PDA

View Full Version : Chocolate lovers rejoice!

elektra
10-23-2012, 01:27 PM
The Trader Joe's Sipping Chocolate is back. :)

I have waited for this stuff since last winter and it is finally here!

It is the perfect sweet treat and only 90 calories (not including the milk)- you just take 1/3 cup of milk and use 3 Tbsp of the powder to make a super thick, rich little shot of heavenly elixir.

It is GOOD.

lizzywednesday
10-23-2012, 01:29 PM
I love real hot chocolate made with milk! I think I still have a tin of the spicy hot chocolate from last year in my pantry; if it hasn't turned, it might be a fun thing to consume this week.

Related but slightly off-topic: does anyone have a good method for heating milk so it doesn't have to be watched constantly (or make a mess) ???

arivecchi
10-23-2012, 01:45 PM
OMG. Why have I never tried this? Elektra, I'm coming right over. ;)

kara97210
10-23-2012, 01:50 PM
I bought 4 boxes of it over the weekend. :bag I think I may actually have a problem.

mommylamb
10-23-2012, 01:53 PM
'Tis the season for over eating because of TJ's yummy seasonal items. It's terrible. DH told me the other day that he thinks we should buy many boxes of Peppermint Joe Joes (our favorites) and freeze them so that they last throughout the year. I haven't seen them in stores yet, but I'm sure they're coming soon!

TwinFoxes
10-23-2012, 02:08 PM
My DDs have been bugging me to make hot chocolate since July, I kid you not. I told them to wait until Autumn, and now they are really pushing the issue. Of course it's in the 70s here, but Elektra, you've left me with no excuses. :)

liz
10-23-2012, 03:17 PM
Thank you for posting! It is my DH's birthday this week and I always like to give him something sweet- this will be a nice change from his usual M&M dark chocolate covered almonds.

BTW, where were they located in the store? I plan on making a quick stop tonight. TIA!

elektra
10-23-2012, 03:24 PM
Thank you for posting! It is my DH's birthday this week and I always like to give him something sweet- this will be a nice change from his usual M&M dark chocolate covered almonds.

BTW, where were they located in the store? I plan on making a quick stop tonight. TIA!

It's by the coffee. :)

elektra
10-23-2012, 03:25 PM

Yes, it's a must in the dessert drink repertoire. :)

AnnieW625
10-23-2012, 03:43 PM
It is soo good. It is a must. 1000x better than Peppermint Joe Joes. I love sipping hot cocoa next to a fire, and well it isn't fire place season quite yet here (and well I don't even have a fire place at my house!). I think the perfect time to come and visit you area as drinking hot cocoa when it is 70 out doesn't have the same feeling.

boolady
10-23-2012, 03:53 PM
It's by the coffee. :)

Did you happen to notice if the Wintry Blend coffee was out yet? DH and I were talking about this over the weekend...when it comes out this year, we're buying 4 or 5 cans at a minimum. We love it.

mytwosons
10-23-2012, 05:14 PM
I bought 4 boxes of it over the weekend. :bag I think I may actually have a problem.

I stockpiled so much of it over the past two years that I still have about a dozen containers in my stash. :bag

infomama
10-23-2012, 05:18 PM
I read that the ingredients changed from last year (cocoa powder as the first ingredient replaced by sugar as the first ingredient).
True?

urquie
10-23-2012, 05:40 PM
I think I still have a tin of the spicy hot chocolate from last year in my pantry; if it hasn't turned, it might be a fun thing to consume this week.

Related but slightly off-topic: does anyone have a good method for heating milk so it doesn't have to be watched constantly (or make a mess) ???

I never make the full "recipe" that Elektra posted... I'm afraid I couldn't stop! I just microwave a mug of milk, then put in 1 heaping tablespoon of mix.

The sipping chocolate is great, mixed with the spicy hot chocolate. :D

I stockpiled so much of it over the past two years that I still have about a dozen containers in my stash. :bag

I'm down to two, it's not worth the risk of running out!

I read that the ingredients changed from last year (cocoa powder as the first ingredient replaced by sugar as the first ingredient).
True?

Ingredients from last years stockpile...
Cocoa powder, cane sugar, chocolate liquor, cocoa butter

maestramommy
10-23-2012, 05:41 PM
Just saw this at TJs this afternoon! But I didn't get it because we still have unfinished cocoa. Will have to put it on a future list!

Mermanaid
10-23-2012, 07:22 PM
Ingredients from last years stockpile...
Cocoa powder, cane sugar, chocolate liquor, cocoa butter

I bought a tin of this so glad to hear it's so great! These are the same ingredients and order listed on my tin.

alexsmommy
10-23-2012, 09:35 PM

Can I come???

MamaMolly
10-23-2012, 09:40 PM
Oh this is the best, best, best stuff ever. Sigh. I really miss it!! :( Y'all have a mug for me!!

MamaMolly
10-23-2012, 09:41 PM

Alton Brown suggests using an electric kettle. I haven't tried it so YMMV.

legaleagle
10-23-2012, 09:56 PM

I microwave it in a Pyrex cup. Secret to avoiding the skin is to stir halfway through (also more evenly heated in general).

