PDA

View Full Version : References calling back

Twoboos
10-18-2012, 08:56 PM
Let's say you had work done on your house by a company, major renovation stuff (kitchen, bath, addition). You said they could use your name as a reference. Company gives list of references to potential new clients.

A person calls you. How long before you call back?

I called 4 people yesterday morning, left my phone and email (in case they don't want to call) and nothin'. I might try others on the list tomorrow. I need to make some very expensive commitments here, people!

I know this sounds like a bitch but I'm actually wondering.

Twoboos
10-23-2012, 03:47 PM
I should officially move this to bitching. NO ONE has called back. I guess I should just drop a bazillion dollars on faith. sigh.

wellyes
10-23-2012, 03:58 PM
I think it was a lot easier in the days when we had answering machines. I find voicemails days later now sometimes. Sorry that you're stuck waiting!

It IS possible that the references are going by the "if you have nothing nice to say...." principle. But, just as likely they saw a number on caller ID they didn't know and ignored it. Maybe you'd be better off finding them on facebook!

HannaAddict
10-23-2012, 04:04 PM
People are busy. I wouldn't necessarily rush to return a call from a stranger about a past remodel. I'm busy, not on the phone all day. An email would be easier to respond to at night once kids are in bed. And I once didn't return a call promptly to someone asking for a reference as we were out of town. A day is not even close to enough time, you are in a hurry, this isn't their emergency or priority. If it have t heard by end of the week, let the contractor know. Or call and leave your email address too.

SnuggleBuggles
10-23-2012, 04:25 PM
I would just join Angie's List. You're likely to get a more well rounded review vs their references too.

Twoboos
10-24-2012, 10:05 AM
I wasn't given any emails, only phone numbers. In the messages I left my phone and email in case they wanted to respond that way instead of calling. It's been 6 days now. There are no reviews on Angie's List - which I find wacky, but there aren't any. (This isn't a brand new company, they have been around for at least 5 years.)

Plus, I'm sure the company asked if they were willing to be a reference. If you agree to that, I would think you'd be willing to talk to someone who calls. If you aren't, don't be a reference.

JustMe
10-24-2012, 10:09 AM
I think I would also try calling each one again if you haven't already done that. They just may need that push, it may have fallen off their radar, etc.

TwoBees
10-24-2012, 11:23 AM
I think it was a lot easier in the days when we had answering machines. I find voicemails days later now sometimes.

:yeahthat:
Since I don't use my home phone all that often, I don't always see the little tiny blinking light alerting me to voicemail. I was once called for a reference and found the voice mail a week later (in this case though, DH had listened to the message and forgot to tell me about it, so it wasn't even marked as a waiting message!). I'd call each reference back one more time. If they still don't get back to you, I'd let it go. It sucks though!

BabbyO
10-24-2012, 12:00 PM
I think people are seeing your phone # and not answering because they don't recognize it. I'd try calling again. In addition, I'd contact the contractor and let them know that their references are not returning calls. Perhaps they can supply some other names.