PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here "famous"?

BDKmom
10-18-2012, 01:31 PM
So between having a poster on Katie Couric's show, and another poster's DH being on ESPN, I'm wondering if anyone else here has had a brush with fame. Anyone been interviewed for the local news, been on a "reality" show, starred in a commercial, even local, etc? I have a friend from growing up who was an extra for several TV shows and movies when he first moved to LA and hadn't found a "real" job yet (he's an engineer). Anyone done something similar? Just curious.

I haven't done any of those things. DH was interviewed for the local news once, when Charlotte beat out Atlanta to become the home for the NASCAR hall of fame. We were coming out of the GA Aquarium and a reporter stopped us and asked if he would answer a few questions. The first thing he told her was that he wasn't a NASCAR fan, but the voice-over to lead into the interview when it aired was, "I talked to (DH), NASCAR fan, to see what he thought..."

BabbyO
10-18-2012, 01:40 PM
The closest claim to fame that I have is I'm related to Dan McCann who traded Chief Sky a bushel of corn for the Bald Eagle that later became known as Old Abe the (Civil) War Eagle:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Abe

That was a cool fact in elementary school....

Me - famous, not so much!

wellyes
10-18-2012, 01:47 PM
When the BPA news came out a few years ago, I was interviewed on TV news --- they were hanging out in a local chi chi baby store doing interviews. I gave my nuanced opinion in a 2 minute interview. They put me on the TV for about 5 seconds, saying "I would never give my baby a BPA bottle!" sigh.

crl
10-18-2012, 01:47 PM
Well, I appeared on the local news and in the local paper when I was in high school. The Department of Conservation had started a summer camp in conjunction with the University and I was in the first group of participants. So I got interviewed and photographed for that. But, really, only because there were just two participants from my town and the other was really shy and refused. This was over twenty years ago now. That's as close as I have ever gotten to famous. :D

Catherine

ETA. Oh! Dh and ds were in the crowd in a shot at a recent Giants game. The picture ran on the sports page and they are really clear in it.

elektra
10-18-2012, 01:54 PM
I am in this commercial! LOL!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iu6PuJnl7E

Funny thing is, this kind of thing came up at a dinner party recently, like the whole 15 minutes of fame thing. And it was actually with people who are not exactly famous but like editors and publishers of magazines and stuff so not exactly low pro either. So everyone was sharing their silly stuff. One guy (publisher of mag) said he was on an MTV gameshow once where they strapped you to a couch or bed (?)
And this commercial was mine. DH said he didn't even know about this! I thought I had mentioned it at some point but apparently not.

lizzywednesday
10-18-2012, 01:55 PM
I am not famous or even close to it. And I have no aspirations to be.

HOWEVER ... I have some brushes with fame:

(1) My grandmother's cousin Walter was a pianist & conductor with the NY Philharmonic for many years. The family story was that he roomed with Leonard Bernstein at Julliard, except when I was putzing around a few weeks ago and looked for Leonard Bernstein information I found he'd never attended Julliard, though he had attended a music conservatory.

He performed at Carnegie Hall on multiple occasions, making him the first person in my extended family to have a recital there.

I am told that my uncle performed at Carnegie Hall while in high school or college, but he's never said a word about it, so it could be another one of my grandmother's brain-farts.

(2) I baby sat for Abe Vigoda's grandsons once. Sweet kids, but I never got a repeat gig. (Abe's daughter, Carol, lives in my hometown.)

(3) My grandfather and my uncle met Lou Costello, whose family owned a summer home in the lake community where I grew up, once during the winter. He said he liked to come down to the beaches and watch the kids ice skate.

(4) I have performed at Carnegie Hall. Twice. The first time, the chorus was conducted by John Rutter, whose name choral music people will recognize as a composer ... or you might recognize him as the man who composed the choral music performed at the wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton.

(5) My husband used to work in radio, which allowed him to do a lot of cool things. One of them was getting VIP passes for a Toby Keith show, so there's a photo of Toby, my FIL and my DH in my FIL's office.

ETA: (6) I went to high school with Austin Scarlett, who was on the 1st season of Project Runway, among other things. We were fairly good friends, but we kind of lost touch after graduation. I think I still have his e-mail address somewhere!

(7) One of DH's friends is a sports talk radio personality for a fairly major station in San Diego; they met doing radio here in NJ. We are also friendly with one of the co-hosts and the producer of a NYC sports talk radio show that is simulcast on MSG Network. DH worked with the producer during his intern days and the same station in NJ where he met the guy who's in San Diego is the same place we met the NYC co-host. He's a really interesting character.

(8) Because of DH's working relationships, we were at a party in Atlantic City with Joe Piscopo, who is a very gracious and very fun guy to be in the room with.

More than that, we're fairly boring people with fairly boring lives.

AnnieW625
10-18-2012, 01:58 PM
I was on local tv in 1996 for work I did for voter registration. I was uncredited in the newspaper when I was 11, and credited it in the newspaper when I graduated from high school; the photographer in high school was my neighbor. I have called into local radio programs at least 4 or 5 times, and been on the air each time.

eta: my brother's girlfriend's step cousin (GF's uncle is the step father) is a Hollywood actress who is on a show on the CW network. I do not believe my brother has met her though, but I anticipate we might meet her when and if DB and GF get married. The families are pretty close from what I understand.

Melaine
10-18-2012, 02:06 PM
My pic was in the paper a few times as a kid (VERY small boring town). I have a short work of nonfiction published in a book, but it's not one anyone would have seen. I've been on local news a couple times. I was on a local kids' tv show that would have guests on in groups to tell what they wanted to be when they grew up. I said "baker" which is weird because I never wanted to do that.

elektra, that is so cool!! Which one are you?

maestramommy
10-18-2012, 02:06 PM
I am not famous or even close to it. And I have no aspirations to be.

HOWEVER ... I have some brushes with fame:

:yeahthat:
When I was a kid, I used to perform with a local suzuki violin group (I played piano) because my teacher was the accompanist. One year I played for then Chicago Mayor Jane Byrne. Another year I performed in the state House, and also for then Gov. Thompson. The group traveled to Italy and was supposed to perform for Pope John Paul II but he had been recently shot, and was still recuperating, so they ended up performing in Vatican Sq outside his window.

The year before I got married, a local Taiwanese community choir I was singing with traveled to Taiwan, and we got to meet and shake the hand of then President Shui-Ben Chen. Hugely exciting because he was the first president elected from the Dem People's Party. The day after I found myself in the local paper. Pic of me shaking his hand, Dh next to me (we were dating, not married yet, but he came along for fun and to do all the audio and video:p).

The school I used to teach at occasionally had celebrity's daughters. I've taught the daughters of Meshach Taylor, John(?) Picardo, Markie Post, and Brian DePalma. And I have to say, meeting some of them during parent conferences is interesting! Picardo was one of my favs. Super cool, had a clear picture of who his DD is, and what she was capable of in my class, didn't spend a single second going on and on about what he does. Our conference lasted 10 minutes and it was all focused on his DD. Nice guy!

codex57
10-18-2012, 02:09 PM
Elektra is famous beyond that commercial. :)

I'm not, but I have family that are. My sister is for sports. She's been essentially retired for a while now but her fan sites are still up. My uncle is for business, among other things. He's always on TV getting interviewed for something or another for his area.

twowhat?
10-18-2012, 02:11 PM
I am in this commercial! LOL!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iu6PuJnl7E

Funny thing is, this kind of thing came up at a dinner party recently, like the whole 15 minutes of fame thing. And it was actually with people who are not exactly famous but like editors and publishers of magazines and stuff so not exactly low pro either. So everyone was sharing their silly stuff. One guy (publisher of mag) said he was on an MTV gameshow once where they strapped you to a couch or bed (?)
And this commercial was mine. DH said he didn't even know about this! I thought I had mentioned it at some point but apparently not.

Were you one of the kids with lines??? So cool! Diet Rite and Tony Danza of all things! :)

I have not a stitch of fame on me.

eta: here's the closest I came. When I was about 2 and at Sears with my mom, a Sears person came up to her and asked if she would please let me model for the Sears catalog. She said that I'd get a year of free clothes. My mom immediately said NO (she probably had visions of something like toddlers and tiaras...). But when my mom tells me this story now, she says that has been one of her biggest regrets in life. LOL!

And I've shook hands and worked with a couple of Nobel prize laureates. That's it.

kdeunc
10-18-2012, 02:12 PM
I have been interviewed several times on local news related to my job (nonprofit). I have also been in our local newspaper.

My "brushes" with fame are meeting Reba McIntire/Jodi Mecina/Vince Gill/Steve Warner of country music fame. My former boss married a musician and I got backstage at the grand ole opry.

I worked in minor league baseball so I have met several major league players through the years.

I have a friend from college who flew cross country with Rob Lowe in the late 80s and had a beer with Kevin Costner while he was filming Bull Durham. I have slight "brush with fame" envy! :D

elektra
10-18-2012, 02:14 PM
Were you one of the kids with lines??? So cool! Diet Rite and Tony Danza of all things! :)

No, I did not have lines. You can barely see me in the background. I still got to go through all the hair and makeup though and I got to meet Tony Danza of course. :tongue5:
He totally spit the Diet Rite out each time he was supposed to take a sip, and would say how nasty it was!

twowhat?
10-18-2012, 02:16 PM
No, I did not have lines. You can barely see me in the background. I still got to go through all the hair and makeup though and I got to meet Tony Danza of course. :tongue5:
He totally spit the Diet Rite out each time he was supposed to take a sip, and would say how nasty it was!

:ROTFLMAO: So awesome!

maydaymommy
10-18-2012, 02:20 PM
(2) I baby sat for Abe Vigoda's grandsons once. Sweet kids, but I never got a repeat gig. (Abe's daughter, Carol, lives in my hometown.)

This is so random, but I have to ask b/c my DH was good friends with Abe Vigoda's grandson in college. Did you sit for Ben? I can't imagine you did b/c he couldn't have been much younger than you are.

On another babysitter/fame note -
When I was young my babysitter was the granddaughter of Norman Fels - Mr. Roper on 3's Company. Or maybe she was his niece. I forget.

amldaley
10-18-2012, 02:21 PM
Pic in the paper as a kid, interviewed in the news as a kid. Nothing since adulthood.

DH seems to pop up everywhere - he has had photos featured on Fox, CNN & BBC America, he was interviewed for the local news when I was pregnant (it was segment about a Daddys-to-Be type class...he was the oldest guy there and he got to wear the pregnancy belly...we're so proud ;) )

I went to HS with a couple of mildly successful actors and musicians. I dated a guy who ended up in a band that was featured on Headbangers Ball :jammin:

BabbyO
10-18-2012, 02:21 PM

Hehehe....I totally remember that commercial growing up! Very cool.

