PDA

View Full Version : How can I stop my alarm???

wendmatt
10-22-2012, 12:56 PM
OMG there is this high pitched screaming going on in my house and I have no idea how to make it stop. We don't have alarm service, but the noise is coming from the alarm box in the kitchen. Could it be battery? Is there such a thing? Is it broken? Anyone experience this, I am pulling my hair out and have a headache!

Blue Hydrangea
10-22-2012, 12:57 PM
Is there a brand name or service name anywhere on the alarm box that you could track down a phone number for?

ETA- Another idea- can you shut off the breaker to the outlet zone that the box is wired in to? Might not work great in the kitchen, but I'd deal with no power to some stuff to stop the alarm until you find out how to turn it off.

ellies mom
10-22-2012, 01:14 PM
Can you open the box?

It is a possibility that it works like a hardwired smoke detector with a battery back-up and maybe the battery is dead and it is letting you know.

I would imagine that there is a cut-off switch somewhere inside but without seeing it, it is kind of hard to make recommendations. So I would start with trying to open it up and taking a peek. If there is a battery replace it. If there is a switch, flip it.

mikeys_mom
10-22-2012, 01:16 PM
When we moved into our house it had an alarm but we never used it. Never bothered to figure out a code or get a service. One day we came home and the alarm was blaring but we could not find a way to turn it off. I went down to the electrical panel to try and shut it down but I guess for security reasons you can't shut it off.

We ended up just yanking the darn thing out of the wall. Had to pull off the control panel thing as well as pull the wire out of the foghorn thingy that was going off at the top of the stairs. DH is not particularly electrical savvy so he just put on a pair of rubber dishwashing gloves and yanked it, hoping for the best and not getting electrocuded :).

Hopefully you can find a more graceful way to get yours off.

infomama
10-22-2012, 01:16 PM
Start flipping fuses...something will shut the power off to it (if its hard wired)

TwoBees
10-22-2012, 01:18 PM
Smash it with a baseball bat?

I kid...I kid...

wendmatt
10-22-2012, 01:21 PM
Thanks, I didn't see a breaker that connected to the alarm, but I like your idea of shutting down the kitchen.....OK, tried that and it didn't work! I called the number on the box in DH's closet and she told me unscrew the box and to take out the battery, so finally it stopped, thank goodness by head is pounding!

kristac
10-22-2012, 02:52 PM
Glad you got it to stop. Previous owners had an alarm but we never armed or activated it- didn't have the code. 5 YEARS later it started going off at 3:00 AM saying the backdoor was open (there is no sensor on the back door because it was part of an addition). DH eventually took a hammer to it and that worked :P

wendmatt
10-22-2012, 03:34 PM
LOL, I nearly took a hammer to mine today. I don't think we'll bother getting a new battery, we don't use it and I don't want that happening again!