PDA

View Full Version : Age for AG Doll?

MamaMolly
10-23-2012, 09:18 AM
Lula (6yo) has started to mention wanting an AG doll. She plays with her baby dolls and barbies, so I think she'd enjoy one. Is this the right age or would you wait?

Clarity
10-23-2012, 09:23 AM
My 4yo is begging for one this year and I had thought I'd get both of my girls one. They're 4yo and 6yo. I hope that's not too young, I'd hate to disappoint her.

Seitvonzu
10-23-2012, 09:28 AM
for the historicals? i think i'd wait until 7 for sure. i think 7 is pretty much the age recommended for the bigger dolls (it definitely used to be, there is something developmentally magically about 7 for most kids that makes them able to take better care of things and appreciate them more than younger kids, plus still plenty of time left for doll play)

brittone2
10-23-2012, 09:30 AM
I know most people feel older is better. However, DD got a Gotz 18 inch doll (from a co-op years ago, so it was like $30 OOP for me) when she started sleeping in her own bed at age 3. She took very good care of it considering her age, which made me more open to earlier vs. later. Last year for her 5th bday we took her to AG to pick out a doll when we tagged along on a business trip with DH. It was in lieu of a party, etc. so we wanted to make it a really fun experience for her. She has taken excellent care of her doll and plays with her just like me doll nearly every day.

She had read a few of the AG books, but not many, when she got her doll. I think that's why she chose a "just like you" doll vs. a historical doll. This year as part of our HSing co-op, the kids are all reading the AG books and those are being tied in with some other study of American history. So we've worked through several sets of the dolls' books now, and as a result she's now *much* more into the historical dolls. Last year she wasn't really into them.

For Christmas this year, she really wants Kit.

I do steer her toward dolls that have hair that is easier to care for at her age. Same with the Just Like You doll...she picked one with really wavy hair and I suggested straight hair would be easier for her to maintain at her young age.

My very close friend has 3 dds. Her 8 and 5 yos are VERY into AG, and they do a good job of caring for them. I totally get that not all kids that age would connect w/ the stories or be able to care well for them. Both of her older two girls read the books independently and fell in love with the characters...the 5 yo reads them well and adores the stories.

Clarity
10-23-2012, 09:37 AM
DD2 (4yo) wants McKenna, I think that she's girl of the year this year? She definitely has long wavy hair, I could try a similar looking "just like me" doll though, she may not realize the difference yet.

Melaine
10-23-2012, 10:00 AM
I'm debating this right now. DDs just turned 6. I have my Samantha doll and an identical one I found at a yard sale. They are in great shape. Samantha is really special to me because I wanted her so badly for years and finally got her when I was 12. They take good care of their toys, but I am thinking about delaying the gift because I think falling in love with the books is what makes the dolls SO special. We have read a couple, but it has been a year or so. I think I will try again before Christmas and see how it goes. I want to give them at the perfect point, and as excited as I am I kind of think waiting one more year might be better.

KrisM
10-23-2012, 10:20 AM
DD was 5 when she got one and then she got Kanani on her 6th birthday. Definitely not too young, in general. DD has taken very good care of her dolls. She knows to only use the doll brush. She keeps their hair brushed nicely, although I help every couple weeks. She's never dragged them along or anything. She does great.

DD never played with baby dolls and rarely plays with barbies. She had a toddler Corolle doll at 3 and liked that well enough. She loves her AG dolls.

katydid1971
10-23-2012, 10:47 AM
I got a PBK Gotz doll with a 15% off coupon for either Christmas or her birthday this year (I have decided which yet). She is 4 1/2. I agree with pp that I wouldn't get her a historic doll yet but one of the regular 18 inch I think would be fine.
(I think the PBK dolls are so cute and Gotz are great dolls)
http://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/gotz-doll-collection/?pkey=dgirls-toys

Neatfreak
10-23-2012, 10:53 AM
DD1 received a historical doll for Christmas when she was six. She did not have difficulty with the clothes, keeping the doll's hair tidy, or handling it with care. She listened to the books about her doll (and others, really) on audiobook. She didn't get into reading chapter books (AG ones or otherwise) until she was seven, but I don't think that her getting a historical doll at age six was a mis-step at all. I'm actually really curious about that reason are that some of the other posters here would discourage it?

