PDA

View Full Version : Need help with DD's assignment - Christian school related topic

randomkid
10-21-2012, 03:52 PM
OK Christian parents, help me with this. I am, and always have been, terrible at interpretation, symbolism, etc. DH is the one to handle this kind of thing, but he is out of town and won't be home until late tonight. DD has to take this in tomorrow. So, please help me explain to DD what she needs to do. I get it, but can't think of a way to explain it to a 7yo 2nd grader so she gets it. Here is the assignment:

The following week is our chapel lesson week. Next week I will assign prayers and pledges to different children. We will also be working on our chapel lesson, which will be presented on Friday, November 2nd. The theme is: "I am the bread of life."; Each child will say how he/she can invite Christ into his/her daily life. I explained to the children that I want them to think of a way they can do this. This means ways your child can try to be Christ-like, to learn about God's word and use those words to live each day to the best, by glorifying God.
Please help your child to write down two or three ways he/she might do this and bring these to school on Monday. I appreciate your help, as I think it might take some concentrated thinking.

SnuggleBuggles
10-21-2012, 04:06 PM
I'd probably just cover the first part- what are ways dd can behave or what acts can she do in her home of community that are Christ like.

maestramommy
10-21-2012, 04:09 PM
I think the trouble is they are taking two distinct points (Christ as the bread of life, and being Christ like) and mashing them together. For a 7yo I'd just focus on being Christ-like. How to follow Christ's living example. Inviting Christ into you life literally is a whole other ballgame. You'd want to talk to your Dh about that before explaining to your DD.

fedoragirl
10-21-2012, 04:16 PM
I think the trouble is they are taking two distinct points (Christ as the bread of life, and being Christ like) and mashing them together. For a 7yo I'd just focus on being Christ-like. How to follow Christ's living example. Inviting Christ into you life literally is a whole other ballgame. You'd want to talk to your Dh about that before explaining to your DD.

I agree. I would have a hard time digesting the "I am the bread of life" implications as a 7 y.o.

karstmama
10-21-2012, 04:17 PM
disclaimer - i'm not christian.

it seems to me that what they're getting at is everyday, 'all the time' ways to be good christians. i think that's what they're meaning by the 'inviting in' phrase, though i agree that to most who hear it it would mean becoming born again or being baptized. so i think they want you to brainstorm ways to be a good christian, to be 'christ-like', in your dd's everyday life. so once y'all talk about what that means to you & to her, maybe something like trying a habit of saying grace? or trying to be nice to the annoying kid at the bus stop who always wants to hang around her? or other stuff along those lines.

randomkid
10-21-2012, 04:20 PM

Right? This is why I'm having trouble. Bread of life or Christ like?

SnuggleBuggles
10-21-2012, 04:22 PM
Right? This is why I'm having trouble. Bread of life or Christ like?

I doubt she'll get a bad grade if you interpret wrong. Just pick one and don't stress. You could email the teacher; they might check today m

sariana
10-21-2012, 04:45 PM
I agree with karstmama. I think "I am the bread of life" means having Christ in your life is just as important as having bread (i. e. food) to eat. So coming up with ways she can be more Christ-like in her daily life should meet both parts of the assignment.

bigsis
10-21-2012, 05:11 PM
The theme is: "I am the bread of life."; Each child will say how he/she can invite Christ into his/her daily life.

Bread is a basic necessity of life. (Could be rice, pasta, tortillas...depending on one's ethnicity/preference) As we all need "bread" every day to nourish our body, our souls and minds have to be fed as well. This can be done by the words of Jesus Christ. We nourish our spirits with His words. When we read the Bible and meditate and pray upon what the text is trying to tell us, our minds process and hopefully, we obey on what we are supposed to do. HTH!

DietCokeLover
10-21-2012, 05:46 PM
Have dc come up with 2 or 3 ways that they can incorporate biblical living on their day such as : praying for others, being kind to siblings, etc.

bostonsmama
10-21-2012, 06:09 PM
A friend of mine linked to this blog post recently that ties in beautifully to the Lord being the "bread of life" and to be feasted upon daily.
http://elenateresaann.wordpress.com/2012/10/17/eat-the-mystery/

That's just one way for saying that we need God for our daily functioning, to get into the Word (scripture) daily, to seek Him for daily peace, serenity, contentment, etc. Tell her to think of God as food: when you're hungry, you can't think right or have the energy to do the things you want to get done. But when you're nourished, you have energy, excitement and creativity to get through the day, combatting the challenges we face when we're tempted to sin or take the easy road.

Starting the day with prayer (thanksgiving, being grateful to God for his bounty/provision/mercy), starting meals with prayer, devoting 15 minutes of story-time to the Bible where we learn about the heroes of the faith or God's truth to strengthen us, asking God for gifts of the Spirit (prophecy, healing, tongues, miracles) so we can share Jesus with others, serving the poor or needy once a week by donating time to a homeless shelter, food pantry, clothing closet, widows ministry, etc at church. Children can also offer some of their allowance to support missionaries who are helping the poor and needy, a commandment in Scripture.

randomkid
10-21-2012, 08:39 PM
A friend of mine linked to this blog post recently that ties in beautifully to the Lord being the "bread of life" and to be feasted upon daily.
http://elenateresaann.wordpress.com/2012/10/17/eat-the-mystery/

That's just one way for saying that we need God for our daily functioning, to get into the Word (scripture) daily, to seek Him for daily peace, serenity, contentment, etc. Tell her to think of God as food: when you're hungry, you can't think right or have the energy to do the things you want to get done. But when you're nourished, you have energy, excitement and creativity to get through the day, combatting the challenges we face when we're tempted to sin or take the easy road.

Starting the day with prayer (thanksgiving, being grateful to God for his bounty/provision/mercy), starting meals with prayer, devoting 15 minutes of story-time to the Bible where we learn about the heroes of the faith or God's truth to strengthen us, asking God for gifts of the Spirit (prophecy, healing, tongues, miracles) so we can share Jesus with others, serving the poor or needy once a week by donating time to a homeless shelter, food pantry, clothing closet, widows ministry, etc at church. Children can also offer some of their allowance to support missionaries who are helping the poor and needy, a commandment in Scripture.

This is very helpful. We have already completed the assignment because she had to get ready for bed, then I read this. I let her come up with her 3 things, but I do wish I had encouraged her to include reading the Bible which she does almost daily. She did come up with helping others in need, donating and praying for others.