PDA

View Full Version : What vitamins do YOU take?

KDsMommy
10-23-2012, 09:29 AM
I'm currently stealing DS' Lil Critters gummy vites but am thinking I should probably be taking something formulated for adults. So what vitamins do you take? Where do you get them?

brittone2
10-23-2012, 09:37 AM
D3, probiotics at times, magnesium.

Pyrodjm
10-23-2012, 09:39 AM
Trader Joe's prenatal, d drops

maestramommy
10-23-2012, 10:00 AM
Nature Made prenatal multi
Tums for calcium
Nature Made 1000 iu D
Fish oil.

Actually we have fish oil coming out of ears, but after we're done I'm going to experiment with not eating any but eating fish 3-4 times a week instead. Then I'm going to ask to have all our mercury levels tested in a year.

the reason for this is my parents were eating a lot of fish because of my mom's cancer. Then one day they had their mercury levels tested and found the levels were pretty high. their PCP rec'd eating only farmed fish. But I thought farmed fish is supposed to have pretty poor levels of omega 3s. I feel like you just can't win. Still it's worth a year's of experimenting.

karstmama
10-23-2012, 10:00 AM
the walmart brand centrum, because they're inexpensive & dbf also takes them so i don't want 'women's vitamins'. then i add a calcium, a biotin (for hair & nails), a fish or krill oil, and a baby aspirin. he takes the vitamin, a lutein (for his eyes), a baby aspirin, and a fish or krill oil.

brittone2
10-23-2012, 10:01 AM
Nature Made prenatal multi
Tums for calcium
Nature Made 1000 iu D
Fish oil.

Actually we have fish oil coming out of ears, but after we're done I'm going to experiment with not eating any but eating fish 3-4 times a week instead. Then I'm going to ask to have all our mercury levels tested in a year.

the reason for this is my parents were eating a lot of fish because of my mom's cancer. Then one day they had their mercury levels tested and found the levels were pretty high. their PCP rec'd eating only farmed fish. But I thought farmed fish is supposed to have pretty poor levels of omega 3s. I feel like you just can't win. Still it's worth a year's of experimenting.

Were they eating the higher mercury fish?
You could try small fish if your kids will go for that. Sardines, etc.

lizzywednesday
10-23-2012, 10:11 AM
TJ's women's once-daily multi and 1000-3000mg softgels of evening primrose oil during my period.

Since I find the multi helps me feel less run-down, I'll keep taking it.

daisysmom
10-23-2012, 10:54 AM
I paid a visit to the vitamin person at WF's this summer and she set me up. I take:
- 2 multivitamins (these are mini-sized, so mucheasier to swallow)
-2 magnesiums (these have cured my hormonal migraines)
- 2 fish oils (also mini sized)
- 3,000 of vitamin D (with that over a year or so, I have gotten from 29 to 60)

pinkmomagain
10-23-2012, 11:30 AM
Fish oil
Vit D
Align probiotic

mommylamb
10-23-2012, 11:34 AM
Pre natal with DHA
Fish Oil
D3

queenmama
10-23-2012, 11:37 AM
Funny, I take my vitamins daily but I couldn't tell you exactly what they are!

For sure there's a prenatal, and a calcium (which I think also has magnesium), vitamin D, DHA, fish oil, and I take probiotics as needed, too.

All are either Nature's Sunshine or Dr. Whitaker.

(edited because I went and checked!)

maestramommy
10-23-2012, 11:41 AM
Were they eating the higher mercury fish?
You could try small fish if your kids will go for that. Sardines, etc.

They were probably eating salmon and mackerel, since those are the fish I hear them mention most. I *think* mackerel is high in mercury and other pcb's right? Anyway, all of our kids cept Laurel love canned sardines, so we stock up on that. But it's hard to imagine how to serve that for dinner. Usually we have it at Sunday lunch with noodles.