Of course it was nasty...there was no salt in it! :D

wendibird22
10-18-2012, 02:26 PM
Urgh, totally lost my post.

DH and I were in a local tv news spot for the weekly "travel" segment. The travel guy was in upstate NY filming at a water park and DH and I just happened to be there leading a summer camp excursion. Of course it was after a night of tent camping and spending the day on the water rides so I looked like crap. By the time DH and I got back to town so many friends and coworkers had seen the spot. They interviewed a lot of people at the water park but ended up featuring us because we were home town people.

My grandfather was a jazz musician who played some with Benny Goodman.

gatorsmom
10-18-2012, 02:29 PM
DH and I were interviewed for the local evening news just 2 months ago. They wanted to talk to people who were building new homes. They were asking why we chose to build now and if we think the housing market is improving.

My claim to fame is that according to my my Grandmother, whose maiden name was Ebert, we are closely related to the first President of the Weimar republic in Germany. Her grandfather, the ancestor who immigrated, was alive during Frederick Ebert's presidency, so it's possible he knew of the connection to us.

Oh, I totally forgot that when I was six yo, I was on the front page of the local newspapers entertainment section. I was Tinkerbell in the local ballet company's Peter Pan production.

blisstwins
10-18-2012, 02:30 PM
I see Abe Vigoda on the bus all the time (until about a year ago). I actually did think he was dead and so I told him once that he looked just like Abe Vigoda. He laughed and said: "Shhhh." After that, I felt like I saw him all the time and he always said hello. I am sure he lives near me. Goes out by himself with a cane and uses public transportation. Cool, right?

lizzywednesday
10-18-2012, 02:35 PM
This is so random, but I have to ask b/c my DH was good friends with Abe Vigoda's grandson in college. Did you sit for Ben? I can't imagine you did b/c he couldn't have been much younger than you are.

Abe's daughter Carol has 3 boys; her eldest is 1 or 2 years younger than me (we were in high school together) but her younger two were of the age where they'd need a sitter.

None of them were named Ben, unless the eldest's legal name was Ben - I always knew him as Jamie.

sntm
10-18-2012, 02:40 PM
My dad writes for a major newspaper, so I was in some articles. We went on a trip to Ireland together (our heritage) and he wrote that up and I had some pictures published.

My mom worked in radio and TV advertising, so I was in one or two local commercials.

I was featured in an article that started in the WSJ and was in the AP so in lots of papers. That got me featured on Good Morning America, in a truly horrific piece that I threw such a stink about that they apologized to me on air. :D

After my divorce, I dated a relatively well known novelist and a relatively well known comedian. My brother is an actor and I have extracted a promise for him that in exchange for one year of rent-free living with me in NYC, I get to be his date to any televised awards show he gets to attend. That may be many years away, though!

I have a cousin who is a famous footbal player and now sportscaster. Another cousin who won the Indy 500. An aunt who was a gold medalist in the PanAm games.

So, little things but nothing huge. Sadly, I am not secretly Angelina Jolie.

ETA: forgot! My mother knew Billy Ray Cyrus well before he was famous. She worked for a radio station and he was always calling her up, trying to get on. That was before he was country - more rock then.

amldaley
10-18-2012, 02:46 PM
Sadly, I am not secretly Angelina Jolie.

You know, if there really was someone amongst us who was actually famous (big time famous), would he/she even say so? I think the point of choosing a pseudonym when posting to a parenting forum would be to protect ones anonymity.

Can you imagine if sntm really WAS Angelina Jolie? And then she had to ask some crazy question about her kid or {gasp} she posted in the "Healthy You" forum????

(It's okay "Angie", your secret is safe with us...)

sntm
10-18-2012, 02:50 PM
Well I AM secretly Kate Gosselin. ;P

AnnieW625
10-18-2012, 02:53 PM
I've taught the daughters of Meshach Taylor........

His son(s) went to high school with my two male cousins in the same general area. My dad and uncle are alums of the high school as well. He was an emcee for an event the school had in 2008. I had forgotten about that until you mentioned it. My cousins also went to the same elementary school as John DeLancie's kids (Q from Star Trek TNG, and Star Trek Voyager) and my uncle knew him.

rlu
10-18-2012, 02:53 PM
My statement was attributed to the other Rebecca in 8th grade when the local newspaper covered our trip to DC. I had a question printed in the local paper about 2 years ago. That's as famous as I ever got.

DH and DS were featured in a residential paper a few years ago in an article about DH's work in the community (it was a tribute to FIL and showed how DH was following in FIL's footsteps and our aspirations for DS to do the same). FIL was a good friend of Rigo Chacon (local personality) and they worked together on several community efforts/events.

My mom's family are Stuarts (way removed) and MIL's family are Harrisons (more direct descendants).

MIL's aunt and uncle had their nursery painted by Walt Disney (and they painted over it not caring for his characters!)

BDKmom
10-18-2012, 02:54 PM
You know, if there really was someone amongst us who was actually famous (big time famous), would he/she even say so? I think the point of choosing a pseudonym when posting to a parenting forum would be to protect ones anonymity.

I actually thought about this before posting the original question. That's why I phrased it more as brush with fame type things. I ponder this most when watching HGTV and such. I definitely wouldn't want any one "really" famous to think I was fishing.

But it would be wild if Angie is around...

marymoo86
10-18-2012, 02:58 PM
Like PPs I have had my pic in the local hometown paper and was an extra in a low budget movie one summer while I was in college.

lmr1101
10-18-2012, 03:02 PM
Before kids I was an Anchor and Reporter at 3 different tv stations so I was recognized by a lot of people in those cities... although I still have a hard time thinking of as news people as famous people :)

billysmommy
10-18-2012, 03:03 PM
I went to college with John Cena. My boyfriend soph & jr year was good friends with him. He really is very nice (and hot!!)

aa2mama
10-18-2012, 03:04 PM
My 15 minutes of fame is coming up on a Charlie Moore The Mad Fisherman show. He borrowed our bass boat to film locally. I haven't seen the final footage yet, but we should be on the show.

DietCokeLover
10-18-2012, 03:12 PM
Nothing really for me personally, but DH and I are friends with a guy who is climbing the fame ranks in country music. DH played competitive golf with John Daly for a while in younger days. DH is also friendly acquaintances with Mike Huckabee of FoxNews fame.

DH is also published in several books that feature heartwarming short stories.

Momit
10-18-2012, 03:22 PM
I had a famous Hollywood actor in my college class, and he paid the entire bar tab at our reunion this past summer. :jammin: Does that count?

ETA I do have a few for me personally, as well...I was interviewed on the local news in high school. And I wrote a bunch of the sports articles in a local paper. And I was in a TV commercial with an NFL player, I want to say it was a prize in a math-a-thon or read-a-thon (one of those "thons" anyway)

Tenasparkl
10-18-2012, 03:24 PM
My husband is on a pretty well known podcast and is "famous" to a small group of loyal fans. Through his years of working in comedy & my years of working on TV shows we know a lot of actors, comics, musicians etc. There are some famous parents at my DD's preschool. A few are pretty well known, but one in particular shocked me when I saw the name on the class list. I remember from celeb blogs that our kids were born at the same time, but I never guessed that the kids would end up as friends!

zukeypur
10-18-2012, 03:28 PM
Hey, my name is Angie. :ROTFLMAO:

My friend's husband works for an famous country band, but I've never met them. If Taylor swift ever plays with them I'm pulling every card I have to get DD1 to meet them all, lol.

Other than being in the paper a bajillion times growing up (smallish town), I'm not famous.

DD1 was featured on the Children's Miracle Network telethon for a couple of years in Lubbock, TX. They did an interview with me and DD, which is when I realized that my TX accent is VERY pronounced when I'm nervous.

Oh, and we were featured in a baptist magazine when DD was little because of her disabilities and our pending adoption.

AnnieW625
10-18-2012, 03:32 PM
Thought of another one, I am pretty sure that I had a large lecture class with Bridget Marquardt of The Girls Next Door fame. I remember seeing a promo for TGND and thinking she looked familiar from somewhere, but couldn't place it. A few years later I was reading about Kendra Wilkinson on wikipedia and then clicked on Bridget's bio and found out she was at the same college as I was at the same time in the mid to late 90s, and low and behold the same major, but I transferred before she would have graduated (per wikipedia). I know for sure we never had a smaller concentration class together because I was mass communcation and she was in public relations.

amldaley
10-18-2012, 03:58 PM
I actually thought about this before posting the original question. That's why I phrased it more as brush with fame type things. I ponder this most when watching HGTV and such. I definitely wouldn't want any one "really" famous to think I was fishing.

But it would be wild if Angie is around...

I get that. HGTV makes me wonder completely random things, too. ;)

waitingforgrace
10-18-2012, 04:07 PM
Me? No

But my best friend is a news reporter for a good sized market and another friend won the Amazing Race one season.

melissaflorida
10-18-2012, 04:13 PM
I personally am not famous lol but my ex boyfriend was a pro football player who played in the pro bowl and won the super bowl twice. It was very fun traveling to the games when he was on a winning team not so much when he got traded to a non winning team lol

~melissa

Binkandabee
10-18-2012, 04:15 PM
John Adams is a grandfather of mine, although I am not certain to which degree of greatness.

psimpson3-5
10-18-2012, 04:22 PM
Same story as many - I've been on the local news, so has my husband.

I've met the Beastie Boys which was pretty sweet! :yay:

I don't know if anyone will consider this in the "famous" category, but right now a historian is preparing a exhibit for an event at the Old Pine Street Church (http://www.oldpine.org/) in Philadelphia. The event celebrates 250 years (or is it 200?) of the church's existence. A somewhat famous man by the name of John "Strangeways" Hutton is buried there. My son is related to him and will be featured in an exhibit as he is the youngest known relative of John Hutton.

BayGirl2
10-18-2012, 04:34 PM
A few years ago I was featured as a success story for a major weight loss program. Not just one of the usual stories on the website and in the magazine, but I actually did stint blogging for them while following a specific fitness routine for about 4 months. So there were many profiles/pictures of me, and my compensation was a custom designer wedding gown for the photo shoot. That was over 5 years ago and blogging was not as popular then as it is now.

Not sure if its celebrity, but it certainly got some attention when I bought two of the same magazine in Costco. The cashier asked why and I told him I was in it and showed him the page. He started showing others in line. Oh and my extended family bought them up too.

Hmmm, I just googled the name of the fitness program and pics of me came up. Just shows that you cannot escape your past on the internet!

3isEnough
10-18-2012, 04:44 PM
My claim to fame is that I was on House Hunters about 3 years ago, and I was an extra in Sixteen Candles when I was young. Both were fun experiences. I'm also related to Lionel Ritchie by marriage.

