PDA

View Full Version : babyfood cooker opinion

wangstar
10-23-2012, 11:14 AM
Can I get some user opinion on the top 3 babyfood cooker on the market?
Beaba
Baby Bullet and
Brezza

baringlake
10-23-2012, 11:53 AM
We had the Beaba for DS #1, and I'm glad we got it off the registry (ie, we didn't pay for it) because it seemed like a waste. The food didn't puree as smoothly as I'd like. We had a better time just steaming or cooking food normally and then using a regular food processor. That's what we plan to do with DS #2 (due in Dec.).

AshUVA
10-23-2012, 01:11 PM
Don't waste your money on one of these. We got one off our registry and I ended up returning it without even opening it because I could do everything with "regualr" kitchen things. You'll only use a baby food maker for a very short time. Its very easy to use a steamer on your stove and then a food processor, blender, hand blender, or just cut very finely with a knife.

edurnemk
10-23-2012, 01:37 PM
They are a waste of money, you only make purees for a couple of months and the baby food makers don't do anything a regular blender or stick blender doesn't do. DS lost interest in purees at 8-9 months, so this time with DD we may even skip them and go with Baby Led Weaning, but even if we don't i'll be using my blender (and steaming in a regular pot with a steaming insert like I always do for veggies).

rin
10-23-2012, 01:41 PM
Seconding PPs; don't waste your money/registry space. DD1 hardly ate any purees anyways, and what we did make we could do perfectly easily with a stick blender. Get a nice immersion blender--you can use it for soups/etc in the kitchen--and just steam/microwave the veggies/etc that you want to puree.

acmom
10-23-2012, 02:07 PM
We got a Beeba as a present - liked it and used it for both kids. But I now have an immersion blender for other cooking and I totally agree with PPs that it would do as good (maybe better) job as the Beeba did. You would also be able to do larger quantities by steaming/cooking in a bigger dish and then pureeing in that. I used to often do several cycles in the Beeba to make larger quantities to freeze.

mjs64
10-23-2012, 04:00 PM
They are a waste of money, you only make purees for a couple of months and the baby food makers don't do anything a regular blender or stick blender doesn't do. DS lost interest in purees at 8-9 months, so this time with DD we may even skip them and go with Baby Led Weaning, but even if we don't i'll be using my blender (and steaming in a regular pot with a steaming insert like I always do for veggies).

:yeahthat:
We were given one and never used it. Purée stage is so short and we ended up doing BLW too. Honestly, I only made a purée once, and I love to cook. Life was too hectic with an infant, and the jars were fine for the few months of rare use.

Jacksmommy2b
10-23-2012, 05:43 PM
I'll be the voice of dissent, I loved the beeba. Ds2 never ate out of a jar. :)

After the puree stage I would use it to seam a handful of veggies for the boys' lunch or just as a small food processor.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

wangstar
10-23-2012, 09:14 PM
I didn't put one on the registry for the same reasons; I have a very nice food processor and thought that the item doesn't have longevity.
It intrigued me because I was sucked into infomercial the other night.
I do like that fact that you steam and cook in one tool instead of using multiple kitchen appliances and have to wash them all after.

I guess my next question would be accessories, would it be worth it to get the portion containers and storages? What are the alternatives?

acmom
10-23-2012, 09:45 PM
I thought about getting some of the storage containers but ended up using several ice cube trays then popping the cubes in labeled freezer bags. I could get a lot more portions for cheaper that way (the specific baby food storage was pretty pricey in comparison). It also took up less room in my freezer and the smaller size portions gave me more flexibility for mixed purées, different ages etc.

edurnemk
10-23-2012, 09:47 PM
I thought about getting some of the storage containers but ended up using several ice cube trays then popping the cubes in labeled freezer bags. I could get a lot more portions for cheaper that way (the specific baby food storage was pretty pricey in comparison). It also took up less room in my freezer and the smaller size portions gave me more flexibility for mixed purées, different ages etc.

Same here.

stinkyfeet
10-23-2012, 10:12 PM
I bought the beaba for DS1, and I really liked it. I used it all of the time. I only had a big Chinese steamer at home, so it wasn't really practical for me to steam baby food items in such a big contraption.

I also didn't have a stick blender, blender, or food processor, or mini-food processor at the time, so a small appliance that could do it all was very appealing.

I thought I would use the Beaba for DS2, but he ended up not wanting anything to do with babyfood. He wanted table food right away, so I suppose he did the baby-led weaning thing.

LizLemon
10-23-2012, 10:29 PM
I had a Beaba and really liked it. I thought that cooking and pureeing all in one made it very convenient. Other people can look down on it all they want, but if it makes it easier for you to make food (and for me, it seemed easier than breaking out the food processer and I definitely got smoother purees than with the immersion blender) it's worth it.

In terms of the time factor, I was able to make food for my baby as a resident. It made me happy to make those glossy purees - just seemed like something nice I was doing for my daughter. I don't know what a PP was talking about with not being able to get smooth purees. I got silky smooth purees out of the Beaba.

What I tended to use most of the time for food storage was a silicone muffin tray. Would freeze individual portions in there then put the frozen portions in a freezer bag or container. Much more economical than the baby storage things they try to sell you.

jam224
10-24-2012, 01:21 AM
I guess my next question would be accessories, would it be worth it to get the portion containers and storages? What are the alternatives?

Freeze purees in 1 oz servings in silicone ice cube trays like this: http://www.buybuybaby.com/product.asp?SKU=16790354&RN=7125&. Once frozen, pop them out and store in large Ziploc bags. My friend, Shawna, posted a YouTube video of her system here: http://youtu.be/Rf5n2ph2-wg.

FWIW, we skipped purees and did Baby Led Weaning (http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Led-Weaning-Essential-Introducing-Confident/dp/161519021X/).