MMMommy
10-23-2012, 08:42 PM
DDs were ages 6 and 5 when they each got their AG doll two years ago. We were in L.A., went to the store, and let them pick one out as a big trip treat.

BUT, those two AG dolls sat in their toy bins and got no play whatsoever until just a couple of months ago. So now, two years later, both DDs are VERY into their AG dolls, grooming them, making small crafts for their AG dolls and reading the AG books. So for my DDs, the age of true interest ended up being ages 7 and 8.

cuca_
10-23-2012, 08:47 PM
DD1 got her first American Girl (Kitt) from my dear Aunt when she was 2. It was definitely too young, but I have to say that that doll has been well loved. DD2 got her first one around 4, and she has always done really well with them. I would not get one with long hair (especially curly) at that age, however, I think the ones with shorter hair are perfectly appropriate. Our AGs have always gotten a lot of play!! BTW, I think they have a free shipping code right now.

infomama
10-23-2012, 09:31 PM
Dd1 was 7 but if she takes care of her things I see no reason not to get one sooner.

essnce629
10-24-2012, 02:49 AM
My BF's DD is 6 and just started asking for an AG doll and drooling over the catalogs and AG website. I think she's going to get her one for Christmas.

citymama
10-24-2012, 02:54 AM
Ha, is this related to the new catalog? My DD caught ours before I got a chance to recycle it and it is her new obsession. She looks at it almost daily and is in love with Josefina, Marie-Grace, Cecile and Julie. She is begging for one for her 7th birthday and I think she will be ready at that age. She has a Gotz 18 inch doll she never plays with and several other 12-14 inch dolls that barely get looked at. She has one native American doll she likes a lot, I think because it looks more like her than the other blond dolls her grandma buys her. (I haven't bought a single one.)

She has glasses so I considered Molly but she doesn't seem like as interesting a historical character. Does anyone's DD have one of these dolls mentioned here, and if so, do you like the story and accessories?

brittone2
10-24-2012, 08:07 AM
Any word yet on which doll(s) may be getting discontinued? DD requested Kit or Josefina, but then narrowed it down to Kit. If Josefina is getting d/c, I'd probably pick her up and save her for another holiday or bday.

I don't follow the AG news very closely...I just read somewhere a few months ago that one or two more dolls will probably get d/c soon.

2 days ago at Costco I saw they have AG activity sets...not sure how much play value they have. About $44 or so I think...they had a movie theatre and a few other themes that I can't remember because I was trying to look quickly before DD saw me (she was off with DH). I only scanned the box quickly but it looked like cardboardish stuff? I didn't think they looked that great for the price. Did anyone else look closely?

lizzywednesday
10-24-2012, 09:32 AM
Ha, is this related to the new catalog? My DD caught ours before I got a chance to recycle it and it is her new obsession. She looks at it almost daily and is in love with Josefina, Marie-Grace, Cecile and Julie. ...

My cousins have/had Josefina and she is a gorgeous doll.

I actually want Cecile & Marie-Grace for myself!! The intertwined stories just seem so interesting to me and their world is very detailed.

She has glasses so I considered Molly but she doesn't seem like as interesting a historical character. Does anyone's DD have one of these dolls mentioned here, and if so, do you like the story and accessories?

I have Molly; she was my Christmas present when I was 11.

I'm not sure why you don't feel Molly is "as interesting" from a historical standpoint - her stories are quite a lot of fun! - can you explain why? Yes, she's a white kid who lives in Illinois, but WWII was a fascinating time on the home front. Lots of the things we do today from a "save the planet" standpoint started because of rationing during the War - recycling cans and glass bottles, reusing items in new ways (like baking bread in a coffee can, etc.), hand-making Halloween costumes and Christmas tree ornaments - or even women in the workforce on a large scale (Molly's mom works outside the home and her dad is a Captain in the Army, serving overseas as a doctor) ...

