PDA

View Full Version : Who are you using for holiday cards this year?

brittone2
10-21-2012, 04:28 PM
We attempted some shots for holiday photos outside today with the nice foliage and warmer weather. I usually book Portrait Innovations as soon as they take holiday appts (early or mid Nov IIRC), as we have multiple bdays, DH and my anniversary, etc. in December.

I liked P.I. in my last home state, but I'm not as crazy about the local one where I am now. I also am getting annoyed with their pricing structure, low res pics on CD, etc. even though I've been loyal for years. However, I basically hate having to finagle a good pic of the three kids...not easy with a toddler. He is not reliably cooperative in a studio either, so I figured I'd roll the dice on my own over the next week and see how that goes. I am not great at photography, figuring out lighting, shadows, etc. but I do try. We are starting early this year so I can shoot a few pics of the kids over the next week...and if all he## breaks loose, I have time to resort to a back up plan (P.I.).

I missed the zazzle deal on groupon or whatever site had it, although I am liking some of the formats there. It looks like they have a code for half off though. I think we have 2-3 good pics that we can use, so I'm kinda tempted to get these finished in the next week or two. I printed birth announcements for DS2 from tiny prints, but haven't used any of the companies in recent years for holiday cards.

Who do you think you'll use this year? We have used Shutterfly in the past a lot, but I thought about trying something different. Any suggestions for companies you've liked in the last year or two?

eta: please don't :6: me....seriously, December is crazy, crazy, crazy for us if I don't plan ahead. 4 bdays from mid Dec. through Christmas, an anniversary, and all of the other stuff that comes with the season. I can't enjoy it unless i start early ;)

AngB
10-21-2012, 05:22 PM
Last year we used Mixbook (groupon deal). I wasn't that thrilled with them, the print quality wasn't very good even with high res. pictures that were professionally taken.

I have used SimplytoImpress for DS's birth announcement and birthday invites and like them and they are generally a good price and have coupon codes out a lot. I like that you can play around with the templates a lot more and design for yourself instead of being mostly stuck with what they give you to work with. (They actually just sent me a generic code for 30% off but it's only good for 7 days..."earlybird", they send codes out frequently though so if you miss it I'm sure there will be another soon.)

waitingforgrace
10-21-2012, 05:34 PM
We used cardstore.com last year and I was very impressed with them. I got compliments from others on our cards too. The price was also great.

brittone2
10-21-2012, 05:34 PM
Thank you! There are always new places popping up so I thought I'd look at some sites other than Shutterfly and Tiny Prints this year.

baymom
10-21-2012, 05:35 PM
Costco--the price can't be beat and we send out over a hundred cards so I'm price sensitive about cards!

crl
10-21-2012, 05:37 PM
I have used shutterfly and snapfish in the past and been happy with both. I am waiting until we close on our house and then planning to order cards with our new address in them. They may have to be Happy New Year cards at that point though as we will be insanely busy trying to pack. I will go with whoever is cheapest at that point. There usually seem to be a few deals floating around--codes, groupons, etc.

Catherine

brittone2
10-21-2012, 05:44 PM
I have used shutterfly and snapfish in the past and been happy with both. I am waiting until we close on our house and then planning to order cards with our new address in them. They may have to be Happy New Year cards at that point though as we will be insanely busy trying to pack. I will go with whoever is cheapest at that point. There usually seem to be a few deals floating around--codes, groupons, etc.

Catherine
We were able to combine our change of address with our baby announcements. It worked out well!

So excited for you, by the way! :yay: I know moves can be daunting, but once it is all behind you, I'm sure you will be soooo happy!

crl
10-21-2012, 05:59 PM
We were able to combine our change of address with our baby announcements. It worked out well!

So excited for you, by the way! :yay: I know moves can be daunting, but once it is all behind you, I'm sure you will be soooo happy!

