PDA

View Full Version : Post partum depression medication question

momm
10-19-2012, 07:30 AM
Has anyone here been on medication for post partum depression? Did you have a history of depression to be prescribed medication?

Were you breastfeeding?

Did it help at all?

How long did you take it?

Was it tough to get off the medication after your dosage was done?

I've never taken, or known anyone who took these.. hence the questions. I'll be asking for these after delivery, so want to be prepared. (reason is pre-partum depression that I'm currently struggling with. Also bad PPD with DS1, which I never got treated and really suffered)

I'll also add an anonymous poll for those who don't want to reveal usernames while answering! thanks so much for the help!!

hopeful_mama
10-19-2012, 11:35 AM
I had bad prenatal depression too - I was put on Pamelor, a tricyclic, this is what my MFM was most comfortable with but I think lots of OBs just reach for the SSRIs (zoloft, paxil, prozac, etc). I think part of her reasoning was that it acts more quickly than the SSRIs, which I really needed, it got very bad very quickly and I could not have waited weeks for an SSRI to (maybe) kick in. I don't recall any side effects other than being more tired, which was good for me as I needed help with sleep anyway.

My depression completely disappeared the day DD was born, and I hope the same for you! I did however end up staying on the meds for a long time. When I tried stopping them, I stopped sleeping. Combined with the exhaustion from having a little one and underlying health issues, my health really started deteriorating so my GP agreed that I should stay on it for awhile, eventually he gave me a scrip where I could take 1-5 pills of the lowest dosage as needed, and it was up to me when to taper down, so I could wait for the right timing for me (it was several months). It had absolutely no discernable effect on breastfeeding for me, and none of my drs, including the ped, were concerned about me breastfeeding while on it.

MamaMolly
10-19-2012, 11:40 AM
PMing you! :grouphug:

KDsMommy
10-19-2012, 02:31 PM
I have a history of depression. I was OK without meds while I was pregnant, but as soon as DS was born I was hit HARD with PPD. My OB tried Prozac and when that didn't work he sent me to a psychiatrist who prescribed Effexor. By that time I was no longer BFing. I do know there are several anti-depressants that are safe to use while BFing.

I still suffer from major depression and am still on meds. Getting on meds was the best thing I could have done for me and my baby. A happy mama (or at least not depressed) is a happy baby.

Good luck OP, you need to do what's best for you and your baby.

Kymberley
10-19-2012, 02:34 PM
I was put on meds at my 6 week followup appt. I'm not sure if I had PPD, but there were a lot of things going on at home that I just couldn't handle on top of being the only caregiver for DS. I BF DS for 18 months, most of those with depression meds. I didn't stop the meds until things improved with our home situation. I had no problems going off the meds.

jerigirl
10-19-2012, 04:15 PM
I was put on Lexapro afer DS1 and am still on it. During that time I was pregnant with DS2 and then delivered and breastfed him for 18 mo. My OB and I thought that was the best course of action for me and DS2 (and the rest of my family).

Mommy_Mea
10-19-2012, 09:03 PM
I have a history of anxiety/depression, but hadn't been on meds for many years prior to having kids. I was totally fine through my pregnancy with DS1, but was hit hard with PPD (I actually call it post partum anxiety, because it was horrible, horrible anxiety) right after birth.

10 days after having DS1, DH finally convinced me it wasn't just sleep deprivation, and I needed help. While Zoloft (I think?) is the "typical" antidepressant for PPD while breastfeeding, I went on Welbutrin. I had taken Welbutrin previously for my anxiety, and it had worked well. My OB and I decided that it was best to get me on something that I knew worked well, to hopefully get me some fast relief, because I was barely functioning.

It took about a week to kick in, and it slowly helped. I continued to BF DS1 successfully (my initial struggles with BFing had more to do with a bad latch than the anxiety) for his first year. After about a month on meds, I started to feel "normal" again, and I forgot to take it a few times, and slowly took myself off of it. I didn't want to risk being on it if I was feeling fine with BFing, just in case.

No PPD with DS2, practically the opposite. I was on an awesome high after having him, all those good hormones. :)

StantonHyde
10-19-2012, 09:55 PM
I had been taking 100 mg Zoloft for 4 years for pre-existing depression. When I wanted to get pg, I dropped to 50 mg. Got pg, had DS a month early and he NEVER slept. I need sleep, lots of it. So that triggered some bad PP Anxiety. I called the pediatrician and asked if I could increase and still BF--they said yes. Whooo, relief!!! I stayed at 100 mg through pg with DD, breastfed her, and am still on it 7 years later.

This allows me to function. I need it, just like people need insulin or thyroid meds.

momm
10-22-2012, 09:56 AM
hi ladies,

I just wanted to post a very heartfelt thank you to all those who answered, shared, responded to the poll, and PMed me. Thank you so much. I feel better to read the responses and know others' stories.

Thanks again for all the support

peanutbutternkelly
10-22-2012, 11:43 AM
I had a history of depression and anxiety but never sought the proper help. After my first child was born I was referred to a therapist and prescribed 50 mg. of Zoloft/Sertraline. The "crazy" thoughts and anxiety was crippling and I am so glad my husband accompanied me to my follow up visit to get me the help I needed. Through therapy and a gradual increase of medication I was able to function and be there for my baby. Needless to say... certain life events caused me to stay on the medication and they gradually increased it to about 125 mg. I gained about 30 pounds as well which I cannot seem to lose and then asked the prescribing dr. if weight gain was a side effect to which she responded, "yes! especially the dose you are on!" and then offered to prescribe me something else to lose weight! WTF? So... I gradually weaned myself from Zoloft after taking it for about 15 months. I also realized it was preventing me from "feeling" emotions. Probably because I took it too long after the initial issues with PPD and anxiety. Anyhow... I feel through the therapy I am now better able to deal with anxiety issues that arise. :)