PDA

View Full Version : Need help choosing new seats for Odyssey and Sienna

suomi777
10-19-2012, 12:10 AM
We have a 2007 Odyssey and 2010 Sienna. I need to move my 2 YO from a Snug Ride 32 to a RF convertible seat. I already own a Roundabout she is using in the Sienna, but could purchase a new one for either car.

In the Odyssey, I have 2 Radians FF for DS and DD1 in the second row drivers side and plus one seat. DS is about 48" and 45 lbs., 7 yo. DD1 is almost 5 yo, 43" and 38 lbs. I don't know DD2's stats, she is overdue for her checkup (we moved and everything got behind). I think she is 22 lbs and probably 30". She just turned 2 in August. She will be in the passenger 2nd row seat in the Odyssey.

My biggest concerns with her RF seat is that it not cause the front passenger to have to slide the seat up. So not interested in RF Marathon, Radian or the like.

In the Sienna, DS rides in the 3rd row in a Graco Turbobooster. The kids rarely ride in this car, once a week during soccer season is about the max. DD1 is 2nd row in a Marathon FF and DD2 is currently FF in the Roundabout in the passenger 2nd row. DH can only successfully install seats FF, so when we needed a seat in the Sienna he did that FF since his RF installs are terrible. He thinks I am crazy nuts about car seats, and if any of the seats inconvenience the front row passenger I am sure he will flip them around.

So, should the Roundabout be shelved for RF, will it make the front row passenger have to slide forward too much? Or will it work better in one vehicle versus the other?

Also, we were planning to purchase another Graco Turbobooster. Is it still a decent inexpensive booster? Or should I buy something else.

Thank you!

Brandy
suomi is online now Add to suomi's Reputation Report Post [Pin It]

legaleagle
10-19-2012, 12:21 AM
My biggest concerns with her RF seat is that it not cause the front passenger to have to slide the seat up. So not interested in RF Marathon, Radian or the like.

Have you tried the new generation britax (marathon 70, etc) or the radian angle adjuster? Both of those are absolutely tiny front-to-back. Plenty of other great choices, but if you're familiar with radian/britax and want to stick with them, those are both great choices, esp with such a petite toddler.

I don't know anything about your vehicles in particular though.

stillplayswithbarbies
10-19-2012, 01:25 AM
the angle adjuster added to the rear-facing Radian will solve the problem with the front seat. It makes it sit upright more so it doesn't take up so much room front to back.

I got mine on Amazon.

belovedgandp
10-19-2012, 09:53 AM
I've done a Marathon and a Radian in a 2007 Odyssey. With the 2nd row passenger side captains chair moved over to create the aisle for the third row. With the Marathon the front row passenger seat is moved up one or two "clicks" with the Radian being narrower and taller and moved towards the center I think the passenger seat can be all the way back.

I haven't tried for a while that Marathon has been in there without a reason to move for months now. I'm not familiar enough with other seats to compare.

Joolsplus2
10-19-2012, 09:54 AM
Turbo is still an ok choice. There's also the Safety Surround model, with deeper head and side wings, or the Affix, that LATCHes in. Or since the Turbo is one of the shortest, shallowest seats, you might want to look at something taller and deeper like the Parkway or Monterey.

suomi777
10-28-2012, 11:42 PM
OK, I don't think I am explaining my plans very well. The Odyssey is the primary car. I have DS in a Radian in the 2nd row driver's side, DD1 in the middle in a Radian, and DD2 RF in a Snug Ride 32. In the third row I have two Graco Turboboosters that I use for carpooling. When I drive the carpool, DS sits in one Turbobooster and the other 7 YO little boy that rides with us rides in the other Turbobooster.

In the Sienna, we take one of the Turboboosters out of the Odyssey for DS to ride in, and we have a Roundabout 2nd row passenger FF for DD2 and a Marathon driver's side FF for DD1 2nd row.

I definitely need a new seat for DD2 in the Odyssey. I also need another booster because pulling one Turbobooster from car to car is not working for us.

I have several questions that I didn't explain in my original post. First of all, my understanding is that it is better for kids to be harnessed as long as possible. Unfortunately, when dealing with the 2nd grade culture of kids not riding in seats at all, riding in the front seat, etc., a booster is the coolest seat a kid can have if his parents make him ride in one. So, at least for carpooling, I will let my kiddo ride in a booster. Should I just let him ride in a booster all the time? Or is the additional safety from a harnessed Radian worth the horrible fight and whining from my son every time I make him ride in it (which would be all the time except for carpooling).
For DD2 in the Odyssey, should I bring the roundabout over from the Sienna? Or is there something much safer that I should buy for her since it's her primary seat? If I use the Roundabout in the Odyssey, I do have a Cosco Scenera I could use for her in the Sienna. I do plan to have her seats installed RF in both cars, but my older kiddos are FF.

Thanks for your advice. I hope this makes sense!

Brandy

legaleagle
10-28-2012, 11:48 PM
I would definitely let your 7 year old ride in a booster if he wants! I believe there is no statistical safety difference after a certain age (provided he's a good booster rider, of course).