom
10-18-2012, 10:12 AM
I just gave Jason his first Vyvanse. I feel like I'm waiting for a volcano to erupt or something.

JustMe
10-18-2012, 10:41 AM
I hope no volcano happens and the meds really help him.

Keep us posted!

JTsMom
10-18-2012, 04:13 PM
Thanks. :)

It's been a really weird day so far. I felt like I was in the Twilight Zone or something. He started the day really wild, and around the 60 min mark, he calmed down a LOT. Shortly after, he was still himself, but a totally calm version of himself. I'm not sure how I could describe it without you having seen the "before" version, but his body was calm, his voice was calm, he was able to sit (!) and his whole attitude did a 180. I sent videos to family members so they could weigh in, and they were all blown away too. It was really, really weird b/c the doctor specifically told me the dose wouldn't be nearly strong enough for him, so I didn't expect to see such a dramatic change on the first day.

The downsides were I couldn't get him to eat at all, he was talking non-stop, and was kind of stuttering a little.

Then, around 3, as quickly as it started, the change ended, and he was back to melting down. He kept screaming that he was angry, and nothing could calm him down. I wonder if that could be b/c the dose isn't strong enough?

I'd love to hear others' stories about how the medication process went.

SummerBaby
10-18-2012, 10:44 PM
My DD currently takes Vyvanse 30. What you describe about your experience sounds typical- it takes about 45-60 minutes to take effect. Also, the lack of eating isn't surprising, although it got better for us. I like to do big breakfasts and dinners because I know she just picks at lunch. As for your DS being angry, that could be what they call rebound- when they come off it it's almost like they have to let out all the energy they held in all day. We usually get that around 7:00. Or his anger could be a side effect. My DD had a bad experience with Concerta- it made her angry and weepy. Medication is trial and error. I would give him a few more days on Vyvanse and see what happens. You might need to try some different ones until you find one that has the best results with the least side effects. Even though I get frustrated with the lack of sleep, the overall behavior benefit makes it worth it for us, particularly in school.

Good luck- I know it's a difficult process. I hope you have success!

cuca_
10-18-2012, 11:20 PM
I think that sounds pretty typical. DD1 has no appetite while on her meds. We try to do big breakfasts and big dinners, but she is not a big eater. At times we need to be really up her calories or she gets too thin.

We dealt with rebound when DD started meds, but it has gotten much better. She is sometimes whiny and emotional after school, which I think is a combination of meds wearing off, hunger and tiredness.

Do watch for the side effects, though. DD had huge meltdowns with one of the meds we tried, which wasn't typical behavior for her. It took me a few days to realize that it was the meds causing it. As soon as we took her off, the behavior went back to normal.

Good luck!

JTsMom
10-19-2012, 09:38 AM
Thanks to both of you. It's really helpful to hear that it sounded pretty normal. The big breakfasts/dinners tip helps too.

JTsMom
10-24-2012, 10:38 AM
Well, that was a bust. Jason developed a rash, stomach pain, and back pain (which concerned me b/c of the possibly kidney issues), so we've discontinued that.

Next up- Concerta.

crl
10-25-2012, 08:20 PM
Good luck finding the right med.

Catherine

cuca_
10-25-2012, 08:55 PM
Hang in there. We are just switching DD1s meds and it is not a fun process. I hope you find the right one for him soon!