PDA

View Full Version : ISO Hormones Free Whole Milk

ChefGirl
10-18-2012, 11:37 AM
Ok, this may be a silly question...but, we have been drinking the Costco whole milk forever. Recently, talking to another Mom who was saying how early these days that girls have started their cycle, as early as 9!!! Wow....so she stressed on feeding her girls organic milk. I guess the key here is hormones free.

Obviously the Kirkland one is not organic nor hormones free. Or, are they? We go through a gallon every week amongst the three kids. I just picked up one this week from Whole Foods for $6 Organic Valley compared with $2.xx Kirkland....Wow.

Do you guys know if the Whole Foods brand (non organic) ones are hormones free? What is the difference b/t organic and just hormones free? What is the least expensive hormones free milk out there......

thanks.

DietCokeLover
10-18-2012, 11:39 AM
Aldi milk is hormone free.

Charlie
10-18-2012, 11:46 AM
I just looked at the Costco milk in my fridge and it is produced without artificial growth hormone.

rolypoly27
10-18-2012, 11:51 AM
If there is a Trader Joe's near you, we drink the regular milk from there that is hormone-free and only $2.99 per gallon.

zag95
10-18-2012, 11:52 AM
It's my understanding Costco milk is RBST free- you may want to call and ask if there are other possible hormones.

o_mom
10-18-2012, 11:52 AM
Hormone free means they do not use rBST in the cows.

Organic means that they also feed organic feed and never use antibiotics (non-organic can use antibiotics, but cannot sell the milk while it is in the cow's system).

Both have their issues. I personally think the hormone-free is more of a benefit for the cows than the people drinking it. Organic probably gives you more benefit of a reduced pesticide load because of the organic feed. OTOH, organic means that if a cow gets an infection that needs to be treated with antibiotics, they are no longer 'organic' and are most likely sold to either a non-organic herd or slaughtered.

Yeah - darned if you do, darned if you don't, IMO.

Average age of menarche does not seem to have changed much in the last 30 years from everything I have read - a few months down at most. 9 years old is on the low side, but somebody has to be in that 5-ish percent. Also, it is well documented that the age drops as body fat increases. Given the obesity problems in this country, I think that is far more likely to be a reason than rBST.

Kroger milk is rBST free, however.

ZeeBaby
10-18-2012, 12:15 PM
I started my period at 9 and my plan is to have my girls be as active as possible and keep their weight down as much as possible in the hopes that will avoid menarche as much as possible. I am also on high alert for any hormonal changes in the girls. I try to avoid hormones as much as possible, but it is so hard to control.

wellyes
10-18-2012, 12:24 PM
Most milk you can buy is free of artificial growth hormones now. But kids still get it in yogurt , cheese and other dairy products :(

o_mom
10-18-2012, 12:32 PM
Most milk you can buy is free of artificial growth hormones now. But kids still get it in yogurt , cheese and other dairy products :(

Actually, I'm pretty sure all the Kroger brand dairy (Ralphs, Fred Meyer, etc.) is from cows not treated with rBST. When they switched over, they said they would only process rBST-free milk.

I think Walmart milk is rBST free, but I don't know about their other dairy products.

ETA: In searching, I also found that Kroger is trying to eliminate BPA in canned goods and has eliminated BPA in register receipts. I'm liking Kroger even more now, LOL.

Dream
10-18-2012, 12:35 PM
I started my period at 9 and my plan is to have my girls be as active as possible and keep their weight down as much as possible in the hopes that will avoid menarche as much as possible. I am also on high alert for any hormonal changes in the girls. I try to avoid hormones as much as possible, but it is so hard to control.

This is me too. I started at 9 and I'm trying my best to not let it happen to my DDs. I also hated having breast when none of my friends had. I buy the Organic Valley from TJ, yeah its expensive, $6 per gallon I think. And DD loves chicken so I also buy the Organic chicken from TJ too.

stinkyfeet
10-18-2012, 01:40 PM
We get the Homestead Creamery milk in glass jars from Whole Foods. While I'm not an expert on milk here like some of the BBB parents, we are happ with the product. They are not certified organic, but they seem like a humane farm.

From what I read about them, the cows are grass-fed when the season/weather permits. If they are sick, they are given antibiotics, but kept out of the milking herd for some time.

queenmama
10-18-2012, 03:18 PM
A local farm has milk in our small grocery chain. It is, sadly, out of our budget. $3.50 per half gallon plus $2.25 deposit for the glass bottle. A gallon of "regular" hormone-free milk is around $4 +/-, and I go through one of those in two days (What can I say, I love milk!), so there is no way I could afford the local stuff. I really wish I could support them, not just for my own health but for their company's as well!

We do buy Braum's milk. They're hormone- and antibiotic-free.

JElaineB
10-18-2012, 03:32 PM
I think it is important to understand that no milk is "hormone-free". It can be free of artificial hormones (most specifically rBST or rBGH) but the milk is from a lacating animal and there will still be natural hormones of several types in milk. I do think organic grass-fed is the best milk if you want to avoid artificial hormones. I would also recommend you take a look at the souce of the meat you eat (if you eat meat). Producers of some types of meat are not allowed to use hormones in the animals/feed, but I know at least in beef production steriod hormones and antibiotics are both commonly used growth promotants. Organic and/or grass-fed/pastured is best, if possible if you can find a local farmer to buy from that is a great way to find out what goes in the food you eat.

jerigirl
10-18-2012, 04:02 PM
Most store brand milk I have come across lately is artificial growth hormone free.

maestramommy
10-18-2012, 05:43 PM
Most store brands are hormone free. It should say on the carton.