Not a claim to fame per se, but living in LA I see celebrities all the time. Last week was the guy who plays Phil on Modern Family (out walking with his wife and baby) and Justin Long. The week prior was Reece Witherspoon out to dinner with her husband and Ricki Lake next to me in spin class. We also have what seems to be an unusually high number of Olympians in this area. I can think of 4 that I interact with regularly (track & field, swimming & 2 volleyball). Maybe it's because I live in an active, fitness oriented area. They don't have Michael Phelps' kind of notoriety, but all of them medaled at the Olympics.

Pre-DH I dated the president of a major record label and so I got to go to a lot of Hollywood parties filled with supposedly important people. It was a lot of work to get ready for the parties and "play the part", so I often longed to be home in my pajamas watching a movie. Fast forward 10 years and now I pretty much go to no parties and am often home in my pajamas watching a movie ;)

melrose7
10-18-2012, 04:44 PM
My only fame was being in the newspaper in HS for althete of the week type thing.

My oldest brother use to play with "The Gufs" a band from Milwaukee before they were famous.

My Grandpa worked(painted his house) for Hank Aaron and wanted to give him some signed baseball stuff but at the time it was my mom and 2 other girls in the family (later my uncle was born) and said he didn't need anything with 3 girls.

NCGrandma
10-18-2012, 04:53 PM
So I guess none of Honey BooBoo's family are BBBers? (Well, OP did mention 'reality' shows...)

maestramommy
10-18-2012, 04:57 PM
Elektra is famous beyond that commercial. :)

I'm not, but I have family that are. My sister is for sports. She's been essentially retired for a while now but her fan sites are still up. My uncle is for business, among other things. He's always on TV getting interviewed for something or another for his area.

Codex, I am SOOOOO curious to who your sister is! :tongue5:

PunkyBoo
10-18-2012, 05:01 PM
I was featured in the newspaper (a pretty big paper) when I was 7 for a poem I wrote in school. I was also in the newspaper a few times for a project I worked on at a previous job. I was on the local news as a teenager for an amnesty international protest/ march I participated in. There were several celebrities in my Jr. High and high school as I grew up in suburbs of L.A. and I was dven in a school play wigh Cuba Gooding Jr. In our elementary school. The houses used on Beverly Hills 90210 are down the street from my MILs house where DH grew up. Oh once when I was little I met Curly the Harlem Globetrotter when they were filming a Coke commercial at a park near my house and he bought me an ice cream from the ice cream truck :).

bisous
10-18-2012, 05:05 PM
I'm definitely not famous. I've never been in the news or a show or anything like that.

I do write a blog and it is sponsored by a major entertainment company. It is fun to write the blog but for some reason when the company chose to make a magazine of some of my best articles that was somehow much cooler! So my pictures and writing work have been featured in small periodicals for a very specific audience. I write about life with my DS1's medical condition.

gobadgers
10-18-2012, 05:08 PM
My only fame was being in the newspaper in HS for althete of the week type thing.

My oldest brother use to play with "The Gufs" a band from Milwaukee before they were famous.

My Grandpa worked(painted his house) for Hank Aaron and wanted to give him some signed baseball stuff but at the time it was my mom and 2 other girls in the family (later my uncle was born) and said he didn't need anything with 3 girls.

I saw The Gufs at least twice in college, and I still have their album!! I need to go listen now.

We are not famous or even very interesting :) But my kids and DH seem to be in our local papers all the time at random events - free skate time at the ice rink, tea party at the library and other events.

I think the closest I've gotten to my 15 minutes is this - one of my first dates with DH was to see Blue Man Group, and he and I were both picked from the audience to go on stage. So, I've eaten a Twinkie with Blue Men :)

elliput
10-18-2012, 05:18 PM
I've been interviewed by local news a couple times. Once in high school and once when I was in my early twenties. The one for high school was because I had co-written, directed, produced and acted in a children's play for a community theater. The other time I was representing the local chapter of a medieval and renaissance re-creation group. I was in a bar at happy hour when that one aired on the TV across the room. :rotflmao:

I was an extra for the carnival scenes in The Stone Boy (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088176/), but the lines that were filmed in around the area I was in were cut. My brother has a speaking part in the film. :)

I just remembered that I was interviewed but not on camera for a bit on autism a couple years ago, the piece does have footage of DD during one of her speech therapy sessions.

katydid1971
10-18-2012, 05:25 PM
DH's uncle is someone very famous in the world of sports

I grew up around the corner from Evel Knievel and use to trick or treat at his house and before you ask, he gave out full sized Chuckles candy, he was a spokesman. My town was kind of small so I had met him many times and I am pretty close with some of his family members.

I also grew up with Levi Leipheimer who was big in the biking world and is very much mixed in with the Lance Armstrong thing

I also have a high school friend who is president of Emily's List, she's only famous in political junkie circles.

SnuggleBuggles
10-18-2012, 05:28 PM
A few years ago, I was randomly interviewed for the local news 2 times. Hated it- didn't know if I should talk to the interviewer of camera! Otherwise, nope.

anonomom
10-18-2012, 05:30 PM
When I was very small (5-6 years old), I was in a few commericals. Nothing I can find on youtube, though.

About a year ago, I was on the local news twice when a government agency wanted to locate an enforcement office in my neighborhood. Of course, I was weeks away from having DS at the time and was roughly the size of Jupiter. Sooo flattering.

essnce629
10-18-2012, 05:52 PM
I was on the Charlottesville local news when I threw a chickenpox party at my house when DS1 got chickenpox. I was 6 months pregnant with DS2 at the time.

Here's one of the articles and our picture: http://www.newsplex.com/news/headlines/40873147.html

codex57
10-18-2012, 05:59 PM
Codex, I am SOOOOO curious to who your sister is! :tongue5:

Minor, minor celebrity. Elektra was more "successful" at her sport than my sister, but my sister did an individual sport. So, she gained fans. She was high enough that we're family friends with world famous athletes in the sport (like multiple gold medalists, etc). Apparently, a few became clients of my dad's. At least I can say I saw a movie with a multi-world/national and 2 time Olympic medalist. If you know the sport, you can pretty easily figure out who I'm talking about. :) I've prolly mentioned who that was in a past post, but I like to stay vague as to my actual family.

chlobo
10-18-2012, 06:02 PM
I was on the news a couple of times when I was a community organizer with seniors.

At my next job, I took the cover shot for a book that was being written about the neighborhood where I worked. That book is used in some social work schools.

At my last job, I was in a documentary about the director and his brother.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/somuchsofast/

MichelleRC
10-18-2012, 06:12 PM
Well, I am not famous to married to anyone famous, but I have had many "brush with fame" experiences.

In the early late 80's/90's, I was an intern at Saturday Night Live and Entertainment Tonight while I was in college. I was also friendly with a girl who was one of the kids on an 80's sitcom, and who now does voices on kids' shows. I have not spoken to her in years though.

DH claims that his mom is a distant relative of Alexander Graham Bell, but I am not too sure about that.

ha98ed14
10-18-2012, 06:13 PM
I was interviewed for an article in the WSJ. The crazy thing is that the journalist found me based on my posts on this board! When the article ran, a friend (not from BBB) called and asked me if it was really me. Indeed it was!

Momit
10-18-2012, 06:42 PM
John Adams is a grandfather of mine, although I am not certain to which degree of greatness.

Hey, me too! :wavey: Hello, "cousin"!

Twoboos
10-18-2012, 06:56 PM
I was interviewed briefly on MTV when in college. Basically b/c I ran up to them and asked to be interviewed. Shameless. I also have a pic of me & Alec Baldwin from college. Again, shameless, I made sure I elbowed my way to the front of the line for that one.

I've been on the news once, they did a profile of the baby yoga class DD1 and I in. And in the paper once, they did a whole writeup about unique marriage proposals and they interviewed me - DH did good. ;)

Last week I was on a radio trivia game show. And I lost. :bag

g-mama
10-18-2012, 06:57 PM
I was on the local Fox news channel in August, along with my husband. They did a feature story on the Grand Opening of our new store. My dh did most of the talking but me and the kids were on camera, too.

kara97210
10-18-2012, 07:11 PM
Not famous at all, but I’m sometimes a spokesperson for my company, so I’m occasionally quoted in the press - usually just in trade press. We actually have a big announcement next week, so look for me then:)

When I was a kid one of my mom’s friends was in the marketing dept at Nordstrom and my siblings and I were in some Nordstrom print ads when I was in high school. It’s more impressive now that it’s a national chain, it was one of our local dept stores growing up. I’m definitely not model material now, but I have some great pictures from that time that my husband very proudly displays in his office.

TxCat
10-18-2012, 07:20 PM
Nothing personally for me or DH, not even local news. We're pretty low-profile apparently!

Brushes with fame by extension - my sister is becoming a pretty well-respected novelist nationally and internationally- her last two books were prominently reviewed by the NYT, were named to various reading lists of popular magazines, etc, and she won a major literary prize. In college I met a few fellow students who are now major superstars in sports, film, and politics, but just knew them superficially. Pre-DH, I had a brief fling with a surgeon who was later on Boston Med.

amldaley
10-18-2012, 07:23 PM
I was on the local Fox news channel in August, along with my husband. They did a feature story on the Grand Opening of our new store. My dh did most of the talking but me and the kids were on camera, too.

This reminds me...DH and I were featured in the paper when we opened our coffee shop.

Cam&Clay
10-18-2012, 07:24 PM
My BFF was engaged to Patton Oswalt in college. We get in free when he does stand up near here.

My brother-in-law is a somewhat famous author. His books have been sold for screenplays. He was also the host of a show on the travel channel.

DH has major league baseball season tickets and sits in the same section as some of the talking heads on Fox News. He chats with them frequently at games.

joules
10-18-2012, 07:46 PM
I'm not famous, but am related to some famous people. My dad is Bruce Lee's cousin and my Grandmother (on my mom's side) is related to the Last Emperor. She lived by the Forbidden City in an area reserved for his relatives. Does that make me a Kung Fu Princess? hahaha.

sophiesmom03
10-18-2012, 08:23 PM
DH and I were interviewed for the local evening news just 2 months ago. They wanted to talk to people who were building new homes. They were asking why we chose to build now and if we think the housing market is improving.

My claim to fame is that according to my my Grandmother, whose maiden name was Ebert, we are closely related to the first President of the Weimar republic in Germany. Her grandfather, the ancestor who immigrated, was alive during Frederick Ebert's presidency, so it's possible he knew of the connection to us.

Oh, I totally forgot that when I was six yo, I was on the front page of the local newspapers entertainment section. I was Tinkerbell in the local ballet company's Peter Pan production.

My grandmother's maiden name was Ebert too...

ilfaith
10-18-2012, 08:30 PM
I was interviewed by the local news when I was about eight months pregnant with DS2. They were doing a story on sun protection and what to bring to the beach on particularly hot days (we were in the midst of a heat wave). I was in a bathing suit (just how every eight-month-pg woman wants to be broadcast) and they showed me putting sunblock on my then 2-year-old DS1. I said something along the lines of how before kids I would just head to the beach with a bottle of Hawaiian Tropic and a People magazine, and now planning a trip to the beach was like the Normandy invasion.

