PDA

View Full Version : When and which diapers and wipes to get??

Jupiter
10-22-2012, 02:38 PM
I want to find the cheapest diapers that actually work. I have a bjs, Walmart, BRU, and target very close. A SAMs and Costco not to far away. What types do you all recommend and where to go to save money.

Also when should I start buying diapers and wipes and how many?

OKKiddo
10-22-2012, 02:50 PM
Love the Costco Kirkland diapers and wipes. If you're not going to cloth diaper (cheapest option, lol) then you can safely go with those. My kiddos all broke out in horrible rashes after the Pampers and Drymax fiasco.

SnuggleBuggles
10-22-2012, 02:51 PM
I wouldn't recommend buying much ahead of time. Different brands are cut differently. Plus, you won't know for sure what size (though, even my 9.5lb baby wore newborn sized for a month). Finally, odds are you'll get some as gifts or your place of birth. I'd have like 1 pack of newborns and one pack of size 1s on hand.

Consider the "natural" diapers too. Yeah, they cost a little more but they work well and don't have questionable chemicals. I liked Earth's Best, 7th Gen. and Whole Foods' brand. Lots of other places to save money to do that tradeoff, ime. ;)

Unscented wipes are good. We usually used one of the above brands or Pampers.

lizzywednesday
10-22-2012, 03:19 PM
I wouldn't recommend buying much ahead of time. Different brands are cut differently. Plus, you won't know for sure what size (though, even my 9.5lb baby wore newborn sized for a month). Finally, odds are you'll get some as gifts or your place of birth. I'd have like 1 pack of newborns and one pack of size 1s on hand.

Consider the "natural" diapers too. Yeah, they cost a little more but they work well and don't have questionable chemicals. I liked Earth's Best, 7th Gen. and Whole Foods' brand. Lots of other places to save money to do that tradeoff, ime. ;)

Unscented wipes are good. We usually used one of the above brands or Pampers.

:yeahthat:

Pampers work fine for my sister & SIL, but they gave my DD a HORRIFIC rash in the hospital.

Luvs didn't work for us, either. (More rashes.)

As for wipes, I'm allergic to fragrances, so everything had to be dye-and-fragrance-free for me to be able to use it.

We are fine with Huggies 'round these parts with the occasional Kirkland because her daycare teachers couldn't find her Huggies. She's worn Pampers once or twice because the teachers got confused and she's gotten a rash each time.

We have also used Earth's Best, Fisher Price and Target's Up&Up to varying degrees of success, though we haven't used Up&Up since they changed recently.

As for wipes, we did fine with Target Up&UP in the purple package until I priced it out and realized I got a better deal with Earth's Best using Subscribe & Save and Amazon Mom from Amazon.

This may or may not be the best deal once Amazon starts charging sales tax next June, but, for now, it's fine. (Also, by next June we may not need wipes anymore!)

jerigirl
10-22-2012, 03:25 PM
Look in your Costco coupon mailers. It seems every issue either the Huggies or Kirkland boxes are on sale. Switching each time the coupons go out. I usually get whatever is on sale when I am there. I don't see a difference between the two brands.

rin
10-22-2012, 03:38 PM
Seconding the advice not to buy in advance, if you deliver at a hospital you'll likely get a package or two of diapers from the hospital room which can tide you over at the beginning. We used Pampers Swaddlers up to size 2, then we used Huggies Snug n Dry for sizes 3 & 4. We bought/buy ours from Amazon subscribe & save, which is still a pretty good deal even if it's not as cheap as it used to be.

But you really won't know what works for your baby until s/he arrives; babies' butts are shaped differently, so some diapers leak like crazy on some babies and are great on others, plus some babies have really sensitive skin (meaning you have to be picky about which brands) and others don't (my kids have never had any sort of reactions to any brand of diapers).

specialp
10-22-2012, 04:20 PM
Agree on not buying in bulk in advance. What works for one baby doesn't work for another. You can buy small packages of different brands. Amazon S&S so far has had the best namebrand deals, but not great, and then Sam's or Costco.

