PDA

View Full Version : iPod touch advice

lablover
10-18-2012, 02:26 PM
We have decided to get DS and iPod touch for his 9th birthday next week. He never asks for anything for birthdays and Christmas, it is always "whatever you want to get me", and this time it is all he is asking for(well, he also put iPad and iPhone....) so I am breaking down and getting the 4th generation iPod touch. DH had an old touch, probably 2G?, that bit the dust 6 months ago, DH and I have iPhones and I have an iPad so we are quite familiar with apple products. But I still can't decide what size to get DS. I can get:

refurbished 8gb - $149
new 16gb - $199 (or $189 if I get from Target and use RedCard)
refurbished 32gb - $209

I am thinking I should go bigger than 8gb because I want this to last a looonnng time. I was going to go with 16gb but then the 32gb is not that much more. But if 16gb is sufficient I would stick with that. He would use it mostly for games although he will probably fool around with the camera. He isn't that into music but I can see him accumulating songs over time.

I plan on locking safari. He only uses the internet for sports related information so I plan on putting sports apps on there so he can access scores. I will also lock app purchases and through my searching on here I saw there is something called Gube that can replace youtube, if I feel the need to put something on there. Is there anything else I should be aware of in terms of controls?

I am also going to get an otterbox defender.

wellyes
10-18-2012, 02:58 PM
For $209 I'd get the refurb for sure. Especially if it is directly from Apple.
16 is probably enough but with 32 he could have the option to put on a ton of music and/or a few movies.

JElaineB
10-18-2012, 03:16 PM
For $209 I'd get the refurb for sure. Especially if it is directly from Apple.
16 is probably enough but with 32 he could have the option to put on a ton of music and/or a few movies.

I agree, especially if you want it to last a long time.

egoldber
10-18-2012, 03:20 PM
I agree that at those prices I would go with the refurb.

ETA: Just FYI it can take awhile to get the refurbs. My iPad was a refurb and it took 3 weeks.

lablover
10-18-2012, 03:40 PM
Thanks, I just ordered the 32gb refurb. Estimated delivery is his birthday or the day after...fingers crossed!