In college I performed on a student-produced sketch comedy show which was broadcast on campus TV as well as on the local public access station. Once in a great while somebody would recognize me.

I used to write for a national luxury real estate magazine, my articles got a by-line (my pre-marriage name). Occasionally my stories got picked up by other publications with greater circulation (like the Miami Herald...much to my grandmother's delight!).

One college boyfriend is an Emmy-winning newscaster on Long Island. We are still FB friends.

I do know quite a few people in the entertainment industry, either from college (most of whom are in Los Angeles now) and my years living in NYC. I wouldn't say anyone is a household name. In one strange twist, a friend from high school wrote and produced a sitcom that starred a woman I (vaguely) knew in college...the actress is now on the Real Housewives of OC.

lovebebes
10-18-2012, 08:34 PM
I'm an actor for a living, but I am not famous by any means, I only do commercials. I do know some famous people though :)

maestramommy
10-18-2012, 08:42 PM
Oh almost forgot.

In HS select members of my orchestra were playing a lot of gigs for Board of Ed events. One event we played was attended by Oprah, back when her show was the Oprah Winfrey Show (for reference I graduated in 86). She came out to say high briefly and give us a compliment while we were in the middle of a tune. I remember that sometimes when I think about how huge she has become since then.

almostamom
10-18-2012, 09:03 PM
I was interviewed by all of our local news channels about 10 years ago because my students were going on a field trip and the bus company we hired took off with our money (thousands of dollars that kids from families with no money spent a year raising!) I was on a local children's show a couple of times when I was little.

I went to middle and high school with a well known and now retired athlete. I tutored Sandra Day O'Connor's granddaughter. One of my sisters hosted a local television show and my other sister is an author. My DH went to high school with our former governor (his sister and the former gov. are friends). A friend was the VP for an NBA team, so I met the coach and a few players. I got to sit next to the star player in the team's box at an NFL game. He was a really nice guy. That was years ago! One of my former students plays for a highly ranked college football team, but he's only famous in my eyes (and probably his mother's!)

NCGrandma
10-18-2012, 09:15 PM
I've been reading all these brushes with fame, thinking that I was too boring to have anything to contribute, but then I remembered that two of my former students were on the White House medical staff and a third almost made the cut. Guess that counts.

fortato
10-18-2012, 09:22 PM
Not famous, but you've probably seen me. Especially if you watched MTV in the 90's....

lalasmama
10-18-2012, 09:30 PM
I met (a few times) the man who wrote "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest".

Otherwise, no, I'm not famous, nor do I have any closer brushes with fame that I can think of at the moment!

BabyBearsMom
10-18-2012, 09:33 PM
Not famous, but you've probably seen me. Especially if you watched MTV in the 90's....

Oooooh! Are you Kennedy?

I knew a guy in college who is now a very famous basketball player. He wasn't doing so hot in his intro accounting class and my advisor asked me to help him study for a few tests. He is an idiot. And yet his annual salary is nearly 100x more than mine. I guess doing well in accounting class isn't that important

Melaine
10-18-2012, 09:34 PM
i thought of a funny one: BFF date Ryan Bowers, one of the jerks this season on The Bachelorette. I did meet him once and he was nice enough.

pinkmomagain
10-18-2012, 09:42 PM
I've been interviewed by local tv briefly. My dd1 has been interviewed a few times, more in depth. My dh is quoted in articles (mostly trade) sometimes regarding the business he is in.

We do seem to see/run into alot of celebs. The town I live in has a couple of very famous residents. I see one in CVS all the time....pretty funny, as she is pretty glamorous. We see a ton where our beach house is. I had a great encounter with Andy Cohen of Bravo this summer. And we seem to run into some in our travels...especially my husband -- he seems to see so many in the airport or on his plane rides!

flashy09
10-18-2012, 09:49 PM
I am not, but I am going to live vicariously through my family!

My Mom....first boyfriend was Iggy Pop. I have the picture to prove it! He was a sweet 17 yr old named Jimmy

My Grandfather...developed aluminium foil for the home, aluminum cans for soda/beer, and recycling of both. His uncle was RJ Reynolds, who pretty much started cigarettes. Sorry.

My DH great grandfather was the longest running prime minister of England.

Dh and I have famous fashion designers as good friends (badgely mishcka)

My Grandfather's horse won 2 out 3 Triple Crown races in Thoroughbred racing.

Melbel
10-18-2012, 09:54 PM
I modeled clothing as a young child and in high school, including several TV commercials (regional store). I am very low profile these days though!

DH was on college Jeopardy and was in the paper and on the news quite a bit years ago (part of his job).

I met Tony Danza while on a girls' ski trip to Park City. He actually commented that my then fiancé was "a very lucky guy", lol.

melrose7
10-18-2012, 10:06 PM
I saw The Gufs at least twice in college, and I still have their album!! I need to go listen now.

I was so excited when they came to my college and I was able to go an talk to them because I knew all of them. They gave my friends and I free tapes. Still have mine but nothing to play it on. Whenever I hear those songs it brings back great college memories though.

elliput
10-18-2012, 10:15 PM
I've got a couple other connections-

I've known the guy playing the husband in this Stanley Steamer commercial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWviL_8ShZc&feature=related) since we were in 1st grade. He had been touring with Rock of Ages and did some of the Broadway shows.

I dated a guy who has an FX studio in Hollywood. He actually has an Oscar.

KpbS
10-18-2012, 10:28 PM
I just realized that I actually am famous! DH and I own a business and have for years. One day last year I was shopping at our local grocery store and realized a cart had just passed me with one of those cart "bumper" advertisements with my picture on it! No one had bothered to mention that our one of our advertisement photos was going to be plastered all over carts at the local grocers! Needless to say, it cracked me up. :ROTFLMAO:

DH has been on the local news several times. We love to replay the interviews and chuckle with him as he was interviewed without much time to prepare.

pb&j
10-18-2012, 10:35 PM
I'm not at all famous, but have had too many brushes with fame to count. DH hobnobs with celebs passing through town as part of his job, and we have a surprisingly large number of celebs who live in the area.

Favorite brushes:
-Went to high school with a member of a (now) hugely famous band. He dropped out of college when the band was formed, and I thought he was an idiot. What do I know!!

-I almost ran over a former pro athlete and current broadcaster when he stepped out in front of me with his head down texting while he was walking.

-A musician I was a fan of in college moved in across the street from me. We are now friends - he and DH have traveled together, and he's stayed at our house.

kbud
10-18-2012, 10:40 PM

I love The Gufs!!! DH is from WI and introduced me to them. When we were dating he made me a CD with a lot of Gufs songs on it. Our first dance at our wedding was to "For a Ride". I noticed recently that they appear to not be together any more. Ok, gotta go listen to them now as I haven't listened in quite awhile. I love the song Smile.

ijopint
10-18-2012, 10:45 PM
When I was in college, I was featured in a national magazine ( back home in Asia) as one of the foremost female rock climber (when rock climbing back then was just starting to gained recognition). I posed showing some moves. oh I missed those days when you have so much energy and endurance!. :love5: Well, I am not actively pursuing it but DH and I still go hiking with the kids from time to time .

mom2binsd
10-18-2012, 10:47 PM
My boyfriend/fiance - we never married though- was the brother of a very famous hockey player and it was at the height of said brothers career. Whenever we went places and BF used his cc or we made reservations we always got the best of everything! Had I married though it would have been a pain at times, the name is super unique and where I was from he is a Legend.

My mom dated Peter Jennings and went to Sunday School with Rich Little. Her job in the Canadian Parliament got me a meet and greet with Princess Diana who commented on my sapphire ring that was just like hers. I also got to babysit for then/future Prime Minster Joe CLark, he wasn't Prime Minister for long though.

With my XH got to meet lots of celebs due to his job in the NFL, had the pleasure of hearing Dennis Rodman/Carmen Elektra do it in a bathroom, got to talk to Jack Wagner at a golf tournament. Have a great photo of us and Wayne Gretzky while we waited for his limo to show up, so funny as he talked about the trials of raising a girl-little did he know his little girl would be tweeting pics of herself in bikini's all over the world.

Favorite memory though is of getting to know Scott Hamilton during the 1984 World Figure Skating Championships, I was 15, off school for the week to be a "runner" had to make sure skaters had water/juice etc, was assigned to the men's group. Scott was so fun, I was too shy to enter the men's dressing room so he referred to himself as my "gofer", and after he won gave me all his flowers to take home.:hug: He was a riot all week and completely down to earth even though he had already won the Olympics. Katerina Witt on the other hand, complete B*^{!@

happymom
10-18-2012, 10:55 PM
-I almost ran over a former pro athlete and current broadcaster when he stepped out in front of me with his head down texting while he was walking.

This reminded me- my father got into a car accident with Susan Day in the 80's in LA. Everyone was ok and it made for a funny story.

dukie41181
10-18-2012, 11:10 PM
I'm not famous but I went to high school with Tom Welling who played Clark Kent on Smallville. Also, a friend's dad is a professional football coach and my brother-in-law is on Broadway and so he has met tons of famous people like Beyonce and Kristin Chenowith. Aside from that, no brushes with fame.

Edited to add: I almost forgot that my husband met Usher and Magic Johnson both who came through his office a few years back. I think Lebron James may have been here too at one point. We got to attend an incredibly small " concert" from Kid Rock and stood about 10 feet from him for a long set. All this was through my husband's employer.

kbud
10-18-2012, 11:10 PM
My biggest moment of fame was during college. I was on the dance team and we were performing at a Mon. night Denver Broncos Football Game and I had a wardrobe malfunction. I was featured on the jumbo tron!

My great uncle invented Mt. Dew.

DHs great grandfather was murdered by Belle Gunness a female serial killer. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belle_Gunness

I was a flight attendant and had Cory Feldman on a flight. I had to stop the pilots from taking off as Cory had all of his carry on emptied on the seat next to him because his hair gel leaked! I also had the rap group the Fat Boys on a flight.

I dated an NFL pro-bowler for awhile and through him met a number of players. One holds a super bowl record but also found himself in federal prison.

I dated a guy who now is a model, actor, stunt man in some very big movies. I have no idea how he landed in this field as we were in our late 20s when we dated and he wasn't doing this. He did have the looks for it though;)

I met Alonzo Mourning and Sinbad in HI during a trip with the college dance team.

Last year I was at the Pearl Jam 20 year anniversary festival and saw Dennis Rodman. Funny thing is that my dh has been in the Pearl Jam fan club for a very, very long time. Fan club seats are based on seniority in the club so our seats are always in the first few rows, even at this huge festival. Our seats were better than Rodman's;) Although he inched his way over to our area and watched the concert a few feet away from us.

