PDA

View Full Version : Chemo care package

jgenie
10-19-2012, 11:16 PM
I just found out a good friend of a friend of mine is going through chemo. My friend is her chemo buddy - she takes her to her appointment every month and stays with her. Any ideas for things I could put in a care package that they both could enjoy during her chemo appointments? TIA

sariana
10-20-2012, 12:56 AM
I don't know about both of them, but my mom would complain about being cold during her treatments. So I got her a throw. She liked to take her mp3 player, but she did not have a friend with her.

Would they enjoy a game of some sort? Word puzzles? A portable DVD player to enjoy a show together?

That's really nice of you, BTW, to do something like that for a friend of a friend. They both will appreciate anything you happen to come up with.

Pennylane
10-20-2012, 08:29 AM
My mom was always cold also, so a throw or shawl would be great. She also complained of chapped lips, so I would put in a couple of nice lip balms. A nice selection of magazines, book or two, mints or other small candies, crossword or word find books.

So sorry about your friend :(

Ann

hillview
10-20-2012, 08:31 AM
ditto on cold. also maybe a funny book. some nice cream for hand and face. an easy game of maybe topics to talk about. my mom often wanted silence.

sadie427
10-20-2012, 10:17 PM
-nice big scarf to keep her warm
-portable games (maybe bananagrams?)
-I tunes or amazon gift cards if she has an ipad, iphone and/or kindle?
-coffee card for a place near the hospital (that might be more for the buddy than the patient)

twowhat?
10-20-2012, 10:23 PM
some super soft, fuzzy socks (again for the cold) - my mom's infusion center provided warmed blankets but socks were nice for kicking back with feet up since those get cold too and it's nice to not have to wear shoes for 2 hrs:)

Tea, hot cocoa, snacks (it's always nice to have good snacks around for when a cancer patient feels like eating)

Agree with books/magazines if you know what she/they would like to read.

Movies and earplugs if they have an ipad or laptop or tablet to watch on. Sometimes the cancer patient really just wants quiet and doesn't necessarily have the energy to keep up a conversation - that's where books, magazines, movies are nice.

karstmama
10-21-2012, 07:45 AM
deck of cards? especially if you know something of their tastes & could get great pics on the back. i have friends that would love ones with a beach scene and friends who would love ones with chippendales dancers.

travel board games like scrabble or backgammon?

amazon gift cards if they have ereaders?

Jupiter
10-21-2012, 07:58 AM
Ditto on what people have said. I might add to that.

Joke book, funny movie, mad libs, cutesy fun stuff that gets them talking about something else and laughing. Food (though I don't know how hungry someone on chemo gets).