PDA

View Full Version : Boy and Girl Scout families... badge questions

american_mama
10-21-2012, 11:26 PM
eta: I saw the helpful thread below, so I'll ask a new question. The various badges and patches can be very different colors. Does clear thread exist and if so, is it a good top thread to use with a sewing machine? Can you just use clear thread and sew in a big X across the circle and square patches and call it a day?

How do you attach badges to your child's uniform? I have two Girl Scouts and had little success ironing the iron-on badges, so I sewed them using my machine, but not everyone has a machine. I heard that Boy Scout Shops sell "badge glue" that works well. True or false? Does anyone hand sew them or get their child to hand sew them? Any other suggestions?

ett
10-21-2012, 11:33 PM
There was a recent thread on this.
http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=442480&highlight=badge+magic

ellies mom
10-21-2012, 11:41 PM
Well, I haven't been impressed with Badge Magic. Our lovely troop leader used that to put the patches on DD's Brownie vest and now I have to go buy new numbers because some fell off. I'm old school and believe in sewing them on. Of course, I also have a bag full new patches to sew on her vest. One of the guys I went to nursing school with used a hot glue gun to attach the school patch to his scrub top which I have to say held up through the wash pretty well.

sasha
10-22-2012, 07:20 AM
I hate Badge Magic. It holds the badges on for a while, but then the corners start to peel up and the uniform looks a mess.

I like to sew badges on by machine. Clear thread in the top (I like Gutterman best) and a thread matching the garment on the bobbin. Then I set my stitch to a medium width zig zag and sew around the patch. The zig zag is easier to sew in a circle, holds down the points of irregularly-shaped patches, and is easy to remove with a seam ripper if the patch needs to go on another shirt or just looks crooked or you need to rearrange patches so more fit in the space. I use a glue stick or staples to hold the patch while I sew. I use staples to hold temporary patches, too. Staple from the back so only the two little folded-over ends are visible, it's pretty discrete.

My kids sew their own patches when they are 12 or so, usually by hand.

egoldber
10-22-2012, 08:04 AM
I've used a hot glue gun when I am in a hurry with good success, but it doesn't last forever. I think it may somewhat depend on the quality of the glue and if you are patient enough :o to wait for it to get super hot.

But sewing them on is by far the most reliable method.

ETA: And maybe this is terrible, but I never really bother to match the thread color to the badge. The badges are usually multi-color anyway and I am careful to sew along the edge so that the stitch is kind of "buried" next to the thick edge stitching on the badge. Also I have usually have a stack of 5 or 6 to sew on at once and I am too lazy to switch colors in between badges. Truly, you can't really tell.

Corie
10-22-2012, 08:22 AM
My daughter's GS troop leader sews on the badges for our troop.

My son's Cub Scout leader sews on DS's badges for me. She is a
good friend of mine and I don't have a sewing machine.

I used to take my daughter's vest for an alteration shop in town and
I paid to have the badges sewn on.

stillplayswithbarbies
10-22-2012, 10:40 AM
I use the badge glue, but if I were sewing it would be by hand with a whipstitch around the edge of the badge, so I would be matching the thread to the badge edge color. That's how I learned it in Girl Scouts when I was a kid a long long time ago.

I don't ever wash her sash/vest so I don't worry about the glue. So far it hasn't gotten dirty.

Pear
10-22-2012, 11:56 AM
Gutterman makes a good clear thread. It is he default thread on my sewing machine. I do switch out for quality mending or big projects, but it is perfect for quick things. I don't have a scout yet, but I think it would work well for badges.

jerseygirl
10-22-2012, 11:27 PM
DD 1 and 2 are both in girl scouts and I used both badge magic and then hand sew them. The badge magic holds them in place until I get around to hand sewing them - usually enough to last a meeting or two. I try to match the thread but some of the badges (the fun patches mostly) have various colors on their borders. I find that pulling the thread taut enough allows it to "disappear" below the embroidery. Might be more work, but I hated basted since the final hand sew always managed to come out crooked.

ladysoapmaker
10-23-2012, 09:42 AM
I use whatever thread I have in the sewing machine. If I'm feeling really nice, I do try to match the top thread but I rarely can because the badges are so colorful. Guterman does carry a nice clear thread, which I haven't tried to use to sew badges on yet but I think that will happen this week. (I generally use it to attach ribbon trim to blankets)

Jen

egoldber
10-23-2012, 09:44 AM
What is the badge glue that people are using? Is it different from a hot glue gun? I now have two vests to sew patches on.

hellokitty
10-23-2012, 11:44 AM
DS1 has been in cub scouts for three yrs and I am embarrassed to admit that other than DH hand sewing the patches on his uniform, we have yet to actually sew any patches on DS1's vest. Now DS2 is starting scouts too. At this point, I am thinking about hiring someone to do it. I suck at sewing and DH said it's a pita. Mil is a retired seamstress, but I know she will refuse to help us.

bnme
10-23-2012, 12:01 PM
This is it
http://www.badgemagic.com/ (http://www.badgemagic.com/)

It has worked great for me. I actually just ripped badges off of the shirt DS outgrew and ironed them on the new on. The hold does seem a little sketchy this time. But they lasted 2 years on the first shirt.

stillplayswithbarbies
10-23-2012, 02:37 PM
What is the badge glue that people are using? Is it different from a hot glue gun? I now have two vests to sew patches on.

I went to WalMart craft section and got "fabric glue". I think this is it

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/01/77/54/23/0001775423473_300X300.jpg

mom_of_gia
10-23-2012, 10:11 PM
I have a daughter in the Brownies and I've attached her badges by ironing. I've heard others say that they can't get their badges to stay on that way, but I followed the instructions on the patch packaging and they all look very secure to me.

She's worn the vest more than a dozen times, but I haven't washed it. I can't even get the patches or badges to peel a little bit.

What problems have you had with ironing on the GS badges?

Also, this is her last (second) year as a Brownie - so she'll probably wear it maybe 10 more times.

Thanks,
d