PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Away from DCs - Fun or Relaxing?

kara97210
10-22-2012, 03:50 PM
We have an anniversary coming up and for the first time since my DD was born (18 months ago) we are planning on going away for a couple of days. We both travel a lot (separately) for work, but are uncomfortable both being a plane flight away until the kids are a little older. We are in the Seattle area (so unfortunately no sunny options without flying) and we’ve narrowed it down to 2 options.

Option 1: Vancouver BC – we both love Vancouver, we could walk around, shop, eat at great restaurants, go to a play, etc.

Option 2: San Juan Islands – this would be totally relaxing, just hanging out, depending on the weather we would maybe rent bikes one day or not, etc.

elektra
10-22-2012, 04:08 PM
I would pick Vancouver, just because it's more grownup stuff that you want to do. You can actually do a beach vacation with kids and everyone has fun. But you can't really shop, go to plays, or just walk around the city without "activities" with kids.

egoldber
10-22-2012, 04:09 PM
:yeahthat:

urquie
10-22-2012, 05:34 PM
You'll find more sun, east of the mountains, and avoid extra travel time from crossing the border or waiting for the ferry. :-)

For relaxing, wine tasting and the great outdoors...
- http://www.suncadiaresort.com/washington-state-resorts.php - about 90 minutes drive and a nice Sunday brunch.

- http://www.cavebinn.com/ - They have great food and wine and cliff house rooms are fabulous! Two hour drive.

Or how about the Leavenworth area?
http://www.sleepinglady.com/

sunshine873
10-22-2012, 05:51 PM
I would pick Vancouver, just because it's more grownup stuff that you want to do. You can actually do a beach vacation with kids and everyone has fun. But you can't really shop, go to plays, or just walk around the city without "activities" with kids.

:yeahthat: Exactly. We just went away for DHs birthday and did all the things we can't do with DD. Rode the motorcycle, went out to a nice dinner, sat at a bar listening to music and stayed in a B&B. It was the perfect weekend getaway.

HannaAddict
10-22-2012, 07:41 PM
From your choices, I would vote Vancouver. Love, love, love Vancouver without kids and with kids. It is a great city. I would not do the San Juans since it takes so long to get there and back, dealing with the ferry and not much to do and I don't think the resorts are that nice (even Rosario) and love the food scene in Vancouver.

But I would strongly consider Suncadia Resort in Roslyn/Cle Elum, WA. The lodge is lovely, get a river view room, wear a big fuzzy hotel robe and pad down to the pool and hot tub (still heated as of last weekend) overlooking the river and stop and get a cocktail on the way (they will put whatever you want in a pool safe cup). Hit the Swiftwater Cellars Winery in the resort and have apps or dinner and drinks. They have live music and fun scene on the weekend, the shuttle will take you back to the lodge. I finally tried the spa and it is really, really nice. And I am picky. They have single sex or co-ed mineral hot pools to relax in, quiet rooms, saunas, etc. and with any service you have a day pass and can lounge around sans kids. I had a great manicure pedicure complete with good champagne there when we were at a conference in September. Really nice. And I love that it is a quick drive from Seattle, an hour and twenty minutes or hour and a half even with traffic in town. Roslyn and Cle Elum are both cute towns too with good coffee (Pioneer Coffee). It is still fall but much bluer and sunnier skies than Seattle generally speaking.

So, Suncadia or Vancouver would be my votes. Have fun!!

infomama
10-22-2012, 07:43 PM
Not that I don't love beach vacations but Vancouver sounds awesome. Vancouver sounds relaxing and fun!

TwinFoxes
10-22-2012, 07:55 PM

Sums it up perfectly.

sntm
10-22-2012, 10:42 PM
Vancouver or Suncadia. San Juan's will be ugly right now given our weather. Sequim might be nicer though

jenfromnj
10-22-2012, 10:49 PM

I agree with this, too. And really, doing all of these things with no kids WILL be relaxing as well as fun!

kara97210
10-23-2012, 12:32 AM
Thanks so much for the suggestions!

We decided to head up to Vancouver for the weekend, but I am going to plan a Suncadia weekend too. I have a couple of good friends who live in central/Eastern Washington (Tri-cities and Walla Walla), we are always looking for places to meet in-between and it looks like the perfect place for a girls weekend. Thanks!

KDsMommy
10-23-2012, 09:24 AM

:yeahthat: Love Vancouver and I think it would be a great mix of both fun and relaxing.

urquie
10-23-2012, 11:09 AM
I have a couple of good friends who live in central/Eastern Washington (Tri-cities and Walla Walla), we are always looking for places to meet in-between and it looks like the perfect place for a girls weekend. Thanks!

It's also fun for kids, with the indoor, 3 story pool slides. :).

There are lots of different accommodations as well, regular hotel rooms, along with rental condos and houses. Suncadia rents out many of them, but you can also get beautiful units off VRBO and Craigslist.

HannaAddict
10-23-2012, 11:33 AM
It's also fun for kids, with the indoor, 3 story pool slides. :).

There are lots of different accommodations as well, regular hotel rooms, along with rental condos and houses. Suncadia rents out many of them, but you can also get beautiful units off VRBO and Craigslist.

Warning though, if you rent off of VRBO you cannot use the swim club facilities and we've had friends with very disappointed kids. If just adults go want wine food spa and golf, then no biggie. But the pools and slides are only available through the resort and people don't expect that.

urquie
10-23-2012, 12:58 PM
Warning though, if you rent off of VRBO you cannot use the swim club facilities and we've had friends with very disappointed kids. If just adults go want wine food spa and golf, then no biggie. But the pools and slides are only available through the resort and people don't expect that.

Yes to all that... and if you rent a vacation home through suncadia, you pay a per person, daily use fee. It includes use of the pools and shuttle van service through out the resort ( and maybe rental bikes).