PDA

View Full Version : Buying an older smart phone?

bisous
10-22-2012, 03:49 PM
Any reason not to buy an older iphone? Both the 3 and the 4 are VERY affordable right now! I need a new phone as my current phone is selectively choosing not to pick up certain calls. I don't NEED a smart phone but I figure for 99 cents I can get an iphone 4 (I can get a cheap data plan for an additional $10 or so a month).

What are the disadvantages of getting an older phone?

On the other hand, is it worth it to let DH (who uses his phone for business) upgrade to the 5 and I can commandeer his 4s? Will HE be wanting a new phone now? He works in an industry where technological savvy is very important.

What would you buy?

I'm trying to be frugal and while I think I would use a smart phone, I cannot honestly say that I NEED it.

TIA!

smiles33
10-22-2012, 04:05 PM
I believe the problem with 3GS is that the newest operating system won't work on it without severe compromises due to lower capacity/memory issues. That's why I never upgraded my 3GS to the new OS and I am upgrading to the 5 primarily as well. How do you plan to use a smartphone? If you're just looking to check email and surf the web, without using any apps, then a 4 should be good for a year or two until the next generation of software upgrades come out.

squimp
10-22-2012, 04:18 PM
I have a 4 and plan to use it until it dies. Not a fan of the wastefulness of constantly upgrading. I do wish I had Siri but it's not that important.

codex57
10-22-2012, 04:28 PM
Any reason not to buy an older iphone? Both the 3 and the 4 are VERY affordable right now! I need a new phone as my current phone is selectively choosing not to pick up certain calls. I don't NEED a smart phone but I figure for 99 cents I can get an iphone 4 (I can get a cheap data plan for an additional $10 or so a month).

What are the disadvantages of getting an older phone?

On the other hand, is it worth it to let DH (who uses his phone for business) upgrade to the 5 and I can commandeer his 4s? Will HE be wanting a new phone now? He works in an industry where technological savvy is very important.

What would you buy?

I'm trying to be frugal and while I think I would use a smart phone, I cannot honestly say that I NEED it.

TIA!

That's the only reason that I'd recommend letting him upgrade, unless you have to shell out extra money to do so.

Don't get the 3GS. Too outdated now. Even the 4 is limited somewhat by the new iOS 6, but I think is perfectly adequate for your use. The lowest I'd go is the 4, but if you're eligible for an upgrade, take the 5 and commandeer the 4S.

bisous
10-22-2012, 04:50 PM
I'll discuss this with DH. I'm a little concerned about entering the smart phone technology race. I feel like if I start buying into this, I'm going to be adding an expense every year from now on. Maybe this is irrational but maybe I should just buy a regular phone?

codex57
10-22-2012, 04:59 PM
I'll discuss this with DH. I'm a little concerned about entering the smart phone technology race. I feel like if I start buying into this, I'm going to be adding an expense every year from now on. Maybe this is irrational but maybe I should just buy a regular phone?

No, it's a concern. I dunno about every year. Maybe every other year.

When we got our first smartphones, it was a world changing experience. Dunno how we lived without it. Started texting, surfing the web, etc. It only exploded once we got iPhones because the iPhone is so much better than the smartphones we had been using (Blackberries and Windows Mobile).

I think there's something to be said for remaining blissfully ignorant.

karstmama
10-22-2012, 08:21 PM
my 4 is working fine, though i purposefully haven't upgraded the system.

yeah, once you start i'd say you need to keep up every couple of years. but yeah, it's worth it!

wellyes
10-22-2012, 08:43 PM
Love my 4. No plans to upgrade until I have to.

What is this $10 data plan??

bisous
10-22-2012, 09:32 PM
What is this $10 data plan??

This is what DH says it will cost. Note: he majorly wants me to upgrade to a smart phone! Still, I plan on keeping my current texting plan which costs me $5 per month. I have a corporate discount on my AT&T plan and DH thinks it will only cost about $10 a month for data. We'll have to see...

smiles33
10-23-2012, 12:09 AM
Sounds feasible to me. I have an employer discount as well for an iPhone 4s I got for my mom that I pay for. I pay $36/month total to AT&T for the lowest data plan and voice plan. Not sure if data is only $10/month but it's a great plan and perfect for low users.

Also, re: the cycle of upgrading: I have had my 3GS for 2.5 years and I think that's long enough. There is the incentive to upgrade every 2 years (new 2 year contract means reduced cost phone), but you could always skip the upgrade.

codex57
10-23-2012, 01:03 PM
I believe AT&T's lowest data plan is $10, but it's a horrible value. That said, if you never use it and are on a budget...

Typically, employer discounts don't affect the data plan. Just the initial account (the voice part for the main line).