PDA

View Full Version : Anyone do cross fit?

hillview
10-18-2012, 01:21 PM
I've been doing a bootcamp for almost 2 years. I am considering moving to cross fit. Anyone BTDT? Do you like it? did you get injured or feel you were more likely to get injured?
TIA

wangstar
10-18-2012, 02:11 PM
I've been X-Fit for 1.5 years and I've had the best times!!!
The most important thing about X-fit is FORM; you need to make sure that the box you go to really emphasize on proper form because most injuries occur when you have poor form and try to lift too heavy.

I :heartbeat: X-fit because everyday is different and you don't have to worry about wasting time waiting on machines because the gym is too packed.

At 6.5 months pregger I still x-fit, but at 50% the intensity and only twice a week instead of my pre-preg 4-5 times a week. :43:

brittone2
10-18-2012, 04:47 PM
My very close friend owns a large cross fit gym (erhmmm...."box"). She got into cross fit years ago when it was not as popular. Started with a small gym and grew it into a pretty large gym.

I have considered it, but I am still working on closing my diastasis recti fully. I am not confident my local cross fit gym would understand the limitations that imposes (have to be careful with certain motions, etc. as it could easily be ripped apart again). (eta: I totally know crossfit encourages appropriate scaling and form and all of that...my issue is that I don't get the impression my little rinky dink cross fit box is good about that stuff based on some info I have. My very good friend's gym...I wouldn't hesitate. Too far of a drive for me though).

Way to go!

waitingforgrace
10-18-2012, 04:59 PM
My DH and brother both love it. I'm waiting until DD2 is a year old, just not feasible right now with her nursing and bedtime routine. DH's gym is huge on form and although they push everyone they aren't "pushy" if that makes sense. They want you to do the best YOU can.

DH has a hip issue that limits him but they've worked around it and scaled things back as needed. My brother suffered an unrelated wrist injury and his gym has also been very supportive helping him adjust WODs as needed.

I say go for it! I'm planning to after the first of the year.

SnuggleBuggles
10-18-2012, 05:14 PM
My friend and I plan to go soon. I don't want to go alone- kind of intimidates me. :). But, I love a good workout.

hellokitty
10-18-2012, 09:07 PM
My friend and I plan to go soon. I don't want to go alone- kind of intimidates me. :). But, I love a good workout.

This is my problem too. They finally opened a cross fit gym in our area, but I don't anyone else who would go with me and I'm too chicken to go by myself. Too bad we don't live close to one another, we could go together, lol.

SnuggleBuggles
10-18-2012, 09:40 PM
This is my problem too. They finally opened a cross fit gym in our area, but I don't anyone else who would go with me and I'm too chicken to go by myself. Too bad we don't live close to one another, we could go together, lol.

Glad I'm not alone! I just have no idea what to expect. Visited the local website, etc. but still don't know. When I drive by, it's all hot 20 somethings and that adds to my discomfort. I know they talk about people from every age and walk if life but I don't know if that is the local reality. I'll let you know if I go!!

daisysmom
10-19-2012, 08:41 AM
I have been on the fence about doing this for a good year or more. My good friend just started a few weeks ago and LOVES it so I need to find a way. The times of the classes are a little hard for me to conceive making though - so I need to really think about how to make it work.
Bravo to all the ladies here trying it though!

hillview
10-19-2012, 08:43 AM
OK I went 2x this week. I am in ok but not great shape (was a total TOTAL couch potato 2 years ago).

First time they had an awesome woman who was my person to make sure I didn't do something stupid. The workout was hard -- lots of pushups, done from my knees but I did it and things like kettle bell swings I could easily do. It was a good work out, a bit of a mixed bag but something that I could get better at.

Last night was weight lifting -- I've never been a weight lifter, these were free weights and after 20 mins (!) of instruction on how to do it properly, I did a bunch of weight lifting with a 45 lb weight. It was easy and next time I plan to do a harder weight.

I found it fun and interesting (stuff I haven't done before). The coaches were really good and helpful. DH and I are the oldest people there by 10 years I bet. It isn't a cardio intensive workout but it is fun and a challenge.

SnuggleBuggles
10-19-2012, 08:58 AM
The local Cross Fit place confuses me. It talks about how the 1st time you go, you can only go to 1 time slot b/c they have the staffing for newbies. I can't tell if that is a recommendation or requirement though. There was also a paid assessment they recommend/ require. I don't like confusing things. :) Just tell me clearly where to be and when. :)

wangstar
10-19-2012, 04:06 PM
Most Crossfit box offers a week long (3-4 days) beginner's course called Crossfit 101. This is to get the newbies comfortable about using the equipment and not feel intimidated when working out next to someone that lifting 3x their body weight or doing 90 burpees per minute.

