PDA

View Full Version : Can we handle another playroom decorating thread?

lalasmama
10-21-2012, 05:39 PM
Long story short, SO is having a home built, with the understanding that it's one of those things that he wants done before we can get married.... So, it's "his" house while being built, however, we picked it out together and he wants me to start the decorating and such so that when we get married, it will be "our" home. Awwwwww, how sweet... and I can't put into words how much I appreciate being consulted, instead of him trying to do it all, and me figuring out how to compromise everything when I move in later.

We've talked about a lot of the general house look and furnishings since picking out the house yesterday. (Okay, it's been about the only thing we've talked about, hee hee hee.)

I'm stuck on one specific room--he's given me free reign over it. The "playroom" is 20x14ft. So, a long, thin room. It will house the only TV in the house, as well as being a playroom area. One of the short walls will have 2 tall windows, taking up most of that wall. On the other short wall will be the entertainment center. Ideally, I'm picturing the first 10-12 feet of the room would be a TV area (complete entertainment center, video game system, etc), and the back area (by the huge windows) would be a play area for DD and the visiting grandkids (who will be toddlers when the house is finished, and coming over 1 weekend a month likely). Most of DD's toys will be in her room, but I'd like this room to have some of her toys in it so we can all be there as a family, even if we aren't all doing the same thing. More than likely, all the grandkids' toys will be in this room.

I have a general idea of the art I want (see below). We love all things Disney, so the art really makes us smile. I'm thinking we'd need 4-6 (probably 6!) of the prints to fill the wall enough. I imagine I will do some type of Expedit shelving for the play area. I'd like to keep the shelving low and wide vs tall, so that it's kind of hidden behind the couch/chairs when the room is initially viewed. I'm not fond of the ikea shelving that uses the plastic tubs, and I don't think SO would like it either. (He's fine with Expedit, which is what is in my living room at the moment, and kind of what I picture as the toy storage in the room.)

So, my questions...

(1) The prints: Disneyland Retro Ride Prints (https://www.google.com/search?q=disneyland+retro+posters&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=1mGEUMChMIij2QXZ-YHwBQ&ved=0CBwQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=665) .... Do I need to pick ones with a similar color palette? Or all based on the same land? Or is it just okay for it to be a mish-mash, with the "theme" being retro Disneyland posters?

(2) What color of curtains and couch would you pick, based on the artwork? My initial thought/choice would be black, but black is my go-to color for everything, and I want this to be lively and welcoming to the kids.

(3) What accent colors would you pull in? I'm thinking of colors for accent pillows, mainly, and some knick-knack things.... and probably some big throw pillows or bean bags for kids to plop on while watching movies.

(4) What other things would you suggest thinking about to make this be the "cool room" where everyone wants to go?

elbenn
10-21-2012, 06:42 PM
The retro disney pictures are totally cute. I think most of those would go fine together. Maybe you could paint the frames red, blue, or green or some other color that works with the pictures you choose.

As for couch and curtains, I don't think the black couch and curtains are very playroom like. Maybe a chocolate couch? For curtains, something colorful would make the room cheerful and you could do throw pillows in a similar color. Blue or red would be nice, but most colors would probably work with the artwork you are using. What are you and your DD's favorite colors?

Congratulations on your engagement!

lalasmama
10-22-2012, 01:09 AM
The retro disney pictures are totally cute. I think most of those would go fine together. Maybe you could paint the frames red, blue, or green or some other color that works with the pictures you choose.

As for couch and curtains, I don't think the black couch and curtains are very playroom like. Maybe a chocolate couch? For curtains, something colorful would make the room cheerful and you could do throw pillows in a similar color. Blue or red would be nice, but most colors would probably work with the artwork you are using. What are you and your DD's favorite colors?

Congratulations on your engagement!

I totally agree black wouldn't be the most lively choice, just what my "go-to" color scheme seems to include, and I'm trying to get away from that for a family room/play room.

Thanks for the congrats... It's not the "official" engagement yet (ie, no ring), but there's been a list of things he wants done pre-marriage: finish grad school, permanent job (well, as permanent as any job can be, main point being a job that will support a family), buy a "family" car, and buying a house is the last thing to do on that list. His family didn't bat an eye when he told them about the house today, so I assume they realized things were serious too :) Now, to just wait out the ring and the actual asking!

ellies mom
10-22-2012, 01:20 AM
I would chose my favorite print and pull the colors from there. And then pick other prints that "go" (or at least not clash). If you want the room to have a really fun kids vibe, I might go with furniture that has slipcover options in colors that work in the room. If you want a look that has more longevity but can still be fun and kind of funky, I'd probably go with a brown leather sofa because it wears well and fits with a lot of different styles. You could frame the prints in a brown frame to tie it together.

I think you are definitely on the right track because you are using stuff you all love rather than just focusing on what a child might like. It will be a room that can really grow with you.