PDA

View Full Version : Resume help/confidence builder

tabegle
10-22-2012, 10:07 AM
Oops - Mods, please move to the lounge. Thanks!

I need advise. (long)

I'm really am not happy with my employment situation right now. I've been in the industry for about 10 years, and the last 8 with the same company. Two years ago, they moved about 90% of our jobs out of state and I'm really feeling like they are trying to get the rest of us to quit.

However, I'm pretty lucky where I'm at. I get good benefits (I carry health insurance, DH doesn't even have that option), work from home 50% of the time, and when the kids are sick, they are pretty flexible with letting me work crazy late hours.

My office is 70 minutes away, and there is talk about making me work in the office 1 more day a week.

I also inadvertently got to see everyone's salaries four years ago. I know I am a "bargain" employee for them.

I need to find a new job and I need a few pointers.
1) Is it still a bad idea to have a resume that is longer than one page? Or is it pretty common?
2) I am pretty apprehensive about even updating my resume. When I read what my current job description is, I'm like "whoa, I do all that?! No way!" I don't feel confident translating my job description to relate-able tasks with "key words". Any advise there?
3) Confidence - I think I need a general confidence builder.

I've not really felt like I'm coming from a positive place lately and I need help with that in order to really make a good difference. I would really appreciate any help/pointers you can help with.

Thank you!

BabbyO
10-22-2012, 12:24 PM
Well, I feel your pain. I'm trying to get my resume out there, too.

1. It totally depends on your field, I think, with respect to the length of your resume. What is acceptable for your line of work. I'm an engineer and I feel strongly that a single page resume is necessary, UNLESS I had more than 20+ years experience. And even then it would have to be something special.

My husbands field routinely sees multiple page resumes AND routinely have webpages that outline their work.

I'm struggling with your #2 item, too...so I'll keep an eye out.

3. Confidence is definitely key. Can you take a course at a local community college, or something similar that is related to your field that might boost your confidence. Is there a career center near by that you can use their resources. Sometimes just talking to someone about what you are capable of can help build your confidence.

You may be a "Bargain" employee...but bargain or not, I don't know to many places that are going to keep someone (esp with benefits) who isn't performing for them. Especially with the abundance of potential replacements....Know who you are and why you're important to your organization. You weren't cut. Why? What is it about what you do that made you one of the essentials that they couldn't move?? Focus on that if you need help building your confidence.

Good luck!

wellyes
10-22-2012, 12:31 PM
One confidence builder for me was taking about 12 common interview questions, and taking the time to write out complete answers. That process helped me really think through my strengths. And interviews are all about putting your best self forward; selling yourself to others helps you sell yourself to yourself! Plus, when I have had interviews, I am able to pull out those answers. My verbal answers aren't as good, I always miss a point or two, but having that framework to draw from really helps.

tabegle
10-24-2012, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the advise. I couldn't shrink my resume to one page without shrinking the margins and line spacing ridiculously small, decreasing font size, etc. So I changed everything back. I'm at a page and a third.

I scoured the net and learned a few things: Georgia font was designed to be read on screens and is available on all computers and line spacing should be at 120%.

Too bad I accidentally posted this on the pregnancy board and it wasn't moved to the lounge for more traffic.

ett
10-24-2012, 05:16 PM
I just saw this now and moved it to Lounge.

Bumping for you for more traffic.

citymama
10-24-2012, 07:52 PM
I do a lot of hiring with my job and I rarely come across one-page resumes any more - even the most junior job applicants seem to think it's OK to fill two pages! I think one is GREAT but 2 is quite accepted too. It might vary by sector, though.

Oh, and please lead with education. It drives me nuts when people bury it at the end of page 2. I don't care how many years of experience you have, I do want to know where you went to school and what degrees you left with!

I'm not sure how to help with confidence building. I wonder if you can lobby internally for a raise? I respect employees who can speak up for themselves and ask for a raise, except in cases where they're slackers. The squeaky wheel gets the grease!

ncat
10-25-2012, 07:15 AM
For #3 - I have several friends who have recommended this book - http://www.amazon.com/Ask-For-It-Negotiation-Really/dp/0553383752

There are exercises to practice negotiating, starting with things that matter less than your salary, career, etc.