Pyrodjm
10-23-2012, 10:08 PM
Never tried it but I'm picking some up when I go tomorrow.

urquie
10-23-2012, 11:27 PM
I microwave it in a Pyrex cup. Secret to avoiding the skin is to stir halfway through (also more evenly heated in general).

:yeahthat:

essnce629
10-24-2012, 02:44 AM
True?

I was at TJ's today and saw it for the first time ever. I looked at the ingredients, and YES, the first ingredient was sugar. I had assumed it would be cocoa powder. I put it back and will continue making hot chocolate with regular TJ's unsweetened cocoa powder and xylitol.

lizzywednesday
10-24-2012, 09:07 AM
Alton Brown suggests using an electric kettle. I haven't tried it so YMMV.

With milk? That might work ... though I'd have to get an electric kettle.

infomama
10-24-2012, 11:58 AM
I was at TJ's today and saw it for the first time ever. I looked at the ingredients, and YES, the first ingredient was sugar. I had assumed it would be cocoa powder. I put it back and will continue making hot chocolate with regular TJ's unsweetened cocoa powder and xylitol.

well I scored. My Trader Joes has sipping chocolate and the first ingredient is cocoa powder! I wonder why the ingredients vary?

elektra
10-24-2012, 12:03 PM
well I scored. My Trader Joes has sipping chocolate and the first ingredient is cocoa powder! I wonder why the ingredients vary?

I looked at both of my boxes and one has cocoa power and the other has sugar.

The one I had happened to open first was the cocoa powder one and it tasted the same as last year.

I hate when they change stuff! First my hummus and now this. I am seriously considering writing Trader Joe's about it!
I guess I will see the difference when I open the second box- hopefully it is still as yummy. However, I might comb through them all to see if there are any cocoa powder ones left.

arivecchi
10-24-2012, 12:35 PM
Well, if sugar is the first ingredient, I'm definitely in! :tongue5: My doc thinks I need to gain some weight anyway. In fact, I'll double down with some joe-joes. Alexsmommy, you are most definitely invited! (Elektra, hope you don't mind me inviting people over on your behalf!)

sste
10-24-2012, 01:09 PM
Is this the european sipping chocolate? We bought some of that last week - - our kids will not drink milk period unless it it has vanilla or a little bit of sipping chocolate in it.

elektra
10-24-2012, 01:22 PM
Well, if sugar is the first ingredient, I'm definitely in! :tongue5: My doc thinks I need to gain some weight anyway. In fact, I'll double down with some joe-joes. Alexsmommy, you are most definitely invited! (Elektra, hope you don't mind me inviting people over on your behalf!)

Please come over and bring alexmommy! Like I said, I have two boxes of the stuff and plan to get more. :)

Is this the european sipping chocolate? We bought some of that last week - - our kids will not drink milk period unless it it has vanilla or a little bit of sipping chocolate in it.

sste, the description on the box mentions that it is inspired by European sipping chocolate, yes.

And while I prefer mine to be super thick (I mean I could almost eat it with a fork) the can says you can add more milk too and have it still taste good.

Kindra178
10-24-2012, 02:16 PM

Mine too. The second ingredient is sugar though. What's funny is the checkout person today was raving about how awesome this stuff was and how it has very little sugar. Because I had just checked, I said, "Well, actually, the second ingredient is sugar." He told me a lot of the customers end up adding more sugar to it.

mackmama
10-24-2012, 04:53 PM
Shoot I just saw this while in line at TJ's today. Is it basically hot chocolate? Sounds like I need to go back for it.

infomama
10-24-2012, 05:11 PM
Shoot I just saw this while in line at TJ's today. Is it basically hot chocolate? Sounds like I need to go back for it.
I don't think it's like hot chocolate..she says it's like a melted chocolate bar. Here's the post on TJ's sipping chocolate....
www.glutenfreeportland.org/2009/12/22/product-review-trader-joes-sipping-chocolate/ (http://www.glutenfreeportland.org/2009/12/22/product-review-trader-joes-sipping-chocolate/)

and another that compares a few....www.lafujimama.com/2008/11/drink-me-drinking-chocolate/

urquie
10-25-2012, 01:28 AM

If you don't follow the instructions, and add much less mix, then it will taste like hot chocolate, but more chocolatey than sugary.

joonbug
10-25-2012, 10:04 AM
Heading to TJs today! Never tried it, actually just started shopping there recently.

anonomom
10-25-2012, 11:19 AM
For those who don't have a TJ's nearby, Target sells an Archer Farm brand hot chocolate that also has real chocolate in it (as opposed to cocoa powder). It is DIVINE.

As for heating milk, I splurged on a Nespresso frother last year and I adore it. I use it every single day to make my coffee. It's pricey (I got mine free when Frontgate did a gift card promo), but it saves me about $15 a week since I no longer buy Starbucks. And the interior is nonstick so it's easy to clean with a quick rinse.

http://www.amazon.com/Nespresso-3194-Us-Bk-Aeroccino-Frother-Black/dp/B004D4K2U2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1351178275&sr=8-2&keywords=nespresso+milk+frother