trcy
11-05-2012, 01:26 PM
Add me to the list of don’t get too many diapers ahead of time. I found Huggies to leak almost every time DD wore them; Pampers were no problem. Others have had the opposite experience. I used to like Target diapers, but then they changed. After the change many posters had rash issues; I had leaking issues with the new Target diapers. We currently used Sam’s (Simply Right) diapers and wipes. I think the smallest size they come in are size 3. The wipes are hypoallergenic and fragrance free; recently the box of wipes has had a sample diaper in it as well. You may want to get a small package of a few different brands to see what works best.

catsnkid
11-05-2012, 03:19 PM
I usually got an okay deal on Luvs and pampers wipes at bjs. The Bjs wipes are fine too, the ones that come in a green package. Cosco wipes are fine but they are a little far for me. I hate Huggies wipes.To start I would buy or register for diapers, maybe a few different brands get 100 newborn (with receipt) and 500 regular ones. My friend likes the Bj's brand and I have heard good things about cosco diapers here, that they are basically Huggies. I did notice less rash issues with the pure and natural Huggies. (they had just come out when DS was a baby so their were lots of coupons). I would usually bring the cheaper dipes to daycare (as they change every 2 hours I don't worry about leaks). I found Huggies to be less leaky and better for newborn blowouts then pampers.

BabbyO
11-05-2012, 04:09 PM
We used both costco Kirkland dipes and Sam's club Simply Right dipes. I like them both. Caveats:
-Sam's Simply Right - only available in larger sizes. We had to get Huggies or Pampers for the NB - 2, or get DH's parents to get us Kirlands. The Sam's diapers seem to be cut/fit similarly to Huggies to me. Work well and inexpensive.
-Kirkland - Available in smaller sizes. Slightly smaller cut/fit than Huggies/Simply Right. Work well and inexpensive.

I like both kirkland and Simply right wipes equally. Pricing is similar.

For me what does it is that at Sam's I have my diapers (any brand) delivered to my door free! Baby items such as diapers and wipes can be purchased online and delivered with NO SHIPPING. I LOVE this feature and use it all the time. You do have to plan a little because the shipping can take up to a week or so...but we've always had them within 3-5 days. Not having to make that extra trip is SO wonderful.

Liziz
11-06-2012, 12:04 AM
I'd suggest you buy a couple very small packages of newborn diapers, and one or two small packages of size 1 -- get a couple different brands. There's no way to know what brand will work well for your baby....and it changes by size, too! For instance, we tried Luv's in Size 1, and they were awful (we called them "baby thongs" because they seemed *so* narrow). But now, in size 3, they work fine, it's a totally different fit.

But, if you're looking for what worked for us -- we like Pampers Swaddlers best (used for NB, Size 1, 2, and now 3). For NB and Size 1, nothing else we tried worked great. Now with Size 3, I've started to try some of the cheaper brands....don't like any as much, but I switch between the cheaper and the Swaddlers now (the cheaper seem to cause diaper rash if I use them exclusively, but are okay intermixed). For wipes, I've been very happy with the Target purple package (sensitive skin)...DD reacts to almost any other wipe we've tried if it's used consistently.

BabbyO
11-06-2012, 10:57 AM
FWIW...you may want to get brands OTHER than pampers. Our hospital always has Pampers and uses them...YOu could check if you're not sure.

Also...take any diapers in the room home with you when you leave the hospital!!!

lmr1101
11-06-2012, 01:08 PM
Just something to think about, but I like the Babies R Us wipes. Since I started looking for wipes in 2008 every Black Friday they put their cases (6 packages) on sale for $5 a box!!!

I've tried a lot of other brands of wipes and always end up going back to these. I usually bring one other person to the store with me on Black Friday and get 6 boxes (limit 3 per person). They will usually last me about 6 months.

citymama
11-06-2012, 02:04 PM
Don't buy now. You can buy a packet of NB dipes to have at home but the hospital should give you lots of dipes and wipes on your way out. Take a big garbage bag or a few large cloth bags to stock up!

Make sure you sign up for Amazon Mom free trial once the baby arrives (not sooner because the free Prime only lasts for 3 months). Then you can do subscribe and save subscriptions for dipes and wipes at a 20% discount.