Also, what's the take on tuna? I don't get the albacore, I get the other kind. Is that generally okay to eat regularly?

waitingforgrace
10-23-2012, 11:50 AM
I paid a visit to the vitamin person at WF's this summer and she set me up. I take:
- 2 multivitamins (these are mini-sized, so mucheasier to swallow)
-2 magnesiums (these have cured my hormonal migraines)
- 2 fish oils (also mini sized)
- 3,000 of vitamin D (with that over a year or so, I have gotten from 29 to 60)

Mind if I ask which fish oil is mini sized? I hate swallowing big pills. TIA

KDsMommy
10-23-2012, 12:08 PM
What's your take on the B vitamins? I keep hearing they are good for mood, stress, heart health, etc.

brittone2
10-23-2012, 12:09 PM
They were probably eating salmon and mackerel, since those are the fish I hear them mention most. I *think* mackerel is high in mercury and other pcb's right? Anyway, all of our kids cept Laurel love canned sardines, so we stock up on that. But it's hard to imagine how to serve that for dinner. Usually we have it at Sunday lunch with noodles.

Also, what's the take on tuna? I don't get the albacore, I get the other kind. Is that generally okay to eat regularly?
Yeah, mackerel is a higher merc. fish. My understanding is that farmed fish are still often still living in the ocean, so there can still be mercury, PCB, etc. concerns. http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=farm-raised-fish-not-free-mercury-pcb-dioxin And yes, tilapia and other farmed fish often have poor omega ratios and so forth that have been raised as concerns http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/02/science/earth/02tilapia.html?pagewanted=all http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/07/080708092228.htm Some experts think not only may it not have the benefits that many people associate with fish, but that it may actually be detrimental and pro-inflammatory.

Farmed fish also have the antibiotic and other chemical concerns...testing of imports is known to be very limited, and banned substances, including carcinogens, have been detected (nitrofuran and malachite green mentioned in this piece) http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2011/11/10/142220310/farmed-tilapia-with-a-dash-of-antibiotic

brittone2
10-23-2012, 12:13 PM

The more recent testing of tuna that I'm aware of shows there can be pretty substantial fluctuation in mercury levels even in non albacore tuna.

Consumer Reports on their testing, which showed there are occasional spikes in the mercury content of the non-albacore tuna
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine-archive/2011/january/food/mercury-in-tuna/how-much-tuna/index.htm
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/04/mercury-in-canned-tuna-is-still-a-concern/index.htm

AnnieW625
10-23-2012, 12:19 PM
Rainbow Light or Whole Foods generic no iron once a day multi
Carlson's 2000iu of vitamin D3, 3 tabs per day
Nature's Bounty B-12
Biotin, 1000mg (or is it iu? I can't remember)
Nature Made Magnesium, 400mg, x2
Caltrate Calcium, 1000 mg

Carlson's fish oil when I remember to take it.

catsnkid
10-23-2012, 12:31 PM
Generic multivitamins (centrum like) from BJ's,
Vitamin D 1000 every other day.
My doc had found me with low vit D too and after monitoring for a couple years this is the dose that works for me to maintain a healthy level.

minnie-zb
10-23-2012, 12:41 PM
Omega's
Magnesium
Vitamin D
B Vitamins
Vitamin C

No multi-vitamin

boilermakermom
10-23-2012, 12:44 PM
Um, the occasional Kirkland adult multivitamin. Jeff really gave much thought to what I should be taking.....uh oh!

star04
10-23-2012, 12:46 PM
Currently, Women's One-a-day gummy multivitamins. I hate swallowing pills.

daisysmom
10-23-2012, 12:52 PM
Mind if I ask which fish oil is mini sized? I hate swallowing big pills. TIA

I don't have them at work to tell you and I can't recall the name on the bottle but they say ultimate minis or something. The whole foods person was so helpful and they have a lot of minis for people that can't swallow the bigger ones.

awoodm
10-23-2012, 12:56 PM
Women's Multi (1 day, Alive!)
Ginkgo Biloba (2x day)
Acetyl l-carnitine (2x day)
Complete B (once every other day or so)

MoeJoe
10-23-2012, 01:02 PM
Prenatal
Calcium
Vit D

Don't remember the details...

m448
10-23-2012, 01:26 PM
Liquid d3 drops (just had my levels tested and had a dramatic increase from last year which was great)
Natural factors omega 3
Jarro pro biotic (the original one without FOS)
Jarrow quercetin

At night I drink a small glass of natural calm magnesium powder dissolved in water. Awesome for restless legs, great for relaxing before bed and even better for around PMS/period week.

cono0507
10-23-2012, 02:35 PM
I take these:
http://smartypantsvitamins.com/smartypants-gummy-vitamins-for-grown-ups/All-in-One
It is Gummy Multivitamin + Omega 3 + Vitamin D for grownups. :)

infomama
10-23-2012, 03:02 PM
Do you guys feel noticeably worse when you don't take your vitamins?

