PDA

View Full Version : Why oh why do I keep trying BCP? Why?!

wendibird22
10-19-2012, 12:34 PM
I'm an idiot. Seriously. I'm pretty sure that having 2 kids has killed my common sense. Once again I've been duped into trying yet another BCP and hate it. This time it's microgestin 1/20. I started it 1.5wk ago. I take it religiously at 5:45am. Yesterday I started spotting. Today it's full blown breakthrough bleeding. Gee, didn't I just have my period 2 weeks ago? Not too mention I've been in a foul mood and weepy for a few days, my headaches and heartburn have spiked (which were well controlled once I went GF...and yep, the BCP is GF according to the manufacturer), and I've gained at least 3lbs despite working out 4 days a week. I had an appt with my PCP earlier this week and I mentioned that I think I don't like this BCP and that it seems like in my 20s it didn't matter what I took, they were all fine and that post-kids I haven't had luck with a single one. She said it's age. She said that's why some docs stop recommending BCPs after age 35. Older women experience many more side effects from them. Great. I've tried Mirena IUD and ended up with an ovarian cyst. I've tried lo logestrin and seasonique. I've had constant spotting with all of those.

So I'm done. D.O.N.E. done. DH, it's your turn.

SnuggleBuggles
10-19-2012, 12:44 PM
Bummer. :(. Copper IUD?

MaiseyDog
10-19-2012, 04:16 PM
Sorry you are dealing with this. It's so frustrating. I had breakthrough bleeding and problems with every BC pill I tried, and i'm a pharmacist and tried every one on my shelf at some point. I could not find a pill that worked for me, but had good results with the Nuvaring - no breakthrough bleeding and worsening of mood swings or breakouts. I have a copper IUD now and it's good too. So if you are looking for other options, you might consider those.

wendibird22
10-19-2012, 08:18 PM
My PCP mentioned nuvaring. I thought I remember reading there were lots a side effects w that one and that there were lawsuits? I hesitate to try another IUD. At least with bcp or the ring I could stop at any time if I didn't like it vs needing a doc to remove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles
10-19-2012, 08:25 PM
I was just thinking about non hormonal options. You're right though; dh should be in deck now. :)