PDA

View Full Version : BF moms: can AF come back and go away again?

Kira's Mommy
10-20-2012, 02:57 PM
This is really weird. AF came back at 7 months PP. It seemed typical - some cramping, mood swings etc. That was 2 months ago and ... nothing. Home pregnancy test is negative, no other pregnancy symptoms.

DS nurses a lot both during the day and night. He is a very picky eater and not a fan of solids at all.

With DD (my first) AF came back at 7 months PP and remained a regular visitor until I got pregnant with DS. DD loved solids and would eat anything.

Is this normal? Do I need to get checked out? I'm in perfect health otherwise.

Kindra178
10-20-2012, 04:16 PM
Happened to me after the twins. It came back after three months but then went away for 5 months.

Kira's Mommy
10-20-2012, 09:48 PM
Happened to me after the twins. It came back after three months but then went away for 5 months.

Thanks. This reassures me. Not that I miss AF, I don't, but I'm definitely not ready for another pregnancy.

Multimama
10-20-2012, 10:14 PM
I'm not an expert, but it sounds entirely normal to me!

trcy
10-21-2012, 01:49 PM
Sounds normal to me as well. For me AF showed up at 6mo PP then not again until 9mo. Enjoy the break :)

brittone2
10-21-2012, 01:51 PM
IME, yes, but I have PCOS which probably has played a part.

I think those first cycles are sometimes anovulatory. YOu could end up with a "break through" bleed too. I know I've gone 3 months without a period, had an anovulatory bleed, and then a few months later had my period kick in more regularly, with ovulation and a more normal cycle.

catsnkid
10-22-2012, 11:54 AM
Are you on the mini-pill? That might have something to do with it. Personally I was on it, and didn't get AF back until I stopped breastfeeding completely at 27 months. 3 years with no AF, that was nice in a way.

essnce629
10-22-2012, 02:07 PM
With DS1 my period came back at 6 weeks postpartum, then I had a month with no period, then a month with a period, and then another month where it was absent. After that I was regular again. I also experienced some weird cycle changes (mid-cycle spotting, etc) at the end our nursing relationship (near the 2 year mark). I was not on any type of hormonal birth control at this time.

So it sounds normal to me. Things will probably get more regular over the next couple of months.

indigo99
10-22-2012, 06:35 PM
I'm at 13 months post and had one heavy period about two months ago plus a more normal period last week (brought on by an exam at the doctor's office). While your hormones are still getting back to normal, it can be unpredictable.

After DS1, I'd only had 2 or 3 irregular periods when I got pg again though. We were trying so I was using a test to predict my ovulation.