Thank you!
Catherine

kcimato
10-21-2012, 06:14 PM
I have used
www.simplytoimpress.com
for a number of years now since I need 5 openings for 5 little faces
As a previous poster pointed out you can fool around with it and get it just the way you want it.
I usually get them when they are 30% off.

gatorsmom
10-21-2012, 06:24 PM
r.

eta: please don't :6: me....seriously, December is crazy, crazy, crazy for us if I don't plan ahead. 4 bdays from mid Dec. through Christmas, an anniversary, and all of the other stuff that comes with the season. I can't enjoy it unless i start early ;)

You won't hear any criticism from me. I have half my Xmas shopping done and usually have my Xmas cards done by now. I can never understand how anyone can wait to do all that stuff at the last minute. I hope to have my Xmas cookie dough made and frozen by the 2nd week of November. I've found that if I don't plan ahead, I just don't enjoy the Christmas season. It just becomes too stressful.

As for who to use for Xmas cards, I was sorry I didn't get the great Shutterfly deal that just ended but I'm not ready. Honestly, I've used Snapfish, Walgreens and the HP website before and of all of them, I like Shutterfly the best. More card options, reliable service and usually pretty good deals in October. I also really like their website and their card always turn out beautifully.

daniele_ut
10-21-2012, 07:05 PM
I won't criticize you because my Christmas cards are sitting here in a box at my feet ready to be addressed and stamped so I can send them out when we get home from Disneyland right after Thanksgiving.

I bought the Zazzle deal and I was really happy with how they turned out. There was a template that perfectly matched the pictures of the kids we had taken in September so it worked out really well for us. I was very happy with the quality of the printing and if I had had more time I would have also used them for my 8 year old's baptism invites. I took them to Fed Ex Office because I could have them the same day and they are less than stellar!

Here is the proof for our card this year:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/daniele_ut/Christmascard2012-002.jpg

brittone2
10-21-2012, 07:15 PM
I won't criticize you because my Christmas cards are sitting here in a box at my feet ready to be addressed and stamped so I can send them out when we get home from Disneyland right after Thanksgiving.

I bought the Zazzle deal and I was really happy with how they turned out. There was a template that perfectly matched the pictures of the kids we had taken in September so it worked out really well for us. I was very happy with the quality of the printing and if I had had more time I would have also used them for my 8 year old's baptism invites. I took them to Fed Ex Office because I could have them the same day and they are less than stellar!

Here is the proof for our card this year:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/daniele_ut/Christmascard2012-002.jpg

Cuuuuute!! I really like those. Good to know zazzle's quality was good!

infomama
10-21-2012, 07:20 PM
I used Shutterfly this year and used the 40% off code. My cards are already here...I feel like a rockstar.

brittone2
10-21-2012, 07:21 PM
I used Shutterfly this year and used the 40% off code. My cards are already here...I feel like a rockstar.
:jammin: You are one!

Momit
10-21-2012, 07:26 PM
We're trying Zazzle this year (with the Groupon). I liked a bunch of their templates, and looked at them this afternoon with DH to finalize our choice. DS's preschool is doing pictures this week - hoping they will be cute and ready in time for the card deadline. Otherwise I will be racing off to Sears Portrait Studio on Friday.

Kindra178
10-21-2012, 07:29 PM
Minted.com

pakin
10-21-2012, 08:10 PM
We have used Shutterfly, Expressionery, MyPublisher, and Walgreens. MyPublisher was the best. http://www.mypublisher.com/

Pakin

DS 4/2001
DD 6/2005

khm
10-21-2012, 08:17 PM
I've used www.winkflash.com for YEARS. I started because I could upload my own card and not use their template AND they have matte finish AND are cheap (envelope included 5x7's is always what I use).

Last year, their templates were really nice, even though I still designed my own, I was very impressed.

JanBaby
10-21-2012, 08:19 PM
I'm glad to hear the Zazzle quality was good too! Mine are getting here on Tuesday.

I've used Vistaprint (not bad - printed on almost card stock paper), Mixbook (the print quality wasn't that sharp but the paper was thick and nice), Shutterfly and maybe Snapfish but that was years ago.

