PDA

View Full Version : Diapering question

Jupiter
10-18-2012, 11:14 AM
How do you when to use cream or powder? Other than when they clearly have diaper rash. These are the questions that haunt me. Lol:confused:

SnuggleBuggles
10-18-2012, 11:15 AM
I never use powder due to respiratory concerns. I only used cream if an obvious rash.

rin
10-18-2012, 11:18 AM
I find that the less of anything I put down there, the better. I don't use cream/powder/anything unless there's a rash, and then only until the rash clears up. We only use unscented wipes, and then only when there's poop. IME the more chemicals/etc you put down there the more irritated the skin gets.

We use a zinc-based cream (e.g. Desitin, Triple Paste, Up&Up brand zinc diaper cream) when there's a rash. If the rash doesn't clear up within a day or two and looks like lots of little red dots, it's most likely a yeast rash, and you'll need to get a prescription from the pediatrician for a yeast cream.

BabbyO
10-18-2012, 11:20 AM
I've never used powder, either. If we need to be sure to get some drying out...we have naked play on a blanket mommy doesn't care about. :)

What haunts me is white cream or clear cream (we only use when they have a rash or irritation)....

RE: Rin's post - we had yeast once and by far the best thing was a good airing out, but in addition our triage nurse said we could get a prescription or use OTC yeast cream. Lotrimin - I think. I found this Dr. Sears info that helped me: http://www.askdrsears.com/?q=topics/skin-care/diaper-rash

Jupiter
10-19-2012, 10:41 AM
Thanks all! That link was very helpful.

lovebebes
10-20-2012, 12:15 AM
Not exactly an answer to your question but rather a product recommendation-Earth mama angel baby bottom balm is amazing. You can use it as often as you want, at every diaper change if you wish. It has an oily feel and soothes and protects their bottom. It is completely natural and I have been using it for many years now on my girls. I cannot remember a single diaper rash!

jam224
10-20-2012, 02:56 AM
Not exactly an answer to your question but rather a product recommendation-Earth mama angel baby bottom balm is amazing. You can use it as often as you want, at every diaper change if you wish. It has an oily feel and soothes and protects their bottom. It is completely natural and I have been using it for many years now on my girls. I cannot remember a single diaper rash!

:yeahthat: Another fan of EMAB Bottom Balm (http://www.amazon.com/Earth-Mama-Angel-Baby-2-Ounce/dp/B0021HR94K/). I put it on DD whenever she looks a little red down there and it clears it up within hours! Safe for cloth diapers too. But definitely the best remedy is exposure to air. Bottom Balm is a close 2nd!

catsnkid
10-22-2012, 01:36 PM
DS is supersweaty so we used the corn powder the second summer when he was one and it helped quite a bit with irritation. Used cream when red.. found that balmex worked the best for us.

Simon
10-22-2012, 04:28 PM
Don't go overboard with purchases now. I bought one large tube of A&D ointment for Ds1 and six years later I'm still using it with Ds3! Its still about 1/3 full, too.