PDA

View Full Version : How do you know if it's water leaking or regular leakage? 36 weeks

momm
10-19-2012, 07:37 AM
Hi,

TMI warning!!!

I'm at 36 weeks and there's some leakage. It seems more liquid than regular leakage..

As far as I know water need not necessarily break in a gush like in the movies. How do I know it's water leaking or just regular discharge? Any tips?

Better call the hospital?

specialp
10-19-2012, 07:45 AM
I would call.

2 things I was told: Lay down for 20-30 minutes and then stand up. If the I amniotic fluid is leaking, it will collect and pool while you are laying down and then be a bit more obvious to you as you stand. And amniotic fluid has a sweet smell to it.

acmom
10-19-2012, 07:54 AM
I had breaking water scares with both pregnancies. Both times it turned out that it wasn't fluid but it was hard enough to tell that they ran the test (both times the nurses told me they thought it was my water for sure!). I would call and get it checked out.

Melaine
10-19-2012, 08:09 AM
I had the worst time with this and it kept me really nervous for the last couple months of the pregnancy. I do not remember this much "moisture" with DDs, but with DS it was gross. Lots of changing of undies. Was always fine, but I think calling would be best.

AngB
10-19-2012, 08:15 AM
My water broke at 36 wks with DS, just like in the movies, a pop and gush. It was super obvious and unmistakable because it kept going and going. (This followed an amnio earlier in the day, it wasn't random.)But you can have a slow leak if the bag if maybe the bag of fluids just broke a little.

Call your doctor, it probably isn't an emergency, but they'll probably want to check it out.

marymoo86
10-19-2012, 08:46 AM
Mine leaked kind of like you described. I was already at the hospital for my induction due to low amniotic fluid as I was post dates. It was over a period of an hour. It is supposed to smell sweet I believe?

I have also read that your water can leak and then the fluid regenerate if not too much as been lost. Definitely call.

minnie-zb
10-19-2012, 09:17 AM
My water broke on the first one: it was the weirdest experience. An audible pop and then a gush. It was a lot of fluid. All over my hardwood floors. That's what I remember being worried about at the time: get a towel and soak up the liquid!

If you are in doubt, call your doctor. They will help you figure it out.

truly scrumptious
10-19-2012, 09:19 AM
Call your doc. I had a slow leak with DS at 36 weeks and I wasn't sure what it was. Turns out it was my water breaking and I had to be induced!

Go get it checked - they will test the fluid and confirm if it is amniotic fluid.

queenmama
10-19-2012, 09:22 AM
Definitely call. I had a slow leak over several days. They SAID to wear a full size pad (not a liner) and if it was full after an hour, then it was time to call. Bollocks. It didn't soak the pad after an hour but continued to leak for two days. And mine didn't have the telltale sweet odor.

Don't take a chance. Call or go in. It's very easy for them to test the fluid.

infomama
10-19-2012, 09:24 AM
Speaking from experience...go in and have them look at the fluid to see if it's amniotic fluid or something else.

With dd1...I woke up one morning with some very minor leaking and in a few hours I was being admitted. There is no way to tell unless they look under the scope.

Call your doc and take your bag just in case!!

lizzywednesday
10-19-2012, 09:27 AM

I have also read that your water can leak and then the fluid regenerate if not too much as been lost. Definitely call.

That's what they told me at the hospital DURING my induction ... after my water had broken.

trcy
10-19-2012, 09:45 AM
No advice, but wanted to wish you luck. Hope everything turns out ok.

jerigirl
10-19-2012, 10:54 AM
Call/go in. They can test it with pH paper.

TwinFoxes
10-19-2012, 11:06 AM
Please go in. My water broke at 26 weeks. It was just a steady flow, not a gush. I wasn't sure if something was wrong. I'm glad I called. I was on bed rest in the hospital for three more weeks. 29 weeks is early, but soooo much better than 26 weeks!

star04
10-19-2012, 11:12 AM
I had a slow trickle for a few days, had my weekly dr visit, and the dr that day said it wasn't my water. The leak continued some more, and when I went back in, a different dr tested me and told me it was my water! I was so annoyed and scared for my baby. She sent me to the hospital and I was given antibiotics since I was leaking for awhile. Please go in and make them test you.

tmahanes
10-19-2012, 12:33 PM
Call your doc. I had a slow leak with DS at 36 weeks and I wasn't sure what it was. Turns out it was my water breaking and I had to be induced!

Go get it checked - they will test the fluid and confirm if it is amniotic fluid.

Yeah that! Same thing happened here.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

KDsMommy
10-19-2012, 01:59 PM
Good luck OP, keep us posted!

jbbhb
10-19-2012, 07:50 PM
Yeah that! Same thing happened here.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

me too x2!

sunshine873
10-19-2012, 08:23 PM
Please go in. My water broke at 26 weeks. It was just a steady flow, not a gush. I wasn't sure if something was wrong. I'm glad I called. I was on bed rest in the hospital for three more weeks. 29 weeks is early, but soooo much better than 26 weeks!

:yeahthat: Except water broke at 22 and DD was born at 26. It won't hurt to get it checked out...

momm
10-22-2012, 09:54 AM
hi ladies, just wanted to let you all know that I did get it checked out, and it wasn't amniotic fluid. The OB sent me for an ultrasound, too, just to be sure, so that's awesome. Thank you everyone for your advice and support!

infomama
10-22-2012, 09:55 AM
hi ladies, just wanted to let you all know that I did get it checked out, and it wasn't amniotic fluid. The OB sent me for an ultrasound, too, just to be sure, so that's awesome. Thank you everyone for your advice and support!
Thanks for the update! Glad your doing well!

KDsMommy
10-22-2012, 10:33 AM
Great update!

trcy
10-22-2012, 01:10 PM
Glad to see such a good update :bighand:

TwinFoxes
10-22-2012, 01:43 PM
Whew! I'm so glad!