Neatfreak
10-24-2012, 09:43 AM
The movie about Molly is fantastic, too (Molly Ringwald plays her mom)!

lizzywednesday
10-24-2012, 09:47 AM
The movie about Molly is fantastic, too (Molly Ringwald plays her mom)!

Based on the description, I think it's based on the last book in her "regular" series. (I haven't read any of the mysteries or Elizabeth's book as they came out after I'd "outgrown" my dolls.)

Melaine
10-24-2012, 09:48 AM
I love the Molly stories, but I have a soft spot for the "originals"...Molly, Samantha and Kirsten. IMO, there is more historical fiction aimed at young girls available for the other time periods....our more recent America history sometimes gets overlooked. So I think Molly is also great for that reason.

lizzywednesday
10-24-2012, 02:13 PM
I love the Molly stories, but I have a soft spot for the "originals"...Molly, Samantha and Kirsten. IMO, there is more historical fiction aimed at young girls available for the other time periods....our more recent America history sometimes gets overlooked. So I think Molly is also great for that reason.

The thing I loved about Molly was being able to use her as a starting point for asking my mom's mom questions about what it was like to be a kid growing up in wartime.

In 1944, my grandma was 13, so she was a little older than Molly but she would have been 9 when Pearl Harbor was attacked in 1941, so she kind of spent her tweenage years working for the war effort.

It was really interesting to me to be able to ask if x, y or z thing had really happened or if my great-grandparents had done the things Molly and her friends' moms had done in the books.

That time spent talking, when I didn't think I had anything in common with my grandmother, was incredibly valuable to me!

Melaine
10-24-2012, 02:25 PM
The thing I loved about Molly was being able to use her as a starting point for asking my mom's mom questions about what it was like to be a kid growing up in wartime.

In 1944, my grandma was 13, so she was a little older than Molly but she would have been 9 when Pearl Harbor was attacked in 1941, so she kind of spent her tweenage years working for the war effort.

It was really interesting to me to be able to ask if x, y or z thing had really happened or if my great-grandparents had done the things Molly and her friends' moms had done in the books.

That time spent talking, when I didn't think I had anything in common with my grandmother, was incredibly valuable to me!

That's sweet! I used to love to read Reminisce magazine and would ask my grandparents about things I read. I was a strange kid, no doubt. :hysterical:

KrisM
10-25-2012, 07:59 AM
Any word yet on which doll(s) may be getting discontinued? DD requested Kit or Josefina, but then narrowed it down to Kit. If Josefina is getting d/c, I'd probably pick her up and save her for another holiday or bday.

I don't follow the AG news very closely...I just read somewhere a few months ago that one or two more dolls will probably get d/c soon.

2 days ago at Costco I saw they have AG activity sets...not sure how much play value they have. About $44 or so I think...they had a movie theatre and a few other themes that I can't remember because I was trying to look quickly before DD saw me (she was off with DH). I only scanned the box quickly but it looked like cardboardish stuff? I didn't think they looked that great for the price. Did anyone else look closely?

I've read people think it'll be Molly next. But, not until spring, since they have a new doll now and want to sell her and the GOTY.

I haven't seen the Costco stuff. Sam's had a set for McKenna with a bunch of hair things, 2 books, etc for $15 that I picked up.

I thnk you must have seen this: http://store.americangirl.com/agshop/html/item/id/228759/uid/136

Here's a picture from the description:
http://store.americangirl.com/images/F1853_main_5.jpg

brittone2
10-25-2012, 08:23 AM
I've read people think it'll be Molly next. But, not until spring, since they have a new doll now and want to sell her and the GOTY.

I haven't seen the Costco stuff. Sam's had a set for McKenna with a bunch of hair things, 2 books, etc for $15 that I picked up.

