PDA

View Full Version : SO toxic for dogs?

hbridge
10-20-2012, 04:29 PM
I just read in the BP that apples are toxic for dogs. This fact is VERY good to know...

Ours has eaten an apple with no ill effects, thank goodness. However, our pup has recently had some vomiting issues. We are currently doing a food challenge, but he had another incident on Friday and we are now thinking it might be pinecones. He loves to pick them up and carry them on walks.

Could pinecones be causing vomiting in a 6 mo. puppy?

Thank you so much!

infomama
10-20-2012, 04:56 PM
I just read in the BP that apples are toxic for dogs. This fact is VERY good to know...

Just the core (actually the seeds) is toxic. The rest of the apple is fine for dogs.

LizLemon
10-20-2012, 07:54 PM
Just the core (actually the seeds) is toxic. The rest of the apple is fine for dogs.
That's right. Our dogs our total omnivores. The breeder for our first, a labradoodle, suggested carrot and celery sticks as a snack so they have been raised eating fruits and veggies from when they were puppies. So they will hang out in the kitchen as we are cooking, because they will tend to get any veggie scraps, etc. The other night my husband, who was apparently unaware of the apple core toxicity issue, fed our dogs just apple cores left over from our daughter's lunch. They were fine not even any tummy upset. So hopefully you have to eat a decent amount to have an ill effects.

maestramommy
10-20-2012, 08:07 PM
I've heard that grapes are also toxic for dogs. Haven't heard it was just the seeds though. another old one is chocolate, though my expert told me it has to be quite a lot unless you have a teeny dog.

We've fed our dog bits of apple before. Not seeds.

OP, our dog got some intestinal bug after chewing and eating mulch. The vet said it could be bacteria in the mulch, or maybe chemicals, though our mulch was undyed. Still, I wouldn't rule out the pinecone. Shep throws up now and then after eating grass.

queenmama
10-20-2012, 08:29 PM
Grapes and raisins are really bad. I heard they cause kidney failure.

I think chocolate is kind of a myth. My friend's Corgi ate a one pound Hershey bar and it had no effect on him. He's actually very sneaky and eats candy all the time (minus the wrappers!) with no problems. He might just be a freak, though.

We give our dog apple cores all the time. I'll make sure we check for seeds from now on. Thanks for that!

Otherwise, our dog gets no table scraps. DH only feeds him premium food like Taste of the Wild because he wants pup to have little to no "junk food."

Penny's Pappa
10-20-2012, 08:49 PM
I think chocolate is kind of a myth. My friend's Corgi ate a one pound Hershey bar and it had no effect on him. He's actually very sneaky and eats candy all the time (minus the wrappers!) with no problems. He might just be a freak, though.

From what I've heard it is not a myth; however, it matters what type of chocolate you are talking about. The more concentrated the chocolate, the more toxic.

http://animals.howstuffworks.com/pets/question348.htm

----------
Sent from the aether using Tapatalk.

rin
10-20-2012, 08:53 PM
Apple seeds are toxic to humans, too, although from what I understand you'd have to eat something like a cup of seeds at one sitting for it to be dangerous. Our dog eats apple cores all the time!

LizLemon
10-20-2012, 08:54 PM
Grapes and raisins are really bad. I heard they cause kidney failure.

We give our dog apple cores all the time. I'll make sure we check for seeds from now on. Thanks for that!

Otherwise, our dog gets no table scraps. DH only feeds him premium food like Taste of the Wild because he wants pup to have little to no "junk food."
I don't think the chocolate is a myth. I don't know how much actual chocolate is in a Hershey bar even a 1-lb one. :p
I think higher risk is with dark and high-quality chocolates, but it depends on the amount/type of chocolate, type of dog, etc.. My friend once gave (or tried to give) his wife a big bar of dark chocolate for Christmas. Their dog broke into the presents, ate it, and got quite sick. So not only did the dog eat the gift, there was dog "sickness" to deal with. Very nice.

MamaInMarch
10-20-2012, 09:22 PM
I have always heard that about chocolate and I wouldn't risk it with high % cacao stuff but my Chihuahuas share M&Ms with us now and then.

Our dogs *love* fruits and veggies, too. I make them a mix to go with their dry food that is canned pumpkin, tomato paste, spinach, green beans, carrots, and extra virgin olive oil. They love it!

They also eat apples, berries and bananas when we do as their treats.

queenmama
10-20-2012, 09:49 PM
Ah, that makes sense! He's only ever had regular milk chocolate bars & Kisses, that kind of stuff. I'll tell my friend to keep the good chocolate out of Reggie's reach! ;)

twowhat?
10-20-2012, 10:06 PM
Grapes (raisins) and chocolate are bad! Growing up our doxie ate an ENTIRE bowl of chocolates - fortunately she threw most of it up but she was so sick.

And grapes are definitely bad - a friend had to take their dog to the emergency vet when they discovered the grapes swiped off the dining table. The EV took it VERY, induced vomiting, and then after counting the number of grapes that came up, remarked that she may have saved herself by swallowing the grapes whole (rather than chewing them which would have sped digestion and therefore kidney failure).

Apple seeds are toxic to humans too but I think you'd have to eat quite a lot.

And corn cobs are a no-no for dogs...not toxic but can cause obstructions. I discovered that after I gave our dogs corn cobs (they LOVED to chew on them) and then googled it and had a panic attack:)

mom2beofboy/girltwins
10-20-2012, 11:24 PM
After a close call with my little dog, I found out xylitol is extremely toxic to dogs. Has to do with the way dogs bodies process sugar alcohols vs how humans do. Its in lots of things but especially chewing gum and the amount of xylitol can vary widely even among flavors of the same brand - learned this after extensive calculations were done by animal poison control (had no idea such an entity even existed!) So PSA for those with dogs, be careful where you leave your gum! If I hadn't found out that my friend's very big dog ate the gum I would have been facing a super hefty vet bill and permenantly injured dog.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

buddyleebaby
10-20-2012, 11:41 PM
Hydrangeas are toxic to dogs.

To the OP, I don't think pine cones are toxic but I imagine the oil might be irritating to the stomach if ingested. Of bigger concern though, is a possible bowel obstruction if pup does more than carry one around. I wouldn't let him play with them if you can help it.