One of DHs bosses son is on the show Army Wives.

Pennylane
10-18-2012, 11:15 PM
Not famous, but I used to hang out with a pretty famous guy (in his field of entertainment) and I also dated a baseball player in my 20's who is very famous! We haven't talked in years, but we are FB friends.

Ann

endlessheather
10-18-2012, 11:27 PM
Not famous but have some family connections...

My step-mom (mom as far as I'm concerned) has family members in tv/movie industry. Her uncle was a famous director that had Academy Award nominated movies, won a Golden Globe and has some pretty iconic movies in general. Lots of the family is in the movie industry but one of my mom's cousin's has produced / directed lots of tv shows people would recognize like House, CSI, Fringe and is working on a new tv series that isn't released yet. My parents have him and his family stay at Thanksgiving with them every year but we only travel for Christmas so we aren't there when they are..kind of a bummer since he's just a really really nice guy.

My dad's great grandfather was an electrician for Disney and did a lot of the original Disneyland rides.

Besides that it's pretty boring....met some random celebrities over the years and brushes but nothing big about myself would make headlines.

MontrealMum
10-18-2012, 11:47 PM
Not famous at all, but I've been on local news and in the local paper both here and back home for small, local interest type stuff.

I went to high school with Gillian Anderson (yes, we were in drama class together), and I'm distantly related to a well-known (former) NHL goalie. Mind you, I've never met him, but it helps people remember how to pronounce my last name!

kellij
10-18-2012, 11:50 PM
I'm haven't had even a teeny brush with fame. My sister was on a game show last year and then she was in an article in the Huffington Post for funniest game show moments, or something like that.

She has also written a show that may be on the new amazon network. Fingers crossed!!

mom2binsd
10-18-2012, 11:54 PM
Oh, forgot that Sandra Oh went to my high school. She was the star of the drama club even as a freshman, but also super super smart. Her sister was in my grade and they look exactly alike and when I watch Grey's I always think it's her sister.

kara97210
10-19-2012, 12:02 AM
DHs great grandfather was murdered by Belle Gunness a female serial killer. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belle_Gunness

This is fascinating. Was he a boyfriend or husband?

zukeypur
10-19-2012, 12:08 AM
My biggest moment of fame was during college. I was on the dance team and we were performing at a Mon. night Denver Broncos Football Game and I had a wardrobe malfunction. I was featured on the jumbo tron!

My great uncle invented Mt. Dew.

I was a flight attendant and had Cory Feldman on a flight. I had to stop the pilots from taking off as Cory had all of his carry on emptied on the seat next to him because his hair gel leaked! I also had the rap group the Fat Boys on a flight.

I dated an NFL pro-bowler for awhile and through him met a number of players. One holds a super bowl record but also found himself in federal prison.

I dated a guy who now is a model, actor, stunt man in some very big movies. I have no idea how he landed in this field as we were in our late 20s when we dated and he wasn't doing this. He did have the looks for it though;)

I met Alonzo Mourning and Sinbad in HI during a trip with the college dance team.

Last year I was at the Pearl Jam 20 year anniversary festival and saw Dennis Rodman. Funny thing is that my dh has been in the Pearl Jam fan club for a very, very long time. Fan club seats are based on seniority in the club so our seats are always in the first few rows, even at this huge festival. Our seats were better than Rodman's;) Although he inched his way over to our area and watched the concert a few feet away from us.

One of DHs bosses son is on the show Army Wives.
DH would be SOOO jealous of you for getting to go to the PJ20 concert! He's been in the fan club since 1992 or 1993 I think. Our daughter is named Harper. :). We really wanted to go but DH was having horrible back pain issues (found out it was a tumor 9 months later) and we didn't think he could make the flight.

american_mama
10-19-2012, 12:12 AM
Not me. As a grad student, DH was asked to pose for a university photographer in his lab with his advisor with beakers and white lab coat, etc. It's a nice photo and was used in a university magazine in an article about mentoring. But the funny thing is that photo has somehow been sold many times. It was in Washington Post magazine in an article about something quite different, and in a Southwest Airlines magazine in an article about executive education (yeah, which normally takes place in a chemistry lab with white lab coats.. .) Many friends, close and distant (and one crazy ex-girlfriend) saw the photos the year they were bouncing around and got in touch with DH.

american_mama
10-19-2012, 12:15 AM
Favorite brushes:
-Went to high school with a member of a (now) hugely famous band. He dropped out of college when the band was formed, and I thought he was an idiot. What do I know!!

-A musician I was a fan of in college moved in across the street from me. We are now friends - he and DH have traveled together, and he's stayed at our house.

I can guess who #1 and #2 are, but not #3. Hmmm...

echoesofspring
10-19-2012, 12:41 AM
Does having your PA comment "I enjoyed your performance last week" while you are, um, up in the stirrups count? :o

That was awkward, I never realized until then how I just sort of assume I'm anonymous at dr's appts, not any more

Jacksmommy2b
10-19-2012, 01:10 AM
My big claim to fame:

I write fan fic and am fairly well known in certain fic circles. :) (FTR, I don't do 50 shades style fic) Good god that really makes me sound every bit the super nerd I am.

I have even met a few 'fans' IRL when they flew up here. Other than that, I'm only known by my screen name. (not the same one I use here)

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

essnce629
10-19-2012, 01:23 AM
Oh, I forgot that I went to high school with Bill Walton's 3 sons and nephew. I was a cheer leader so I was at every one of their basketball games and Bill was often in attendence. He is sooooo tall. I've been to their house as well. They had a life size teepee in their backyard and the house was FULL of Grateful Dead memorabilia.

I'm in LA so I've run into a handful of celebs out here. Remember my encounter with Taye Diggs at my kids' swim school last year. He was so nice. I've passed by Gavin Rossdale and his two boys at the park. He said hi to me! And DS2 goes to preschool with Ana Ortiz's (from Ugly Betty) daughter. Ana was in the parent and me class with me and she's so down to earth and nice. DS2 also goes to school with Balthazar Getty's daughter and we were invited to their house for her birthday/Halloween party two weeks ago. We went and also in attendance was Jason Bateman, Eric Dane from Grey's Anatomy, and Soleil Moon Frye (aka Punky Brewster).

vejemom
10-19-2012, 06:50 AM
I've met Diary of a Wimpy Kid author Jeff Kinney a few times. I work for his brother. I've also met David Baldacci. He was a classmate of my husband's and he comes to class reunions.

I've also met a couple people who are "famous" in their respective professions, but maybe not too recognizable to the world in general. Opera singer Dmitri Hvorostovsky ( who is soooo cute) and a couple of Jiu Jitsu world champions we've come to do seminars at our gym.

kbud
10-19-2012, 08:52 AM
This is fascinating. Was he a boyfriend or husband?

My husband;).

They found his head buried at her house after she set it on fire. There is a picture of his head on line, creepy! The story of Belle is very fascinating.

Kymberley
10-19-2012, 09:28 AM
Not famous by a long shot. I am related to Chuck Yeager, which my dad will proudly tell anyone even slightly interested. My sister is a movie writer/director. Her first movie was released for nationwide distribution this week.

TxCat
10-19-2012, 09:28 AM
Oooooh! Are you Kennedy?

Ha! That was my first thought too. Or Tabitha Soren, although the kids don't add up.

pb&j
10-19-2012, 09:31 AM
I can guess who #1 and #2 are, but not #3. Hmmm...

LOL, I was actually a fan of his up in Boston where I went to college, so that he moved in across the street from me in VA was bizarre (turns out his wife is from VA, yada yada...). Most people here don't know who he is.

TxCat
10-19-2012, 09:31 AM
Forgot to add that I was in a creative writing class with Michael Lewis (author of The Blind Side, The Big Short, etc.) in college (he was there on a fellowship right after his first book came out). Incredibly nice and funny. Would love to see him again at a reading or book tour.

BabbyO
10-19-2012, 09:35 AM

Too cool! (I'm a Milwaukee area native and remember the Gufs)

I'm not famous, but am related to some famous people. My dad is Bruce Lee's cousin and my Grandmother (on my mom's side) is related to the Last Emperor. She lived by the Forbidden City in an area reserved for his relatives. Does that make me a Kung Fu Princess? hahaha.
My husband would be SO jealous....

trcy
10-19-2012, 09:42 AM
Not really…..I was in the paper a few times as a kid. Some people I know have had friends that were friends with famous people.

karstmama
10-19-2012, 10:29 AM
my next door neighbor is a big-time newspaper editor. it was their summer home, but they live here the majority of the time since he retired. paper nerds or war correspondent geeks would recognize his name & face.

i was in an airport waiting area with what seemed like the entire world wrestling federation in full regalia. earlier that day, i had eaten at the table next to jim valvano. it was a good day.

i've met queen noor and jane goodall.

lizzywednesday
10-19-2012, 10:48 AM
Forgot to add that I was in a creative writing class with Michael Lewis (author of The Blind Side, The Big Short, etc.) in college (he was there on a fellowship right after his first book came out). Incredibly nice and funny. Would love to see him again at a reading or book tour.

I like his writing; he wrote the "Dad Again" series in Slate after his 2nd daughter was born ... and he did a few columns after his son was born:

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/dad_again/2007/01/dad_again_again.html

I bought his collected fatherhood essays for DH as a first Father's Day gift, but I don't think DH read them. Sad, really, because I think he would have related.

TwinFoxes
10-19-2012, 11:28 AM
I need NAMES people! :)

I've met more celebrities than I can count. Off the top of my head: Ben Affleck (one of the few tall celebrity men, most are short), Salma Hayek, Mark Wahlberg, Kareem Abdul Jabbar (also tall ;) ), and Julie Andrews. And I lived in 90210, so I also bumped into a lot.

I'm not famous. I have former colleagues who are famous.

scriptkitten
10-19-2012, 11:42 AM
I've done a few things....
but in the spring i'll be dancing on an episode of a new HGTV home renovation show.

Famous people I've met include Eddie Vedder, members of Sonic Youth, Melissa Auf der Maur, Carmen Elektra, Rachel Zoe, Larry David, Lindsey Lohan, Ricky Goldin (soap star?).. there's more but I can't recall and people whom you'd recognize by sight but not by name... I dunno I'm not good at remembering this kind of thing because I am the opposite of starstruck, in general.

AnnieW625
10-19-2012, 11:59 AM

I'll play some more with information I forgot to add yesterday. I happened to be at Caesar's Tahoe in 1998 on the last day of the Lake Tahoe Pro Am, and stood across a small hall way that opened up into the bar from former NFL stars Marcus Allen, and Randy Cross. I was in the same elevator as Bill Walton, he is very tall, 6'10" at least.

I supposedly was sitting in front of Scott Baio at a restaurant in 1999 in Del Mar, and didn't realize it. My friend was the hostess and told me, and said he left when I got up to go to the bathroom. I never actually made eye contact with him.

