PDA

View Full Version : Diagnose the baby?

Jacksmommy2b
10-20-2012, 09:06 PM
DD is 5 weeks and started with the baby acne last week. It is pretty bad, much more than my boys ever had. Her Dr saw her Thursday and said both the face rash and the matching rash on her scalp were normal baby stuff. . As of yesterday it was so much worse on the right side of her face. Today I notice her right ear looks awful. I don't even know how to describe it, the lobe and where her ear meets her head is red and so full of tiny 'pimples' that it looks textured. By this afternoon there is even a small amout of golden yellow discharge just on the worst areas of the ear. And it is freaking me out.

Additional info: she has been sleeping on me the last few nights so her fac e has probably be getting hot. We use babyganics everything free or burts bees buttermilk baby bar soap bit don't wash her face. I'm off dairy for about a week, no hardcore allergy reactions but less spit up, gas and fussiness so I gave it up. Last night she was super fussy, gassy and pooping like ot was her job, so I wonder if I ate something she didn't like.

Stupid phone wdon't let me post a pic.

Any thoughts? Pedi isn't in till Monday but my anxiety is going wild.

boltfam
10-20-2012, 10:39 PM
I wouldn't sweat it. My DD had the same thing around that age. Her face looked, in DH's words, disguisting. My pedi also said it was normal, but once I completely cut out dairy, it went away.

I would just continue to stay dairy free and just be mindful, like it sounds like you are, about what comes into contact with her face.

twowhat?
10-20-2012, 10:50 PM
Ours had the pimply rough face too exactly like you describe - our ped said it wasn't "baby acne" but that it was eczema. We started applying Cerave after baths and during the day and it improved drastically in 24 hrs.

So maybe try that too while you wait to call your doc?

randomkid
10-21-2012, 01:01 AM
Sounds like eczema. Stay off the dairy and make sure you also eliminate all milk proteins - casein and whey. You might also consider eliminating soy. Soy protein can cause just as much trouble as dairy. DD started developing eczema around 4-5 weeks and once we eliminated dairy and soy, it cleared up. It was exactly as you describe - red, pimply, yellow and crusty. Looks a lot like baby acne, but worse.

lovebebes
10-21-2012, 01:21 AM
i dont know if Emu oil is appropriate to use at this age but i know nothing that says otherwise. Please do double check this though.

this is the one i use:
http://www.amazon.com/Emu-Oil-Pure-Premium-Golden/dp/B001MWV40U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1350796813&sr=8-2&keywords=emu+oil

read the reviews, a lot of people use it for all kinds of skin conditions.

LizLemon
10-21-2012, 04:00 AM
Golden crusting on a rash makes me think impetigo, especially with a history of it getting a lot worse quickly.

goldenpig
10-21-2012, 04:16 AM
Sounds like eczema. Stay off the dairy and make sure you also eliminate all milk proteins - casein and whey. You might also consider eliminating soy. Soy protein can cause just as much trouble as dairy. DD started developing eczema around 4-5 weeks and once we eliminated dairy and soy, it cleared up. It was exactly as you describe - red, pimply, yellow and crusty. Looks a lot like baby acne, but worse.

:yeahthat:

DS had a very similar rash--sandpapery red pimples all over his face, we thought it was baby acne, but it didn't clear up and then he had all the other symptoms of silent reflux and a bad case of diaper rash that didn't respond to creams or antifungals. Once I finally figured it out and stopped dairy, all his rashes cleared up, his reflux got a little better, but I had to cut out ALL hidden dairy (casein, whey) before his symptoms completely resolved. And every time I would eat something with even a trace amount of dairy he would get another diaper rash and pimples on his face.

llama8
10-21-2012, 07:41 AM
My DD2 has it bad for a month. We had a lot of golden crusting, especially behind the ears. It was gross. The doctor said baby acne, but he also said it could be exzema. My doctor said to use over the counter hydrocortisone cream. It cleared up within a few days, even the ears. After getting rid of it, it never came back. We had no dairy issues or food allergies.

MSWR0319
10-21-2012, 11:04 AM
DS had a rash that sounds similar from the day he was born until about a month. It looked a lot like eczema but it wasn't. I can't remember the name of it, but it was long. They told us its a normal baby rash, but not every baby gets its and it's worse than baby acne. It did take awhile to clear up. I couldn't even get baby pictures taken it was so bad.

OKKiddo
10-21-2012, 12:27 PM
DD is 5 weeks and started with the baby acne last week. It is pretty bad, much more than my boys ever had. Her Dr saw her Thursday and said both the face rash and the matching rash on her scalp were normal baby stuff. . As of yesterday it was so much worse on the right side of her face. Today I notice her right ear looks awful. I don't even know how to describe it, the lobe and where her ear meets her head is red and so full of tiny 'pimples' that it looks textured. By this afternoon there is even a small amout of golden yellow discharge just on the worst areas of the ear. And it is freaking me out.

Additional info: she has been sleeping on me the last few nights so her fac e has probably be getting hot. We use babyganics everything free or burts bees buttermilk baby bar soap bit don't wash her face. I'm off dairy for about a week, no hardcore allergy reactions but less spit up, gas and fussiness so I gave it up. Last night she was super fussy, gassy and pooping like ot was her job, so I wonder if I ate something she didn't like.

Stupid phone wdon't let me post a pic.

Any thoughts? Pedi isn't in till Monday but my anxiety is going wild.

Sounds exactly like my kiddos. Dairy was the culprit and unfortunately it takes a few weeks to get it completely out of your breastmilk. You should start seeing the rash and fussiness fade gradually now (just avoid as much as possible). It really sucks when sometimes you just want the creamy though. I did find that I was able to drink/eat raw milk products without issue and once I discovered that secret I ate/drank heartily.