I thnk you must have seen this: http://store.americangirl.com/agshop/html/item/id/228759/uid/136

Here's a picture from the description:
http://store.americangirl.com/images/F1853_main_5.jpg
That's it. Costco had that and 2 other similar sets I think. Looking at their site I am fairly sure the other two were the diner and flight sets. I wasn't sure if DD would really get a lot of play out of these...interesting though. Again, at Costco I think it was 44.xx.

Thanks for the info about Molly.

lizzywednesday
10-25-2012, 09:54 AM

Thanks for the info about Molly.

So, in other words, ask for Molly's Christmas dress & PJ set for my birthday. Gotcha.

Seitvonzu
10-25-2012, 10:04 AM
those cardboard scenes look like the perfect candidates for the black friday sale-- overpriced, but cute as an "impulse" (even at 30 dollars when half off)-- still,since they are new, might have to wait for next year.

i really like the concept of them-- the airplane set is my favorite because it's novel and our little animals/people are always "traveling" somewhere.

i hadn't seen those, so neat! :)

citymama
10-25-2012, 10:41 AM
I have Molly; she was my Christmas present when I was 11.

I'm not sure why you don't feel Molly is "as interesting" from a historical standpoint - her stories are quite a lot of fun! - can you explain why? Yes, she's a white kid who lives in Illinois, but WWII was a fascinating time on the home front. Lots of the things we do today from a "save the planet" standpoint started because of rationing during the War - recycling cans and glass bottles, reusing items in new ways (like baking bread in a coffee can, etc.), hand-making Halloween costumes and Christmas tree ornaments - or even women in the workforce on a large scale (Molly's mom works outside the home and her dad is a Captain in the Army, serving overseas as a doctor) ...

Thanks for your feedback on the dolls - I apologize, of course all the dolls are extremely interesting. I'm not sure what led to that particular word choice, but I think she's less "glamorous" than some of the other dolls, not less interesting by any means.

KrisM
10-25-2012, 10:53 AM
those cardboard scenes look like the perfect candidates for the black friday sale-- overpriced, but cute as an "impulse" (even at 30 dollars when half off)-- still,since they are new, might have to wait for next year.

i really like the concept of them-- the airplane set is my favorite because it's novel and our little animals/people are always "traveling" somewhere.

i hadn't seen those, so neat! :)

I bought a different one as part of the last chance sale. I wanted to use the $10 off $50 code and needed $16. It was $25. I figured since I would have paid $8 in shipping, it was really only $19 :). I got this one: http://store.americangirl.com/agshop/html/item/id/228607/uid/906

http://store.americangirl.com/images/G2076_main_3.jpg

I think all the birthday food and banner, plus the party book, etc will make it well worth $19. I am going to give it to her when she's a bit older, but she'll love it.

brittone2
10-25-2012, 10:59 AM
I bought a different one as part of the last chance sale. I wanted to use the $10 off $50 code and needed $16. It was $25. I figured since I would have paid $8 in shipping, it was really only $19 :). I got this one: http://store.americangirl.com/agshop/html/item/id/228607/uid/906

http://store.americangirl.com/images/G2076_main_3.jpg

I think all the birthday food and banner, plus the party book, etc will make it well worth $19. I am going to give it to her when she's a bit older, but she'll love it.

That's cute. I know I wouldn't pay 60 for the sets on AG right now. 44 from Costco isn't too bad...I'm just not sure how much she'd enjoy it...hard for me to determine. I think she'd like it. At $20-30 or under, I'm quite sure it would be worth it ;)

eta: when I saw those at costco, I didn't realize the book things came with it. I know we've purchased the "doll dining" activity book thing before for a friend (little restaurant pad, plates, etc.) and that is about $20 at full price. That makes the costco price more appealing to me. I might look for these on sale on the AG site and see how it compares to the costco price. Thanks for pointing out the book/activity set that comes with it, because I missed that initially. I literally only took 30 sec to look at Costco as DD was coming around the corner ;)

lizzywednesday
10-25-2012, 01:38 PM
Thanks for your feedback on the dolls - I apologize, of course all the dolls are extremely interesting. I'm not sure what led to that particular word choice, but I think she's less "glamorous" than some of the other dolls, not less interesting by any means.

