PDA

View Full Version : Living Overseas Can Really SUCK!

SBizzle07
10-19-2012, 05:13 PM
My husband is in the military and we are stationed at Ramstein Air Base in Germany. We're expecting our first child in May, and already I am completely fed up with shopping for baby things! Almost NO ONE ships to an APO box for large items, and if they do it costs anywhere from 30 - 50% of the item price just to ship it. German stores do not sell the same style cribs, the same mattresses, the same sheets, or ANYTHING American for that matter. Just about 90% of what I purchase has to be done online.

I was able to purchase the crib, dresser, changing table (I wanted one), and play yard through our local Exchange, but I was told it could take SIX months. I'm terrified it's going to be damaged in that long shipment, and then what? I also bought the stroller and the crib mattress online, but those two items alone have cost me $125 in shipping. I am so sick of paying so much more for where I live!

I am really pissed off there aren't more military-friendly companies that ship larger items to APOs. I'm so ready to move back to the States after four years of living here. Having a baby there is definitely much easier when it comes to selection and convenience of shopping.