Crossfit boxes are designed to not make you feel like you're in a meat market gym like Bally's or LA Fitness; that's why there are no mirrors or weight machines. There might a bunch of hot 20 somethings walking around but they are there to WORKOUT, not the work their mouth or flirt with the coaches. It's a "check your ego at the door" kinda place; people work hard to challenge themselves, not try to "one up" the guy next to them.

Try the 101 classes if your local box offers the option; they will answer a lot of questions and ease you into the exercises.

AshUVA
10-19-2012, 04:27 PM
I've been doing it for 9 months. I needed a way to get back into shape after DD and I was tired of group classes at the gym and hardware in my ankle was causing issues when I did a lot of running. I LOVE it!!! I've gotten so much stronger than I ever was using weights at the regular gym. I love how varied the workouts are. Each day is different and I don't have to think about planning a workout. I go at lunch time and its kind of like a recess for me! The owner of my gym is a physical therapist so she's very good at adapting the WOD's (workout of the day) for people with limitations. All the coaches are SUPER supportive and are there to encourage and motivate but not push you past your limits. Definitely find one with strong instructors that know what they are doing. Form is everything for injury prevention! I go 4 times a week. I wouldn't expect to lose weight doing CF alone. Many people don't lose much but thier body changes. Fat turns to muscle and things get more firm. I've recently combined the working out with a mostly-paleo diets and have really seen results. If you have more than one in your area, I'd try both of them. Each one has its own "personality."

tarahsolazy
10-22-2012, 02:49 PM
I've been doing it for almost a year. I was a spin junkie before that. I can now do unassisted pull-ups, which I find just amazing, honestly. I have gained tons of strength and awareness of how my body is supposed to move. Its a great way to work out, and despite all the buff people, its quite a supportive environment.

The one time class for newbies or an introductory course is typical and I think a sign of a good box. My box doesn't have this, and I think especially for the barbell Olympic lifts, it would be useful.

LBW
10-22-2012, 05:02 PM
I went to one of the newbie intro classes (just the free general info class) and was so intimidated by the sheer volume of insanely in shape twenty-somethings. They were blaring club music, too, which didn't help.

I was proud of myself for getting through it, and it's the kind of workout I think I'd like. But the atmosphere at that box was just not for me.

I've been told that there's another one nearby that's way more low key. I've thought about trying it again.

cono0507
10-22-2012, 05:25 PM
I was fortunate to find about 8 months ago a women's bootcamp that used to be a Crossfit box but a few years ago the coach transitioned it to a women's only, very supportive environment that doesn't carry the CF name but does many of the same workouts. I was intimidated to try a typical CF place with the crazy fit 20-somethings PP mentioned, but the place i go is truly a great mix of ages and abilities and fitness levels. I really like the workouts and I saw changes in myself after a month of it!

LexyLou
10-23-2012, 12:37 AM
I love crossfit!

In fact I do the books and marketing for our box.

Not only is it a great and effective workout, it's a great environment. I love the people and have made such great friends.

elektra
10-23-2012, 12:51 AM
How is week 2 hillview?

Several of my former athlete friends do crossfit and they are all hooked. It seems a bit cultish to me from the outside looking in actually! My FB feed is filled with crossfit pictures (it must be a regular part of the whole thing- taking pics of each other).
My former boss is now hooked too- he taught spin for several years and has always been in great shape.

I am intrigued though, as the whole team aspect is appealing to me. And I have lifted weights and done agility exercises before, so I could probably catch on quicker than someone who has never done anything like that. I am also feeling a bit blah with my elliptical. I mean it's a solid thing, but it's nice to have variation.

But just like joining a gym or doing any kind of class, the schedule/time/childcare thing seems like it would be really hard for me to pull off.

(Pure barre is another thing that seems interesting.)

jbbhb
10-23-2012, 01:03 AM
How is week 2 hillview?

But just like joining a gym or doing any kind of class, the schedule/time/childcare thing seems like it would be really hard for me to pull off.

:yeahthat: to the daycare/time issue I did just start pure barre and I love it! Totally not what I expected and super hard. I always leave feeling like I got a great workout and the music is good. Bonus that they have classes when dh can be home and that its a half mile from my house.

hillview
10-23-2012, 08:02 AM
How is week 2 hillview?

Several of my former athlete friends do crossfit and they are all hooked. It seems a bit cultish to me from the outside looking in actually! My FB feed is filled with crossfit pictures (it must be a regular part of the whole thing- taking pics of each other).
My former boss is now hooked too- he taught spin for several years and has always been in great shape.

I am intrigued though, as the whole team aspect is appealing to me. And I have lifted weights and done agility exercises before, so I could probably catch on quicker than someone who has never done anything like that. I am also feeling a bit blah with my elliptical. I mean it's a solid thing, but it's nice to have variation.

Well I've been traveling for work but I will be doing it again next week. I really like it as it is interesting and a challenge with a little competition. I think you'd be fine with it -- there was a HUGE range of people in the classes I attended. I agree Pure Barre is also interesting ... might give that a shot at some point.