I'm also well on my way with Christmas shopping. I totally agree with PP who said she needs to get stuff done now to really enjoy the holidays.

maestramommy
10-21-2012, 08:27 PM
We use Costco every year. Can't beat the economy of scale, esp. since our list seems to grow each year:p. The family picture taking is turning into a family version of those Conan brothers' Mother's Day picture session, but somehow it works out.

llama8
10-21-2012, 08:41 PM
I have only used Shutterfly. I love their prices and the quality is good. I know a lot of people like Tiny Prints, but I found them to be quite pricy.

lmh2402
10-21-2012, 08:45 PM
i've used vistaprint for the last several years, but think this year i might use bayphoto. used bay for our birth announcements and they came out super awesome, if i do say so myself. but i like sites that allow for a total blank canvas - not sure bayphoto has any template designs or anything

ecofem
10-21-2012, 11:11 PM
Used Costco last year, will use again this year. 50 photo cards with envelopes for $14.99. Plus, I can design them online and pick them up in the store super quick.

hellokitty
10-22-2012, 07:34 AM
We always use Sams club since its economical and fast. I've been happy with their selection and it's easy to use.

Melaine
10-22-2012, 07:37 AM
Used Costco last year, will use again this year. 50 photo cards with envelopes for $14.99. Plus, I can design them online and pick them up in the store super quick.

Really? That is so cheap! Might have to check them out.

ETA: is it through tinyprints? that is all I see.

hillview
10-22-2012, 09:26 AM
Minted.com

:yeahthat: likely-- used them for the last 2 years.

daniele_ut
10-22-2012, 10:38 AM
Really? That is so cheap! Might have to check them out.

ETA: is it through tinyprints? that is all I see.

Here is the link:
http://www.costcophotocenter.com/gifts/gift_landing.aspx?q=15QKhBZ9JYXDmDlT,_80zh23ljDDKZ OJCVoesafapwxY-

You have to click on Login from the main page, but you don't have to actually log in to see the page above

star04
10-22-2012, 10:51 AM
We've done Costco the last 2 years. I think last year they had a $5 off coupon in November, so it was $10 for 50 cards!

Melaine
10-22-2012, 11:27 AM
Here is the link:
http://www.costcophotocenter.com/gifts/gift_landing.aspx?q=15QKhBZ9JYXDmDlT,_80zh23ljDDKZ OJCVoesafapwxY-

You have to click on Login from the main page, but you don't have to actually log in to see the page above

Thanks...I couldn't find it!

asha07
10-22-2012, 01:08 PM
We have used Shutterfly, Expressionery, MyPublisher, and Walgreens. MyPublisher was the best. http://www.mypublisher.com/

Pakin

DS 4/2001
DD 6/2005

Another vote for MyPublisher.

squimp
10-22-2012, 01:41 PM
I love tinyprints. I have done Walgreens and Shutterfly but came back to tinyprints. They usually have a code or two if you're able to plan ahead and then wait.

AnnieW625
10-22-2012, 02:46 PM
In the past when I haven't made my own I have used Costco, Kodak Gallery, and Shutterfly. Kodak got absorbed by someone. I am debating between Costco, and Shutterfly. Minted.com, and Tiny Prints are cute, but are still sadly of my price range.

I used Cardstore.com for DD1's birthday invites and I was told they turned out great, but one small rant was that because I had them sent directly (they were having a free postage special) I never actually got one of my own. So if you do want a copy of your card and the cards are mailed for you you need to have one sent to you.

Shutterfly has 20% off their cards, plus there is a 25% off their entire site code over on retailmenot.com.

jennilynn
10-22-2012, 05:11 PM
I used to be loyal to Shutterfly but I love Cardstore now. If I have time, I have them shipped to me (with stamps!) so I can check them before they go out. Just got an email about new designs this year and 40% off sitewide through Wednesday. Wish I had my photos done :) Code is CCM2040.

waitingforgrace
10-22-2012, 05:22 PM
I used to be loyal to Shutterfly but I love Cardstore now. If I have time, I have them shipped to me (with stamps!) so I can check them before they go out. Just got an email about new designs this year and 40% off sitewide through Wednesday. Wish I had my photos done :) Code is CCM2040.

Great thanks, I love cardstore