PDA

View Full Version : Size for Sling Use

kaharris83
10-20-2012, 08:30 PM
With DS1 we had a Moby wrap, Ergo, and Beco Butterfly II which we will use for DS2. I picked up a Gemini a few weeks ago because it was a smoking good deal and I've heard great things about using them with newborns. I'm looking into the TaylorMade Water Sling Melanie posted about a few months ago. I'm just wondering if there is a certain age period that slings are really good for? I'd like to use it for showers and next summer in the pool. We are going to WDW in April when DS2 is about 4 months and I was thinking it might be nice to use the sling as it seems like it would be cooler than our other carriers. I didn't know if they are more uncomfortable once baby reaches a certain weight.

ArizonaGirl
10-21-2012, 01:09 AM
I am definitely no expert, but I have a Moby and a basic pouch sling (that I made) and I find that the sling is only comfortable for short trips to the store etc. The Moby is much more comfortable for longer outings because it more evenly distributes the baby's weight across both shoulders.

DD is 2 months old and weighs about 10.5 lbs.

HTH

ABO Mama
10-21-2012, 11:17 AM
It really depends on the type of carrier. I found the Moby to be only comfortable up to 5 months for my DC, but a woven wrap is just fine into the toddler years.

hoodlims
10-23-2012, 02:00 AM
I have a Balboa baby sling and I didn't use it in a traditional sling/recline position for very long. Both my children were very long babies and I couldn't figure out how to get their head and feet to fit at the same time, even though it is adjustable. Maybe 4weeks max?

daisymommy
11-05-2012, 12:20 PM
A good sling like a Maya Wrap sling, and learning how to use it correctly, will take your child well past the age of 2 years old :) I've carried all of my babies and toddlers for hours in my slings!

ecdyses
12-08-2012, 05:48 PM
Slings work for all ages, depending on the fabric. Any are great for newborns. However, as baby gets heavier you
may need more supportive fabrics (double linen, wrap conversions). I carry my 30 lb 2.5 year old occassionly in thick linen wrap conversion slings or double layer silk, but can't carry him in the thin linen or cotton slings that were awesome when he is small. So it's not the carrier design so much as the fabric and your own body that determine how long you can use an RS comfortably.