PDA

View Full Version : Liver cyst

BabyMine
10-20-2012, 11:27 AM
I have been really sick for the past 6 weeks. I had bloods tests done that showed my liver enzymes and CRP were elevated ( AST was 247 and CRP was 15 ) I was put on antibiotics and sent for an ultrasound. The US report findings were a 2.1 x 1.8 complex cyst in the posterior right hepatic lobe.
Since I am horrible in math and my brain is mush can someone tell me what the total size of the cyst is and if it is considered big?

Anyone have any experience with liver cysts?

dogmom
10-20-2012, 12:02 PM
2.54 cm = 1 inch, not large. Liver cysts can be common, some are there at birth, some develop later. I remember when I worked in transplant liver surgeons used to tell me that woman on BCP often had cysts, don't remember why. They are benign and usually don't cause any problems and you wouldn't know they were there unless someone did a CT scan and happened across them. Sometimes they can been parasites, but usually your CBC will give you a clue on that. (complete blood count) So the cyst may or may not have anything to do with your liver function tests. They can be drained if causing problems. To your original question, the liver is fairly big so I would not consider that to be a "wow, that's a big cyst" if I read that in a CT report. In fact I think I have one that was that size? Or was that on my kidney, don't remember.

Indianamom2
10-20-2012, 12:05 PM
I don't know if this is the same thing or not, but I had a liver hemangioma (which I think is just a benign cyst) that was discovered a few months ago. I believe it was around the same size (I seem to remember a centimeter, although I had several).

It was considered nothing to worry about. I hope yours is the same.:hug:

BabyMine
10-20-2012, 12:13 PM
2.54 cm = 1 inch, not large. Liver cysts can be common, some are there at birth, some develop later. I remember when I worked in transplant liver surgeons used to tell me that woman on BCP often had cysts, don't remember why. They are benign and usually don't cause any problems and you wouldn't know they were there unless someone did a CT scan and happened across them. Sometimes they can been parasites, but usually your CBC will give you a clue on that. (complete blood count) So the cyst may or may not have anything to do with your liver function tests. They can be drained if causing problems. To your original question, the liver is fairly big so I would not consider that to be a "wow, that's a big cyst" if I read that in a CT report. In fact I think I have one that was that size? Or was that on my kidney, don't remember.

What is the difference between a simple cyst and a complex cyst? I have a complex cyst.

dogmom
10-20-2012, 08:20 PM
Simple cyst is just fluid filled. Complex cysts have fluid and one or more of the following that make there appearance more "complex": wall thickening or irregularity, certain internal features (no just a bubble), calcification, hemorrhagic (bleeding) evidence. Means nothing outside of context of size, place, possible causes. Take for example hemorrhagic, that sounds bad, but a hemorrhagic ovary cyst is almost certainly a "Chocolate ovarian cyst" which is caused by endomitriousis and benign, unlike ovarian cancer. Although I realize the word "complex" sounds more menacing than "simple". Many descriptive phrases in medicine has to do with the simple physical appearance of something and nothing to do with it's possible impact on your body.

Bottom line is you need to talk to your doctor about it to get a better idea of what he or she is thinking it could be.

BabyMine
10-20-2012, 08:54 PM
Simple cyst is just fluid filled. Complex cysts have fluid and one or more of the following that make there appearance more "complex": wall thickening or irregularity, certain internal features (no just a bubble), calcification, hemorrhagic (bleeding) evidence. Means nothing outside of context of size, place, possible causes. Take for example hemorrhagic, that sounds bad, but a hemorrhagic ovary cyst is almost certainly a "Chocolate ovarian cyst" which is caused by endomitriousis and benign, unlike ovarian cancer. Although I realize the word "complex" sounds more menacing than "simple". Many descriptive phrases in medicine has to do with the simple physical appearance of something and nothing to do with it's possible impact on your body.

Bottom line is you need to talk to your doctor about it to get a better idea of what he or she is thinking it could be.

Thank you for explaining it. My PCP isn't too concerned but because I was really sick a couple weeks ago and my levels were elevated she wants me to follow up with a GI Dr. I see him this Tuesday. I do have a couple small cysts on my ovaries but I have never been concerned about them.