Absolutely, I'll agree that she's less glamorous than a Marie-Grace, Cecile, Samantha or Caroline ... but that's not necessarily a bad thing, in my opinion.

I love Molly's story quite a lot, so I hope that came across in my posts about her instead of making you feel on the defensive.

boolady
10-25-2012, 04:01 PM
I just ordered DD her first AG today for Christmas-- Caroline. She's loved her since she first saw her. I have no idea why, since DD has straight brown hair and brown eyes, but we've read a few of the historical books together already, and I got my Samantha doll out of the attic about 6 weeks ago to see if she would take care of her the way she should. She's been incredibly careful and respectful of the doll, so I decided to take the plunge while there's free shipping. She just turned 6 last weekend.

Apparently the Girl of the Year for 2013's name is Saige. It sounds like the doll lives in the southwest and enjoys the arts-- painting and reading-- and riding horses.

Seitvonzu
10-25-2012, 04:26 PM
boolady-- caroline is GORGEOUS. i want her for myself... her coat set is DEFINITELY coming to live her... a present for *me*

i got Cecile last year.... she's so lovely and when her and Marie Grace came out last year i was literally enchanted :) I swear that part of my soul lives in New Orleans-- there stuff is so lovely. just lovelovelove!

then caroline...

AG gets me everytime :) i'll never catch up! oh wait-- was this about CHILDREN and dolls ? :)

KrisM
10-25-2012, 04:27 PM
That's cute. I know I wouldn't pay 60 for the sets on AG right now. 44 from Costco isn't too bad...I'm just not sure how much she'd enjoy it...hard for me to determine. I think she'd like it. At $20-30 or under, I'm quite sure it would be worth it ;)

eta: when I saw those at costco, I didn't realize the book things came with it. I know we've purchased the "doll dining" activity book thing before for a friend (little restaurant pad, plates, etc.) and that is about $20 at full price. That makes the costco price more appealing to me. I might look for these on sale on the AG site and see how it compares to the costco price. Thanks for pointing out the book/activity set that comes with it, because I missed that initially. I literally only took 30 sec to look at Costco as DD was coming around the corner ;)

They have them at Sam's for $44 now too, in case someone is looking. They are big and heavy. I do think a lot of stuff come with them, accessories and a book, etc. I wouldn't pay $60, but might pay $44. That even seems like a lot to me.

abh5e8
10-25-2012, 11:35 PM
dd is 5 (will be 6 in Jan), and is in LOVE with AG. she has the bitty twins and bitty baby and carries around the catalog until it falls apart. i know she would be thrilled with a full size AG doll this christmas, but she is still pretty into the more baby doll aspect of the bitty and bitty twins, so i think i'm going to hold off. i love the books and dolls as a child, and can't wait to get dd one (or some...grin) of her own. its good to hear others dd's were into them at age 7 and 8, as i do want her to have plenty of time to enjoy them.

MMMommy
10-26-2012, 12:08 AM
I saw the AG play sets at Costco today. They were definitely the Dining, Stage, and Plane sets that are sold for $60 at AG. I picked up the dining and plane set for DDs as possible Xmas gifts. Still undecided, but I do think DDs would like them, especially the plane one. Seems pricey even at $44 for a cardboard play set. But since AG is always pretty pricey, perhaps it is considered a good price.

citymama
10-26-2012, 12:11 AM
DD is now all about Kaya! How do we find out which dolls are going to be discontinued? She's also been interested in Josefina, but would only be getting one doll. I'd hate to miss out on either one if they're going to be discontinued next year.

KrisM
10-26-2012, 10:10 AM
DD is now all about Kaya! How do we find out which dolls are going to be discontinued? She's also been interested in Josefina, but would only be getting one doll. I'd hate to miss out on either one if they're going to be discontinued next year.

People are just guessing which might get discontinued. I don't think anyone will know until it's announced. I think you'll have plenty of time to get one after it's announced. They won't just pull them from the shelves one day and say that's it. You'll get notice to buy before she's gone.