I saw AC Cowlings (the driver of OJ's white bronco, and former USC star, and NFL player) at a USC game in 1993, so a few months after the incident.

I met former NFL quarterback Ken O'Brien (NY Jets, and Philadelphia Eagles) a few times, once when he was in college at a local college, and later in high school/college when he worked at a local tv station.

I knew the currently assemblyman from the Santa Clarita Valley when he was in college as well, he played football for a local college and my neighbors were friends with him.

In 1998 I asked John Wooden a question in an online chat on ESPN. I don't recall what the question was but I thought it was cool at the time.

I have met the Maloof Brothers, Joe and Gavin, owners of the Sacramento Kings, and the Palms Casino.

I went to the same high school as Dustin Pedroia, short stop for the Boston Red Sox. I am 5 or 6 yrs. older though, but have family friends who graduated the same year as he did. I knew one of his cousin, and his family owns a large agricultural transport company in my home town area.

I have friends who went to high school with Snoop Dogg, and Cameron Diaz. A co worker actually had friends who lived next to Cameron Diaz, and they said she was quite snooty and thought she could get away with everything when she was in 14-16 yrs. old. She ended up not graduating from the local high school, she did independent study. Same co worker's sister is a teacher and has taught Jesse James' daughter and co worker said that her sister has met Sandra Bullock as well because she was the gaurdian of James daughter.

99% sure I saw Sandra Bullock riding a West Coast Choppers motorcyle on the 22 freeway back in 2005. I have no proof really but it was definitely a WCC like bike, the woman had long brown hair and was wearing a West Coast Choppers jacket.

Way back in 1991 or 1992 I saw Andrew Shue at LAX.

elektra
10-19-2012, 12:32 PM
I'm an actor for a living, but I am not famous by any means, I only do commercials. I do know some famous people though :)

I've done a few things....
but in the spring i'll be dancing on an episode of a new HGTV home renovation show.

I have always wondered what you looked like lovebebes. :) I bet at least some of us would recognize you.

Scriptkitten that is awesome you are still dancing. I have a dancer friend in NYC and it just gets tougher and tougher for her as she gets older. I see her in the background of things here and there. :)

AnnieW625
10-19-2012, 12:36 PM
I have always wondered what you looked like lovebebes. :) I bet at least some of us would recognize you.

:yeahthat: Me too. I think we need another so cal meet up.

jbbhb
10-19-2012, 12:41 PM
:yeahthat: Me too. I think we need another so cal meet up.

:yeahthat: what happened to the moms night out we were going to have :54:

AnnieW625
10-19-2012, 12:48 PM
:yeahthat: what happened to the moms night out we were going to have :54:

I can't even plan a moms night for our first grade class. I am horrible at this type of thing. I completely forgot about that.

jbbhb
10-19-2012, 12:50 PM
I can't even plan a moms night for our first grade class. I am horrible at this type of thing. I completely forgot about that.

I'm the same. I actually forgot about it too until you mentioned doing another meet up :p

elektra
10-19-2012, 12:55 PM

I've met more celebrities than I can count. Off the top of my head: Ben Affleck (one of the few tall celebrity men, most are short), Salma Hayek, Mark Wahlberg, Kareem Abdul Jabbar (also tall ;) ), and Julie Andrews. And I lived in 90210, so I also bumped into a lot.

I'm not famous. I have former colleagues who are famous.

This is like me too, I am really not famous at all but I have met and seen a ton of real famous people. Maybe I am lame but I still get a little excited when I see people. :tongue5:
I rarely talk to anyone though- I never want to bother them. Although I have had a few chances and when I see 'em I take 'em!
Like when I was at a small holiday party at David Milch's house with the cast of NYPD Blue- I could not pass up my opportunity to talk to Ricky Schroeder, my first huge crush.
And then when I went to Dustin's Hoffman's son's bar mitzvah, I had to dance and hip bump Dustin.
And of course walking the red carpet at the Oscars was surreal.

My brother has so many stories too, way better than mine. One of my favorites was when he was sitting next to Cloris Leachman at a sushi bar and she talked him into putting a piece of sushi in his mouth and giving her a bite. So he did it and she tried to kiss him! Crazy old lady trying to sneak kisses from young men! :ROTFLMAO:

brittone2
10-19-2012, 12:58 PM
My brother has so many stories too, way better than mine. One of my favorites was when he was sitting next to Cloris Leachman at a sushi bar and she talked him into putting a piece of sushi in his mouth and giving her a bite. So he did it and she tried to kiss him! Crazy old lady trying to sneak kisses from young men! :ROTFLMAO:
:rotflmao:

scriptkitten
10-19-2012, 01:24 PM

Scriptkitten that is awesome you are still dancing. I have a dancer friend in NYC and it just gets tougher and tougher for her as she gets older. I see her in the background of things here and there. :)

I'm like 150 in dancer years :)

sntm
10-19-2012, 01:25 PM
I didn't even think of just people I've met.

Through my parents, I've met Pele, Corretta Scott King, Andy Williams, Dennis Rodman, a bunch of other musicians. Ashley Judd went to my high school but I missed her by one or two years.

I had a conversation with Dave Matthews at the local gelato place in Charlittesville. He was with his twins, and I noticed them first as they were wearing Naartje. :)

The comedian I dated is super close to Janeane Garafalo, and I was pissed he never introduced me to her (or Colin Firth, whom he interviewed on air.)

The folk artist P. Buckley Moss did a painting of me as a child.

A casual friend from college is an actress and has guest starred on a number of shows including Mad Men and modern family

lizzywednesday
10-19-2012, 01:28 PM
The comedian I dated is super close to Janeane Garafalo, and I was pissed he never introduced me to her (or Colin Firth, whom he interviewed on air.)

I would be conflicted.

On the one hand, I'd love to meet someone I like/admire, but the last time I did, I could barely speak - it was Erin Grey from the old Buck Rogers TV show.

There's just no non-creepy way to tell someone you wanted to be them when you grew up, is there?

On the other hand, I'd be incredibly jealous to not get to meet someone just because I thought I'd make an absolute fool of myself. I mean, Colin Firth???? *squee*

karstmama
10-19-2012, 01:33 PM
ooh, i almost forgot my hug from james patterson!

i was going into the mall, through the books-a-million entrance. i stepped off to the side to change from prescription sunglasses to regular prescription glasses, which had fogged in the ac, so i couldn't see. there was an employee at the door who asked if i was there for the signing, and i couldn't see anything but said 'no'. then someone gave me a one-armed hug and said, 'aw, c'mon, it'll be fun!' and it was him. ;)

sntm
10-19-2012, 01:36 PM
@lizzywednesday, it was the beginning of the end. My fault for dating someone who had an entire act about how much he sucked in his two marriages. :)

ilfaith
10-19-2012, 01:37 PM
A couple of other "famous" people I know...

Our next door neighbor in our Manhattan apartment was New York police commissioner (and later Los Angeles police chief) Bill Bratton (and his wife, Court TV's Rikki Klieman). We didn't get to know them much beyond exchanging hellos in the elevator or in the hall on the way to the garbage chute.

One of DH's best friends from high school is the nephew of former NY Governor Mario Cuomo, first cousin to current NY Governor Andrew Cuomo, and TV journalist Chris Cuomo. So we've met them at family functions like weddings and such.

I once exchanged embarrassing condom buying stories with actress Mariette Hartley (best known for her old Polaroid commercials with James Garner) at a Duane Reade drug store. She brought up the subject...not me.

I have a great picture of DS1 with Michael Imperiole (Christopher from the Sopranos) taken after DH struck up a conversation with the actor as both were pushing their sons on the swings in Central Park.

I chatted for a few minutes with Don Knotts at the baggage carousel at JFK (having shared a plane from Los Angeles...he had been up in first class...but I had a whole row to myself back in coach)

KLD313
10-19-2012, 01:42 PM
Like when I was at a small holiday party at David Milch's house with the cast of NYPD Blue- I could not pass up my opportunity to talk to Ricky Schroeder, my first huge crush.

I briefly went to school with Ricky Schroeder, he was in 6th grade while I was in 2nd. I remember him playing basketball by himself during recess. No one liked him. I don't remember why he was in CT though.

When I was a kid we stayed at the New York Hilton and tons of celebs were staying there for that show Night of a Hundred Stars. We saw Carol Burnett, Tom Selleck, Nell Carter, Morgan Brittany, Jaclyn Smith, Lynda Carter and a bunch of other 80's starts I can't think of right now.

I saw Diana Ross in Wendy's with her kids. I also saw Regis Philbin. They both lived in the town where I grew up.

Lee Mazzilli is my moms neighbor. She also had a famous hockey player living in her neighborhood but I forgot his name, he was really rude.

More recently, I was driving on the highway and a car almost hit me, it was Joan Rivers. Awful driver, really awful.

Our company did work for Christopher Plummer and I had to talk to him on the phone, he was so nice. We also did work for Eartha Kitt but I never spoke to her. Oh and I spoke on the phone to George Bush's grandmother. I was young and working at an office supply store where she had an account. She called and asked me if we had a cornflower blue binder, it had to be cornflower blue. So, she sent her driver to get it and then sent him right back to return it because I apparently don't know what cornflower blue is.

scrooks
10-19-2012, 01:57 PM
Wow! This thread is facinating. I am generally a very star struck person and am jealous of all these celebrity sitings/meetings!

FWIW...not famous at all here... I was in a local school levy campaign commercial when i was in the 3rd grade and I was in a couple of science text books (my mom used to work for a company that made text books). That is the extent of my fame...oh and I once saw Charles Barkley at nightclub.

mommylamb
10-19-2012, 02:05 PM
I'm not famous at all. I work in Ugly Hollywood (AKA Washington DC) so my brushes with fame are primarily politicians and others in the political sphere. I have a friend who is a talking head for the Cato Institute and is on TV all the time. The husband of a friend of mine was on Bill Maher a couple weeks ago, and is also a regular guest on the punditry shows. I've met a lot of politicians because of the work that I do.

KDsMommy
10-19-2012, 03:26 PM
I was a competetive figure skater as a kid and skated at the same rink with Kristi Yamaguchi. I also met Brian Boitano and Scott Hamilton.

Living in south Florida I've seen a few folks in Miami. Saw Rosie O'Donnel in a Cuban restaurant. Saw Dennis Rodman and Carmen Elektra at a Halloween party. Several Miami Heat players including James Jones go to our church.

cindys
10-19-2012, 03:28 PM
All I have...

I went to high school with Howie Long and when I first started with At&t my job was a messenger and I had to go to the Capital in DC to get documents to take to the Senate building...I would see very often Tip O'Neil who always greeted me by name.

Cindy
Mama to 3 boys...21, 6 & 4 :heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat:

maestramommy
10-19-2012, 03:29 PM
Okay, how I could I forget this?

