PDA

View Full Version : Help me make a care package for my good friend

swissair81
10-20-2012, 07:55 PM
Bit of history: our fathers were best friends and we were friends practically before we were born. We were in the same class from preschool on, and now we live down the block from each other and our kids are friends. We both had babies a week apart at the end of August. Her baby was fine for the first two weeks and has been in the NICU since. She spends her entire day with her baby- except for when she needs to care for her older two kids. I have not been able to help her as much as I would like, owing to circumstances. In any case, I'd really like to give her a present for her. Not a baby present, more of a frazzled new mom present. I thought of gift cards, but it's not like she has spare time now. I thought of a good book series, some body products, and I'm not sure what else. Have any ideas for me?

karstmama
10-20-2012, 09:07 PM
wow - how stressful for her. :(

does the hospital have a cafeteria system with a way to give gift cards? i'd have loved that, not having to come up with money to get lunch or a snack or a coffee. i liked reading books of essays - i didn't have to keep track of characters when i felt so distracted. does she have to pay parking? if there's a way to pre-pay, that would be really nice. does she like to do handwork or knit or anything? that might be soothing, something to do at the bedside.

DietCokeLover
10-20-2012, 09:22 PM
Magazines
Snacks (granola bars, pretzels, m&ms, etc)
Lap blanket for cold hospital rooms
iTunes gift card so she could download apps, music, etc
Roll of quarters for vending machines

Love the idea from pp who suggested gift card to the cafeteria

rin
10-20-2012, 09:24 PM
If she has long hair, maybe some hair stuff (nice shampoo/conditioner, some fun clips/combs/etc, maybe a nice hairbrush). If you know her fashion sense, maybe a cute pair of yoga pants that she could wear out & about, or a cute comfy skirt.

Food is awesome. My favorite thing that anyone has done for me after either child was one of my friends sent me a box with coffee, granola, and some presents for the kids. Maybe a gift box that includes granola bars, or other easy, healthy things she could grab and take with her?

SnuggleBuggles
10-20-2012, 09:34 PM
iTunes gift card? I don't know your budget but an e-reader?

swissair81
10-20-2012, 10:41 PM
Such good ideas. Let me think.
The cafeteria gc thing would be an awesome idea if she didn't keep kosher. The caf there is kind of short on food we can eat.
The roll of quarters is inspired though. Snacks are also a good idea.
Parking is free
iTunes gc is a good idea- she has an iPhone (and it can double as an eReader) Maybe I can suggest a few titles.
I'm going to stay away from clothes. Being postpartum myself, I know that no one would ever guess what size I am (nor would I want them to even try).
I'm going to assume the NICU is on the warmer side because of all the babies.

Thanks all!

karstmama
10-21-2012, 07:41 AM
well, if she keeps kosher and you know her restrictions, how about a really large bag or box of appropriate, shelf-stable snacks she can keep in the car and just grab a couple on her way up to nicu and a couple on her way home? or conversely, you could start a nice campaign to the cafeteria to add more kosher-safe foods. she might love that, but she doesn't have the energy to do it, and if it were me i'd think that was very supportive and thoughtful.

http://www.signals.com/signals/Apparel_1GZ/View-All-Apparel_1GA/Item_CONVERTIBLE-SWEATER-KNIT-SHRUG_HM9422.html this might be nice, since it buttons into a shrug or a vest or can just be used as a scarf/wrap if you live in an area that's getting cool. i agree that at least jameson's nicu was quite warm.

is she pumping? a hands-free pumping vest would have been a great gift.

how about a cleaning service every 2 weeks for a month or 6 weeks?

how about a special outing for her other kids, to the local kids' museum or amusement park? i'm sure she feels they are being neglected.

thank you for thinking of her. :)