PDA

View Full Version : Painkillers for teething?

flashy09
10-20-2012, 10:08 AM
DD has been sleeping great ever since I moved her out of my room until the last two nights when she has not gone to bed until 830 and she seems edgey during the day. Last night she was up from 1145 - 3 am and was really upset and just wanted to nurse and nurse and nurse. She would pull off and close her eyes and then start whimpering and latch back on for a few minutes. She woke up at 630 am in floods of tears and again wanted to nurse forever. Now she is passed out in her swing.

I assume this all teething related. One top front tooth has just emerged this week and the other is right there and will probably come through in the next few days.

I don't have any painkillers as she has never been sick and doesn't have much of a vaccine reaction. Should I give her something? For me, Ibuprofen always works the best for me. Can I give her some baby Ibuprofen or is Tylenol a better choice? Or just tough it out for a few days?

Thank you!

Snow mom
10-20-2012, 10:15 AM
I think we primarily used Hylands teething gel at that age. You might also get her a mesh feeder (if you don't have one already) and put lightly frozen (or completely frozen) fruit into it for her to gnaw on. Personally we did less pain type meds at younger ages and we really only used it at night so she could sleep but I know different families have different feelings on using Tylenol.

AnnieW625
10-20-2012, 10:26 AM
infant ibuprofen, and Hyland's Teething Gel, or tablets. For my kids the ibuprofen seemed to work better than Tylenol.

flashy09
10-20-2012, 10:40 AM
Is teething gel ok to use? I feel like I have read that it can be risky..something like it numbs the back of the throat and they can choke? But I am open to try it if the consensus is that it works and is safe!

Should I just give the ibuprofen at night or can I keep it in her system 24/7 the next few days? Even during her nap right now she is kind of whimpering and briefly waking. Drooling, coughing, finger in her mouth...poor baby. I will take her temp when she wakes up just to make sure she isn't sick.

AnnieW625
10-20-2012, 10:44 AM
I always just put a tiny bit on their gums. I have never heard about choking on teething gel. There were days especially with DD1 where she got ibuprofen or Tylenol every 4 hrs. for a day or two when she was teething. I never really tried to worry much about it because teething caused her a lot of pain and it was more important to keep her comfortable. Oh and if you can get the dye free meds, no staining.:)

BDKmom
10-20-2012, 11:29 AM
For my DS, I give ibuprofen as directed (every 6 hours?) for a few days to keep him comfortable until the tooth breaks through. I have no problem with keeping it in his system for a few days, especially if I can tell he is in pain.

marymoo86
10-20-2012, 12:02 PM
Is teething gel ok to use? I feel like I have read that it can be risky..something like it numbs the back of the throat and they can choke? But I am open to try it if the consensus is that it works and is safe!

Should I just give the ibuprofen at night or can I keep it in her system 24/7 the next few days? Even during her nap right now she is kind of whimpering and briefly waking. Drooling, coughing, finger in her mouth...poor baby. I will take her temp when she wakes up just to make sure she isn't sick.

Hylands isn't a numbing gel so not a concern.

I prefer Boiron's Camilia (http://www.boironusa.com/?products=%2Fcamilia%2F) this always has helped my DD with teething.

flashy09
10-20-2012, 01:30 PM
Hylands isn't a numbing gel so not a concern.

I prefer Boiron's Camilia (http://www.boironusa.com/?products=%2Fcamilia%2F) this always has helped my DD with teething.

I will look into both! Thank you

okinawama
10-20-2012, 04:05 PM
I recently had braces and after experiencing teeth pain, I will always medicate if I feel my kids are in pain due to their teeth. Teeth pain is awful. It radiates through your entire face. It made eating and sleeping near impossible and I took ibuprofen around the clock each time I had my braces adjusted. For me, if I know it's teeth, I give motrin or tylenol before nap time and bedtime without hesitation. During the day we use other natural remedies.

flashy09
10-20-2012, 06:01 PM
Just gave her some infant Advil and will keep fingers crossed for a better night!