The year I was engaged, I won a "breakfast with Mark and Kim" KOST 103.5 when they were hosting Jim Brickman. The winners got to meet Jim, and ask him questions, and we each won 2 free tickets to his Valentines date night concert. It was dinner and the concert with him playing a lot of his hits from Simple Things. I got to sit right next to his keyboard! Then Dh and I went to his concert. So much fun!

I was really sad when Kim got let go. Things just weren't the same on that station after they got acquired by Clear Channel.

Finally, I met Whoopie Goldberg once. She was passing out yogurt at a Revlon 5k one year. She's much shorter than I thought, but a damned attractive woman in person. She's the kind of look that will never age.

SnuggleBuggles
10-19-2012, 03:31 PM
I think it's like 6 degrees of Dennis Rodman here. The man has popped a lot on here!

AnnieW625
10-19-2012, 03:40 PM
I'll as another Dennis Rodman tod but here, a co worker's daughter in Sacramento went to the same Catholic high school as one of Rodman's daughters. She must be in her early 20s by now.

zukeypur
10-19-2012, 03:44 PM
I'm not famous at all. I work in Ugly Hollywood (AKA Washington DC) so my brushes with fame are primarily politicians and others in the political sphere. I have a friend who is a talking head for the Cato Institute and is on TV all the time. The husband of a friend of mine was on Bill Maher a couple weeks ago, and is also a regular guest on the punditry shows. I've met a lot of politicians because of the work that I do.

Who was it? I love Bill Maher.

AnnieW625
10-19-2012, 04:20 PM
Maestra, Kim of Mark and Kim is now on the Wave's morning show. I stopped listening to KOST a few years back when they started Christmas music in mid October. I always forget about it, but listened to it a lot when I was in college and I the LA area.

Kindra178
10-19-2012, 05:36 PM
I have fairly well known actors in my family. Personally, I was interviewed on numerous local news shows when my sister's dog tragically died.

JamiMac
10-19-2012, 05:48 PM
Who was it? I love Bill Maher.

Really, I'm curious why some people like him so much? I promise, I'm not calling you out or anything, just genuinely curious.

My DH and I were at a resort last year in Nevis and got to know the crew that ran a snorkel/catamaran company for the Four Seasons. We were talking to them about celebrities because they mentioned that they had met so many people through doing this. They said that far and beyond, he was the rudest, most hateful celebrity that they had encountered. They said he treated them like dirt and made obvious racial slurs to and about them. The crew was an all black/Caribbean team and they were so, so nice that I couldn't imagine why someone would treat them so poorly. They also said that other hotel staff had complained about him too because he had stayed there frequently. They told us that most everyone else had always been nice and courteous to them. I've heard other stories of the same ilk about him before, so I'm was just curious what the draw is to him.

roobee
10-19-2012, 06:02 PM
When I was 20 I worked at a really nice apartment building in town and met some interesting people. I worked with the guy who discovered Josh Harnett, and a different guy who was an agent for Briana Scurry (US woman's soccer). At the same time I worked with a woman who was dating Jonny Lang's dad, and she had previously dated Bruce Willis - she was even in a Seagram's commercial with him.

I've met several MN Timberwolves and Steve Guttenburg.

My neighbor growing up is newly a step-brother to Ethan Erickson.

All my stuff is second-hand :)

MichelleRC
10-19-2012, 06:27 PM
ooh, I thought of a few more.

When I had My Little Ducks, I was at a buying show and met Martin Sheen. He had put up the money for a clothing line started by---, let me try to get this right--I think the mother of one of Charlie's kids. I was carrying the line. He was very nice and was appreciative of the business.

Way before that, I worked at a fancy schmancy resort and got to meet Wolf Blitzer, Jason Alexander, Regis & Joy Philbin, Chris Evert and the author of Forrest Gump among others.

karstmama
10-19-2012, 07:46 PM
ooh, i thought of another, too!

ok, billy zabka...the blond mean kid in 'karate kid'? my cousin got married at my house (because it's on the water) 25 or so years ago, and her hubby's sister was dating billy so he came to the wedding at my house. he looked like he did in the movie, but i don't remember much about him so he must have been quiet and well behaved.

EllasMum
10-19-2012, 09:02 PM
I want to play!

A few months ago, I was interviewed by two different networks, at the same time, after a massive hail storm blocked roads in our community. I was in the first few minutes of both stations' 11pm newscasts. A week or so later, I was in line at Wal-mart and the customer behind me was grinning very widely at me and then said, excitedly, "Didn't I see you on tv?? The hail?? Nice to meet you!" I was very amused.:wink2:

My cousin took a year off after his undergrad degree to take guitar lessons from Eddie Van Halen. Cousin's younger brother moved out to New York, that same year, and ended up at a party with Al Pacino's daughter.

At university, my sister was very close friends with a guy who later became mayor of our city. I met him back at university and a handful of occasions since. Not since he became mayor, though.

My cousin recently published a public speaking 'how-to' book and is getting a lot of buzz (in those circles). Cousin's younger brother spent about the last 7 years developing, and obtaining funding (think millions) for a film which is now in production.

Hmm, what else... My father was very well known in his educational field - maybe one of the top few in the area. His articles are still regularly used in university classes on the subject.

For the Canadians out there, my family met Jackson Davies :canada: while on vacation on Vancouver Island. My mom saw him and did the, "DO YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE???" thing which of course embarrassed us kids all to heck. He was super good about it and offered to take a family picture for us. [mom2binsd I am dying to know whose brother you dated - I was a hockey fan off and on for a number of years ;)]

One last one - one of my brother's closest friends is a world famous (forgive me if I get this wrong) muy thai (kickboxing) athlete. Around here, he is super well known if you are 'in the know' about such things, but apparently in Thailand he is a major superstar and has billboards with him on them all over place. I know him fairly well and he is a super nice guy.

Ooh! OK I thought of another one. Another of my brother's friends moved down to LA about 10 years ago and became a fairly famous DJ. He is in demand for celebrity parties and has basically met everyone there is to meet. He started off as an actor and was hit on by Kevin Spacey.

Just to come back to the original point, I am not famous, but did have 15 minutes of fame.

todzwife
10-19-2012, 09:14 PM
I sang the National Anthem solo when I was 18 for the Arizona Diamondbacks. I had a voice instructor who wanted to take me to Broadway when I graduated, but he passed away in a tragic car accident...

I went to college and got married instead of Broadway.

TxCat
10-19-2012, 09:33 PM
I like his writing; he wrote the "Dad Again" series in Slate after his 2nd daughter was born ... and he did a few columns after his son was born:

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/dad_again/2007/01/dad_again_again.html

I bought his collected fatherhood essays for DH as a first Father's Day gift, but I don't think DH read them. Sad, really, because I think he would have related.

I think he's a great writer. I got that book on fatherhood for DH as a first Father's Day gift too - he did read it (it's a pretty quick read) and really enjoyed it, although it seemed to reinforce a lot of his early negative impressions of parenthood, which was not my intention!

I went to college with, and met, Fred Savage, Reese Witherspoon, Tiger Woods and Chelsea Clinton. In elementary school, I went to school with the whole Phoenix clan - all of River Phoenix's brothers and sisters - this was the year that Stand By Me came out. Joaquin used to go by "Leaf" and I remember that he wrote on the school newspaper. He was kind of a nerdy/normal kid. The younger sisters (Summer, Liberty) were super popular and everyone wanted to be friends with them.

StantonHyde
10-19-2012, 09:45 PM
I got recognized by the deli lady in the grocery store because the news interviewed me because the fire department was using our backyard to practice "wildland interface" fire management. It was great--we had fire trucks in front of our house and fire fighters "busting" into our back yard all day--the kids loved it. Fortunately, the dog was old enough that he slept through it!

speo
10-19-2012, 09:55 PM
I briefly went to school with Ricky Schroeder, he was in 6th grade while I was in 2nd. I remember him playing basketball by himself during recess. No one liked him. I don't remember why he was in CT though.

Funny. DH went to high school with him in CA. He lived just a couple doors down. I think DH partied a couple times with him. Otherwise, know one really liked him and he was a loner. I guess people would tease him and call him "The Ricker." He finished Silver Spoons at the beginning of HS. The show was largely seen as uncool by the HS students.

maestramommy
10-19-2012, 10:06 PM
I went to college with, and met, Fred Savage, Reese Witherspoon, Tiger Woods and Chelsea Clinton. In elementary school, I went to school with the whole Phoenix clan - all of River Phoenix's brothers and sisters - this was the year that Stand By Me came out. Joaquin used to go by "Leaf" and I remember that he wrote on the school newspaper. He was kind of a nerdy/normal kid. The younger sisters (Summer, Liberty) were super popular and everyone wanted to be friends with them.

This reminds me that when I was a teacher Haley Joel Osment went to a school that was in the same "network" as mine. I had to chaperone a MS dance, and he showed up. It was HILARIOUS because my students were totally stalking him, and at one point we had to tell them to knock it off because for pete's sake he's here to have fun with his friends, just like you. I remember clearly that he seemed young because he was fully a head shorter than all of his friends, even the female ones. Cute kid, seemed nice/normal.

maestramommy
10-19-2012, 10:08 PM
I want to play!

Ooh! OK I thought of another one. Another of my brother's friends moved down to LA about 10 years ago and became a fairly famous DJ. He is in demand for celebrity parties and has basically met everyone there is to meet. He started off as an actor and was hit on by Kevin Spacey.

Is Kevin Spacey gay?? Did not know that!

randomkid
10-19-2012, 10:09 PM
My only claim to fame was being a regular model for ads and other publications for the hospital I work for. We even had one of our photos that I was in stolen and used by another company. This was many years ago when we were much smaller. DH was also a regular. Why, you ask? The hospital photographer is one of DH's closest friends and he had to find his own models - lol! Now, they use professional models and any of the other thousands of employees working for the organization. He has people in his office now that arrange all that for him.

I was also in our local paper when I won a contest through The Apprentice. I wrote a letter about my favorite charity and The Apprentice along with Ace Hardware spent a weekend cleaning up the place, giving them tons of supplies and $10K cask. They ended up getting a lot more than I won for them because local Ace owners heard about it and brought tons of stuff. They were only supposed to get $5K, but ended up with 10. Bill Rancic was part of this and spent the entire weekend there with us helping clean up and repair the home.

DH is in Mark McEwen's book Change in the Weather about his stroke and recovery. We've been to a party at his home and we were invited to another party, but couldn't make it. He sent us Christmas cards for a couple of years, but we've since dropped of his list.

I went to high school with a guy who was the catcher for the Cincinnati Reds and drove a player in for the winning run for the 1990 World Series. He used to serve me fruit punch in the cafeteria in high school

Went to college with and knew through work - Michelle Akers who was on the 1996 Women's Soccer Team that won the gold medal at the Olympics. I have a Polaroid picture of me with her and I'm holding her gold medal. That was a really exciting time for us at work!