With DD1 we did Pampers dipers and wipes bc that's what they gave us at the hospital (and Pampers Swaddlers are really great). With DD2 once she outgrew the Swaddlers we switched to Seventh Generation and Nature Baby Care diapers. Chlorine free and no added perfumes and junk. We use Earth's Best wipes which are excellent.

Liziz
11-06-2012, 10:25 PM
FWIW...you may want to get brands OTHER than pampers. Our hospital always has Pampers and uses them...YOu could check if you're not sure.

Also...take any diapers in the room home with you when you leave the hospital!!!

....the hospital I delivered at had all Huggies!

Jupiter
11-06-2012, 10:37 PM
get 6 boxes (limit 3 per person). They will usually last me about 6 months.

So a box a month?? Do you need to get there early?

Babies R Us Unscented Club Wipes 432 ct. Box. These?

lmr1101
11-08-2012, 04:35 PM
I average about a box a month. I always get there around 4-5am, but that's because I start there and then hurry to the mall! I wouldn't be surprised if there are still there later in the day since I'm usually the only one in that section - everyone else is over in the toy dept.

"Babies R Us Unscented Club Wipes 432 ct. Box. These? "
Those are the ones. Sometimes I buy scented, but mostly unscented. The scented aren't a strong smell and luckily my dd don't seem to mind either way.

candaceb
11-09-2012, 12:25 AM
So a box a month?? Do you need to get there early?

Babies R Us Unscented Club Wipes 432 ct. Box. These?

I would not go buy a case of any kind of wipes until you know what kind of baby you get. One of my friends stocked up on cases and cases of various wipes while she was pg, and all of them give her baby horrible rashes. She ended up using cloth wipes and when I was at her house last week she had the cases of wipes stacked up to take to a donation center for victims of Sandy.

You could also end up having issues with certain kinds of wipes - that's what happened to me. I had HORRIBLE eczema on my hand and tried everything to get rid of it. My derm finally sat down and went through every thing I was touching on a regular basis and we focused on the hypoallergenic, unscented, sensitive skin wipes I had been using for almost 2 years at that point. I did chemical skin patch testing and it turned out that I was allergic to 1 thing and it was an ingredient in those !@@$%% wipes. Quit using the wipes and my hands cleared up in 2 weeks.

AngB
11-19-2012, 04:54 PM
I would not go buy a case of any kind of wipes until you know what kind of baby you get. One of my friends stocked up on cases and cases of various wipes while she was pg, and all of them give her baby horrible rashes. She ended up using cloth wipes and when I was at her house last week she had the cases of wipes stacked up to take to a donation center for victims of Sandy.

You could also end up having issues with certain kinds of wipes - that's what happened to me. I had HORRIBLE eczema on my hand and tried everything to get rid of it. My derm finally sat down and went through every thing I was touching on a regular basis and we focused on the hypoallergenic, unscented, sensitive skin wipes I had been using for almost 2 years at that point. I did chemical skin patch testing and it turned out that I was allergic to 1 thing and it was an ingredient in those !@@$%% wipes. Quit using the wipes and my hands cleared up in 2 weeks.
:yeahthat:

Both of my boys have gotten horrible rashes from the BRU unscented wipes. DS1 didn't do well with the Costco sensitive wipes either. I wouldn't buy a case of anything yet.

AnnieW625
11-23-2012, 11:45 PM
Just seeing this now, but I wouldn't stock up on diapers now either. Both of my girls who have über sensitive skin did fine with Huggies Supreme unscented wipes, Pampers Swaddlers Sensitive wipes, BRUS unscented wipes (although I liked them better when I used them with DD1), and Kirkland wipes. My favorites were probably Huggies, but they were hard to find and or more expensive. We have also used Target wipes on occassion.

Diaper wise DD1 used Pampers Swaddlers until she was 7 months old or so and then used Pampers Cruisers for a bit, but got horrible rashes from them. We first then tried Huggies Snug N Dry, but at just over a year she would take them off as soon as she peed in them. We then switched to Seventh Generation or Costco diapers depending on the price. With DD2 she started off in cloth, and then we switched to Seventh Generation and used those until on a whim at 16 months old I decided to do cloth again. We still use either 7th Gen., Huggies Little Movers, or Costco diapers.