minnie-zb
10-23-2012, 03:06 PM

I do, but I can't keep Vitamin D in my body unless I'm taking a supplement. I've also found the Magnesium and B Vitamins have had a big impact.

infomama
10-23-2012, 03:07 PM
Natural Calm sounds great.....must get some. I wonder how to figure out which vitamins I should take.

awoodm
10-23-2012, 03:13 PM

I notice a difference - that's how I knew they were working!

daniele_ut
10-23-2012, 04:35 PM
When I remember:

Prenatal until the bottle is gone then I will get another multi (I don't really need prenatals anymore since I have had a hyst. No chance of pregnancy again!)

D3

Calcium

m448
10-23-2012, 04:57 PM
The natural calm is awesome stuff. Everyone in my family takes it, kids and adults alike. We do the sweet lemon flavor and if you let it sit for a bit (for the reaction similar to alka seltzer to happen) then the slightly salty tang is gone and you're left with just the flat, lemon flavored drink.

I had crazy restless leg issues and then read that magnesium is one of the first minerals to be depleted in stressful times. See my siggie down there (except that it will be all under 9 next week)? Add that, my own ADD and homeschooling. Magnesium is also supposed to help with PMS and I find that the natural calm takes off the edge.

As far as the vitamin D and omegas I can definitely tell a difference when not on them. My mood, energy level and mental clarity all suffer when I don't take them. The quercetin is for my milk asthma that returned as an adult. If I stop taking it for more than 2 weeks I can hear myself wheezing and my allergies ramp up in the spring/fall.

The probiotic is just for general gut health and as a way to boost my immune system. I'm kind of an off the wall freak when it comes to trying something so I'm constantly rotating stuff in and out for trials. That's just the basic list of must-haves for me.

infomama
10-23-2012, 05:07 PM
The natural calm is awesome stuff. Everyone in my family takes it, kids and adults alike. We do the sweet lemon flavor and if you let it sit for a bit (for the reaction similar to alka seltzer to happen) then the slightly salty tang is gone and you're left with just the flat, lemon flavored drink.

I had crazy restless leg issues and then read that magnesium is one of the first minerals to be depleted in stressful times. See my siggie down there (except that it will be all under 9 next week)? Add that, my own ADD and homeschooling. Magnesium is also supposed to help with PMS and I find that the natural calm takes off the edge.

As far as the vitamin D and omegas I can definitely tell a difference when not on them. My mood, energy level and mental clarity all suffer when I don't take them. The quercetin is for my milk asthma that returned as an adult. If I stop taking it for more than 2 weeks I can hear myself wheezing and my allergies ramp up in the spring/fall.

The probiotic is just for general gut health and as a way to boost my immune system. I'm kind of an off the wall freak when it comes to trying something so I'm constantly rotating stuff in and out for trials. That's just the basic list of must-haves for me.
Great info. No calcium? That's the first thing my GYN asks if I'm taking every year...

m448
10-23-2012, 05:41 PM
Not at the moment. I did take a cal/mag supplement before I found the natural calm. However I eat plenty of dairy, egg and calcium rich veg. Might go back on the cal/mag in several months.

ett
10-23-2012, 06:30 PM
Women's Multi
B Complex
Vitamin C
Calcium
Fish oil

hillview
10-23-2012, 08:46 PM
JUST started. Rainbow multi and fish oil.

essnce629
10-24-2012, 02:52 AM
Prenatal
Fish Oil
Probiotics
Vitamin D
Magnesium
Calcium

lovebebes
10-24-2012, 03:06 AM
Cod liver oil
Bio K (sometimes, too $ to do all the time)
Biotin (just started a month ago)
Sun Chlorella (sometimes, too $$ to do all the time)
Vitamin D drops

I also make a green shake with spinach/kale to which i add Spirulina.

lovebebes
10-24-2012, 03:32 AM
Liquid d3 drops (just had my levels tested and had a dramatic increase from last year which was great)
Natural factors omega 3
Jarro pro biotic (the original one without FOS)
Jarrow quercetin

At night I drink a small glass of natural calm magnesium powder dissolved in water. Awesome for restless legs, great for relaxing before bed and even better for around PMS/period week.

Wow, thanks so much, just looked up the natural calm on amazon and ordered! Cant wait to try it!