Other than that, DD and I went to a Victorious concert (Victoria Justice anyone?) this past Summer at a local theme park. The mom of DD's friend is a senior VP at the park and we watched the concert from the VIP section and DD got to meet the whole cast and get a picture with them. DD made a card for Victoria that said "Victoria, You Rock!" and drew a picture of herself with Victoria. She gave it to her when they met the cast and Victoria loved it. It was so cute! That is probably my favorite brush with fame story : )

joules
10-19-2012, 10:31 PM
I just remembered something else. I went to school with one of the main characters in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. I went bowling with him once too. We were in a group and he was mostly talking to his then gf. He wasn't famous yet but was just starting in some soap operas.

I also ran into the other main character in CTHD in Vegas at the Orleans. He was there bowling with friends. We got a picture with him and he had his arm around my waist....but my mom lost the film (if only they had digital cameras back then!).

DH's best friend's daughter has soccer or something with one of David Beckham's kids (?). The friend was standing next to him. I have volunteered to bring his daughter to soccer practice.

melrose7
10-19-2012, 10:49 PM
Thought of one more

My grandfather went to school and was friends with Liberace. There were many interesting stories we got to hear.

ArizonaGirl
10-19-2012, 11:53 PM
DH played in the 1996 Little League World Series. Also of note Joe DiMaggio Jr. is my husband's 2nd cousin.

That's all for me (pretty boring, I know).

solsister
10-20-2012, 12:13 AM
A lot, a lot. Musicians, actors, and then, the larger than life peeps.

I've hung out with O (a few times), spoken with George C., had a few drinks with Sheryl C row, sat next to Penny Marshall at a small, round dinner table, left an accidental message on Q uen tin T arran tino's answering machine, almost costing my friend her job! And many, many more.

I used to work in the film industry, as well as, I am a celebrity magnet.

The best part is that I think that I know them, and just talk to them like we are friends. I think it must startle them, so they let their guard down, or something. It cracks up my friends and husband. I live far away from the hustle and bustle of Tinsel Town, but still see celebs in strange places. My husband says, " I see celebrities", like the "i see dead people" quote.

I am star struck, and it makes me smile to see some of them, I'll admit it.

LexyLou
10-20-2012, 02:19 AM
I had a run in with Keifer Sutherland in San Luis Obispo in 1999. So this was before his 24 fame when he was just a washed up drunk actor.

My husband (BF at the time) was in the bathroom at SLO Brew. It's a one person bathroom. I was waiting outside and he drunkly stumbled up and asked if anyone was in there.

I said, yes, my boyfriend is.

He said, "That's cool. I'll just piss in the sink."

And that's what he did.

DH came out and was like, so Keifer Sutherland is pissing in the sink....

My brother's ex-FIL is the keyboardist in David Bowie. I was living in London in 1998 when he (FIL, not David Bowie) toured with Smashing Pumpkins and got to go backstage and meet them all.

I was in Fitness Magazine in 2009.

Besides that, I'm just a mom in a suburb of San Francisco.

brgnmom
10-20-2012, 02:55 AM
I've just crossed paths with famous people - in the political realm and in the Hollywood sense.

I've met the Clintons IRL and went to school with Chelsea. Her ex (who interned at the WH) was in one of my seminars and she sometimes waited for him outside towards the end of class. We also had a similar workout schedule, and lived in the same building at one point. She's a sweet person, and I remember her offering to help carry my meal tray when I was on crutches after a knee injury.

I knew the Smallville chic's (Lana's) cousin IRL during grad school. I've also had chance encounters with celebs when we lived in LA not too long ago.

Back to the political realm, dh interviewed one of Romney's sons a few years ago, and dh had a positive impression of him.

luli13
10-20-2012, 08:10 AM
Famous people I've met include Eddie Vedder, .

Oh my, I'm so jealous. :bowdown: is he soft spoken and so cool? I would not be able to utter a word.

mctlaw
10-20-2012, 08:33 AM
I had a run in with Keifer Sutherland in San Luis Obispo in 1999. So this was before his 24 fame when he was just a washed up drunk actor.

My husband (BF at the time) was in the bathroom at SLO Brew. It's a one person bathroom. I was waiting outside and he drunkly stumbled up and asked if anyone was in there.

And that's what he did.

Awesome...
You must be very fit though! I'm always wondering how those reader models got that way.

I'm a relative by marriage to the actor who played Flounder on Animal House. Other than a few sightings, that's about it.

scriptkitten
10-20-2012, 08:45 AM
Oh my, I'm so jealous. :bowdown: is he soft spoken and so cool? I would not be able to utter a word.

He is very soft spoken but I was mostly surprised at how short he is. He is a very small dude

maylips
10-20-2012, 08:49 AM
I introduced President Clinton at an event once.

And my DH is a former pro baseball player, so we have a lot of friends in that field.

Was also at a restaurant in Memphis when David Geist, Liza Minnelli's weird XH, sat next to us with the guy who played Robert Scorpio on General Hospital. David stopped me as we were leaving to tell me that I was beautiful. No way is that dude straight but he did help my ego. :)

And Cindy Crawford and her husband were at the same Wicked Broadway show as I was, once. Holy cow, that is one beautiful couple.

Corie
10-20-2012, 09:07 AM
When I was little, my cousin and I were on the "Uncle Al Show".

And my kids were on TV when we lived in Rhode Island. You can
see my kids on a "Quick Bites" segment with Joe Zito, the TV Maitre d'.

Also, my Dad used to model back in the day. He did some TV commercials
for several big name companies.
I've tried to track down copies of the commercials online but I haven't had
any luck.

elektra
10-20-2012, 12:43 PM

And that's what he did.

My brother's ex-FIL is the keyboardist in David Bowie. I was living in London in 1998 when he (FIL, not David Bowie) toured with Smashing Pumpkins and got to go backstage and meet them all.

I was in Fitness Magazine in 2009.

Besides that, I'm just a mom in a suburb of San Francisco.

Lexylou, I remember your fitness magazine spread. That was so cool!

And too funny about Kiefer Sutherland!

ilfaith
10-20-2012, 01:40 PM
My picture (with a maniacal grin and a hair net) was featured in the pages of Cracked Magazine (a humor magazine, similar to Mad). I worked for another magazine from the same publisher, and they needed a "model" to pose as a crazy lunch lady for a spread they were doing. I had a few friends at Cracked so they called me to come down the hall to their offices. I have a copy of the magazine somewhere, but it was not the sort of picture where I would buy up a bunch of copies to send to family and friends.

kbud
10-20-2012, 02:19 PM
He is very soft spoken but I was mostly surprised at how short he is. He is a very small dude

Would love to meet him as well. I posted in my pp about how big fans we are of PJ and being in the fan club forever. I fell like I know him already. My dh has been to over 20 concerts and me about 8. Since we are usually in the first few rows we make eye contact and exchange gestures with the guys. I watched his daughter dance like crazy in her princess dress on the side of the stage on her birthday during one show. We arrived early to a show once (dh makes us do this since Eddie often comes out early) and Eddie came on stage with his guitar. There were less than a hundred people in the venue then. We were in the first row and he played Dead Man Walking and chatted with the few of us there. He is just so down to earth, very humble and truly is grateful for his fans.

Smillow
10-20-2012, 04:17 PM
maylips post reminded me that I once sat across the aisle and 4 seats away from Meryl Streep @ a Broadway play. 2 seats away was Leslie Stahl.

I once had dinner with the writer whose book signing I went to. It was Peter Jenkins of A Walk Across America (his reading was for another book).

I have seen Katie Couric on the Downtown Mall in Charlottesville. And I saw Willard Scott in the hardware store in my small town.

I saw Robert Hays (from Airplane) in a mall in Jupiter, FL - he asked me if I knew where the record store was.

I met Don Henley at a book signing and the guy who wrote the Everything I Learned in Kindergarten essay.

I shook President Ford's hand when I was a Brownie Scout & he paraded through our town.

My DH was an extra in Broadcast News. He sees famous people all the time. At least he tells me he does. Most of them I wouldn't know on sight anyway!

Globetrotter
10-20-2012, 04:25 PM
I was on the lecture committee at my college so I met some famous dignitaries that way. During the democratic primaries a few years ago:D, I met and spoke to Dukakis, bumped into Jesse Jackson (literally) and of course was a few feet away from Al Gore and the others.

I saw Jane Fonda at SFO once.

My great grandfather was a famous doctor (in his region).
When I was a kid, we met a very famous Indian actor - can't remember his name but I have seen him in movies - in the neighboring train compartment, back when everyone traveled by train! My parents were so excited :rotflmao: and we got a bunch of pictures. I also saw a famous Indian actress in a department store in India, but I had no idea until my cousin told me so that hardly counts.

Otherwise.. dd has modeled for a few things. There must be others but I can't remember..

I am jealous of the S. Cal. folks - we go there all the time and i have YET to see a single celebrity!!!

Green_Tea
10-20-2012, 04:44 PM
Not famous, but my wedding was featured in a local bridal magazine. And when I was in high school I wrote an editorial in defense of teachers, and the teacher's union used my picture in a bunch of ads at election time. I also did a little bit of voiceover work, so if you lived in New England in the 90s, you might have heard me on the radio :).

I went to college in NYC and then worked for a credit union that had a ton of celebrity members, so I've met lots of famous people.

Green_Tea
10-20-2012, 04:47 PM

Oh! I have a good friend who was on The Real World! Maybe you're friends?

Globetrotter
10-20-2012, 05:03 PM
Oh, I forgot about me! I'm certainly not famous but I have been interviewed for the local news a few times for my job and have published articles, and a program I headed in college was featured in the college alumni magazine. I also got into the local paper when I met Dukakis.

elliput
10-20-2012, 06:51 PM
The talk of famous people we have bumped into reminded me of this-

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-zY6NJmp_0hY/TGDSgcNfYxI/AAAAAAAAAEI/l-NDrbslJVw/s400/Moira%2520and%2520Temple.jpg

Yes, that is Temple Grandin sitting next to my DD. We met her at a book signing a two years ago.

c914
10-20-2012, 08:33 PM
I've got nothin' personally

but my Uncle (who spent 30 years as a mission Priest in Peru) knew Mother Teresa from her visits to Lima......my Grandmother (now deceased) received a rosary from her. My Aunt now has it.

Pennylane
10-20-2012, 10:44 PM
The talk of famous people we have bumped into reminded me of this-

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-zY6NJmp_0hY/TGDSgcNfYxI/AAAAAAAAAEI/l-NDrbslJVw/s400/Moira%2520and%2520Temple.jpg

Yes, that is Temple Grandin sitting next to my DD. We met her at a book signing a two years ago.

I totally thought that was a man :)

Ann