PDA

View Full Version : Gerbils - do we really need 2?

randomkid
10-22-2012, 11:59 PM
I posted a week or so ago about getting DD a small pet, then pretty much decided against it. But...today, I was in the pet store getting dog food and they had the cutest little baby gerbil. He was snuggling up with another one, but I really didn't want 2. I talked to the store manager and she said they can do well alone and males tend to fight. I had them hold the little one for me, but didn't put a hold on the other one he was buddied up with. They had them BOGO because they accidentally over ordered and only had 3 left. I decided to think about it and left. Went back with DD and when we walked in, a lady was buying the other 2. I knew then that I regretted not having them hold both for me. So, here we are with one male gerbil (obvious even though he is young) and I feel terrible. I have been reading more and I've read that a solitary gerbil may not thrive. DD emailed her teacher(an animal lover who has had many gerbils, but all female) who also suggested we get another.

So, if you have/had gerbils, did you have one or two? If only one, did it do ok or no? Do I really need to go get another one? If I do, I'm going to be annoyed because I could've paid for one and gotten two, now I'll have to pay double - stupid me! The BOGO at this store was "while supplies last" - ugh! And, it was apparent that these 2 males were getting along. If I just go get another random male, they may not. I'll have to find another really young one which may be difficult.

HannaAddict
10-23-2012, 12:31 AM
The second grade teacher said gerbils like to be in pairs, it was in the taking care of gerbils packet that came home with the gerbils for a weekend. I've really only seen gerbils in pairs as pets, though seen lone hamsters. Good luck looking for friend!

KLD313
10-23-2012, 12:33 AM
I've always thought gerbils did better in pairs.