PDA

View Full Version : Baby Life Vest

psimpson3-5
10-18-2012, 04:38 PM
Over the week of Thanksgiving, we are traveling to visit my husband's extended family in FL. DH's father has rented a large boat. Does anyone have a suggestion for a life vest for a baby? DS will be 7 months old.

AnnieW625
10-18-2012, 04:41 PM
My DDs used one of these from about 3 months old until they outgrew the weight limit, so about 25-30lbs iirc, and 2 yrs. old . We got ours at Target.
http://www.stearnsflotation.com/Infant-Classic-Series-Life-Vest-P1847.aspx

Momit
10-18-2012, 04:42 PM
My Target had an infant one on clearance. I believe it was made by Stearns.

ETA it looked very much like the one Annie linked to, with the large part behind the head

kaharris83
10-18-2012, 04:44 PM
Our Targets have them for 70% off right now. That's where we got the one we used for DS1 when he was little.

BayGirl2
10-18-2012, 04:47 PM
As long as it is coast guard certified, it should be safe. Make sure you get the correct size, Infant goes up to 30 lbs (IIRC), Child is 30-50(?), and then there are adult sizes. An infant one should have a crotch strap and head cushion like the one posted above, since a baby needs more support.

Get one that's easy enough to get on/off and comfortable enough that you will keep it on them all.the.time. I grew up around boats and they are generally very safe for kids, but better to err on the side of caution, I have seen adults fall overboard. A good life preserver makes all the difference.

We found ours on sale at a local sporting goods store for like $20 in the off season.

trcy
10-19-2012, 09:58 AM
I found one at Wal-Mart.

3blackcats
10-19-2012, 09:23 PM
I think they are rated for small lakes/rivers versus the ocean. So, if you are going to the ocean you'll need an ocean certified jacket. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

abh5e8
10-19-2012, 11:53 PM
yes, all coast guard certified life jackets are type I, II, III, IV or V. this site

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/cg5214/pfdselection.asp

explains the types. if the boating is near shore, type II would be fine. type I is only for off-shore (ocean), very rough waters, etc (ie. cruise ship evacuations).

every PFD will also list the type it is. make sure you have the right size, infant, up to 30 lbs.

the link above does not say it has to be ocean specific, its based on how quickly help could come, so near shore ocean would be comparable to a small (ish) lake.